Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > Trail Runs and Events
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

Big Rock Labor day weekend?

Been a while since i have been able to really wheel.

a small group of us are thinking of heading to Big Rock for the First time saturday the 3rd if anyone is interested.

most of us have been there on quads, but never in trucks/jeeps or the like. the more the merrier
Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
xxj

I'm down for that day.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

cool. i think we are trying to get down there around 10 or so. might have a few of us meeting at the county market around 9 to convoy down.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Red Dog
Red Dog

Wanna go but may have to work that day.:mad: I will know for sure Friday. Should be a good day, only a slight chance of rain.

Jon
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
frankensteinxj

Me and a few guys might be interested in checkin it out.
We've never been.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

i have been many times on quads, but not at all in the last 4 years or so and never in trucks so it will be like the first time again for me.

a few who were originally gonna go with me backed out, but seems there is still a decent group gonna show. Mostly DD's with a few dedicated trail rigs such as mine.

hope you all can make it, only wheeled with a couple Core Members.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
xxj

still looking forward to this....gotta bring the DD since my trail rig is still experiencing some brake issues. Probably arrive around 9:30am so I can get aired down and ready to go.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
boomhauer

don't expect much except trailriding. a few of us went there for the 1st time after the benefit and we were not at all impressed. not to mention he said he was going to raise the pricethe following weekend...20.00 per rig and 10.00 per passenger.
95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!
boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer View Post
don't expect much except trailriding. a few of us went there for the 1st time after the benefit and we were not at all impressed. not to mention he said he was going to raise the pricethe following weekend...20.00 per rig and 10.00 per passenger.
It's a work in progress. It's not exactly hardcore, but there is some good stuff. We found a lot of hills and trails we had never seen before the last time we went. You have to keep scouting. $10 for a passenger makes no sense except to make cents... One reason I don't like Hasbin...
93 Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Krawler View Post
It's a work in progress. It's not exactly hardcore, but there is some good stuff. We found a lot of hills and trails we had never seen before the last time we went. You have to keep scouting. $10 for a passenger makes no sense except to make cents... One reason I don't like Hasbin...

trails are fine by me. thats what i like, the tighter the better as well.

and that price is better than other places. some places charge teh same for driver and passenger both.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxj View Post
still looking forward to this....gotta bring the DD since my trail rig is still experiencing some brake issues. Probably arrive around 9:30am so I can get aired down and ready to go.
me and a few of us will be meeting in independence about 9 or so. i know of two DD taco's and a DD YJ coming along with me for sure.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
jwend
Did I offend you?

Send a message via AIM to jwend
I think it is ridiculous that places charge for passengers... as if the sport isn't expensive enough anyway.. that's how you end up with dishonest HASPIN customers.. charge me more for my rig to come in but not for my passengers. By the time you go to one of those parks for a 4 day weekend and pay you could go to harlan that charges a one year flat rate.. and is 10k acres
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwend View Post
I think it is ridiculous that places charge for passengers... as if the sport isn't expensive enough anyway.. that's how you end up with dishonest HASPIN customers.. charge me more for my rig to come in but not for my passengers. By the time you go to one of those parks for a 4 day weekend and pay you could go to harlan that charges a one year flat rate.. and is 10k acres
I must say i do not disagree. But it is a business just like anything else. and To insure a place like an offroad park is outrageous. i don't mind a $5 charge for a passenger, but any more than that is overkill IMO, especially when places charge the same for drivers and passengers both.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
comanchedude
COMANCHE NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwend View Post
I think charging for passangers should be keep to a minumum for sure. but I like to support local wheeling places like big rock and Haspin .if i want to drive 4-5 hours each way and spend 150.00 or more just on gas to get to harlen that for me is a one time a year deal and due to the long distance would be for several days. I like that I can go to Haspin or big rock for less than 75 bucks and drive less than 2 hours each way and have a great day trip. or stay and extra day or two and my math says its still cheaper than harlen just due to the cost of getting there and back in gas cost alone. thats just me. I dont like to drive half a day or more every time I want to go offroading so I support the local places as often as I can.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

So is the issue charging for passengers? or that it's a $10 fee for a passenger? Do you think there is a plus to having a two day pass that's a slight discount maybe?

Not that I know anything, but Duke is always interested in constructive feedback.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Jonesy

From talking to Bill at 491 the reason he charges the same for a passenger as the driver is insurance. The way his policy is written they make no distinction as to which seat you are sitting in, just that you are on the property. I know that at least 50% of the cost of entry goes straight to insurance if not more. Dirty turtle has a slightly different set up that when you become a "member" by buying the sticker you are subject to different insurance setup ups. And as a member you can't sue yourself or something like that.

That being said, I don't mind paying full price as a passenger. Heck I spend more than that for a couple rounds of bowling, round of golf, or a decent dinner. Plus it helps keep my local riding spots open for a minimum contribution.

Edit: and with that being said, anyone have an open seat that is going down? My yota won't be back together but I'd like to tag along.

83 Toyota - beater
87 Toyota Truggy
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
jwend
Did I offend you?

Send a message via AIM to jwend
I am all for supporting local places to wheel. But 15 or 20 per person per day is alot.. my position is that it is a hour and forty five mins for me to go to big rock or haspin and about a 1hour and a half more to go to harlan which i pay 35 or what ever for a years pass. If i wheel big rock or haspin with two passangers for 4 days it is 60 or 45 a day thats 240 or 135.. it cost me less to go to harlan.. not saying i wont or dont go to big rock or haspin i love the owners of both and like their parks.. but...... for that much money I am south bound... but i am lucky in the aspect i am closer to harlan and slade than anyone else...
Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

If only Harlan was as close as Big Rock...
93 Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

The fee is $5 per adult passenger in a full size rig or SxS. I'm asking age for "adult" will post when I hear.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

If you've not heard Big Rock is having a Poker Run on Labor Day:

We’re going to have a Poker Run on Labor Day, and give you a chance to win a little CASH! It will be $5 a hand with CASH payout to the winner(s)! Sign-up begins at 9:30am, the Poker Run begins at 11:00am and ends at 5:00pm. We’ll be sending you to all corners of the park so be ready to ride!

Looks like the weather for the Poker Run will be perfect , with a high in the upper 70′s!

We will be having a Night Ride , for those that are sticking around Saturday night!

The Snackbar will be serving Domino’s Pizza by the Slice, the entire weekend!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #21
gryphon

Has anyone here camped there? The wifey and I are looking to get out and camp and have some fun this weekend. Big rock might be perfect for some easy trails with the 3yr old and puppy.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
Flxratd
Retired

yes a few of us have. i think he only has like 3 electric sites but its nice and grassy and right above the main parking lot. not big but does have a nice tree line to break up the sun or wind a bit but you should be out riding when shade is needed so no problem. i think it would be a great place for you to try out.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
xxj

just an FYI....
I'll look for you guys, I'll be driving one of those 4 door jeeps. It's green.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxj View Post
just an FYI....
I'll look for you guys, I'll be driving one of those 4 door jeeps. It's green.
I'll keep an eye out. I'll be in probably the ugliest Grand Cherokee you will ever see. it is green and not a straight piece of sheet metal to be found on it. Most likely running around with a black YJ and a Black Taco with tube doors.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #25
Red Dog
Red Dog

Gotta work I'm out :(
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote