Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > Tech and How-To
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Solid mounts

Was thinking about making solid mounts on my rig to keep everything from moving around when I'm beating on it. I have poly mounts on the engine and trans now, and now realize after breaking the tail end of 2 transmissions that I need some kind of mount on the rear of the stock t-case. What are the pros and cons of using solid mounts? I'm sure vibrations are a con, but what else? I'm wondering if the poly mounts are any good to begin with.
93 Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
humpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Krawler View Post
Was thinking about making solid mounts on my rig to keep everything from moving around when I'm beating on it. I have poly mounts on the engine and trans now, and now realize after breaking the tail end of 2 transmissions that I need some kind of mount on the rear of the stock t-case. What are the pros and cons of using solid mounts? I'm sure vibrations are a con, but what else? I'm wondering if the poly mounts are any good to begin with.

My .02 is upgrade your t case crossmember to support the t case AND to support any rotational force... A good t case mount really needs to attach in at least 2 places... Something on centerline and somethin off one one side to protect from rotation and splitting end of your trans off... I would stay away from solid mounts because with chassis flex u will transferring problem to a different point... But again that's just what I have learned over the years
Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Nuts

I've had both and never had any trouble out of either except the vibrations with the solid mounts.

No matter what make them all solid or all bushings but do not use both.
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
carwash
pimpin' IS easy

Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
The best way is to make sure you have the same amount of movement or lack of movement at every point. When movement is in different ranges, stuff breaks. Auxiliary mount on the tcase is a great thing.

carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Thanks for the input. It looks like the trans mount is junk. I'm going to get a new poly trans mount and fab up a mount for the t-case. Better not break this time.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Waffle
This message has been deleted by Waffle.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
If your up to it kevin, I'd gladly help you fab a rear mount like mine. It would take awhile but worth it. Here's what I'm talkin bout..... it's not a pic of my yota, but same mount I have.
I'm game. I was thinking along those lines, but only catching 2 or 3 bolts on the case on each side. Where are those pics from? Wondering what diameter bushings to use. Like a shock or sway bar bushing?

Also thinking about making something to attach the trans and t-case together where the trans and t-case adapter mounts are? That should be more solid than just the 4 bolts in the tail.

Will probably start on that tonight. Already got the tranny and t-case back in. I'd like to go wheelin somewhere next weekend so you can try out your rig.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
humpy

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...t_Code=BUSHDOM
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Waffle
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
My rig? Well sheeeeeaaaaaaatt. Guess I'll start finishing mine up.
What ya waitin on, Christmas... The garage is sittin there empty waitin on ya...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Waffle
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
I'll have it there this weekend.
Sweet!!!

Got the rest of the trans crap hooked back up. It looks like I can hit 4 bolts on the passenger side and 3 bolts on the driver. Started making a cardboard template, will finish tomorrow. I can't believe that Energy Suspension poly mount gave out like it did. I thought they were tough. At 3 times the price of a stock one, they should be indestructable. I guess it couldn't handle my heavy foot.

Anyone local sell those bushings I need? I'd like to get it done this weekend.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
humpy

What bushings?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

The bushings I need to mount the new brackets to the 1/4" skid plate that covers the bottom of the truck.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
humpy

Like the ruffstuff ones I posted a link too?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
race10

Rhodus fab should have some or be able to get you some. He's not far from you if your in Ross. I might even have a couple sitting in the garage I could get to you if he has to order them. I go through Ross twice a day everyday of the week.
race10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpy View Post
Like the ruffstuff ones I posted a link too?
I could use those, but it seems a little over kill for this application. If I was supporting a big heavy case or doubler I could see. But it's just keeping the stock alum. case from rotating. I was thinking something smaller like a poly shock bushing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by race10 View Post
Rhodus fab should have some or be able to get you some. He's not far from you if your in Ross. I might even have a couple sitting in the garage I could get to you if he has to order them. I go through Ross twice a day everyday of the week.
Never heard of that fab shop. Where they at? I may have you stop by. I'm 2 mins off 27 and 128.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
race10

He's on a side road off of layhigh rd. Hell of a good guy. Were you at off 128? I can throw a couple in the truck one day next week and swing by so you could see if they'd work for you.
race10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by race10 View Post
He's on a side road off of layhigh rd. Hell of a good guy. Were you at off 128? I can throw a couple in the truck one day next week and swing by so you could see if they'd work for you.
I'm actually off of Layhigh near the Venice cemetary. I'll let you know, thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

This is what I came up with to keep the t-case from twisting off the tail of my tranny again. Ended up using 2 1/2" x 3/4" bushings. This better do the trick. I'm out of extra transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0483.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	4590   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0487.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	4591  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
humpy

Really need to connect those bottom main plates somehow... It will add tons of strength... Otherwise looks cool
Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
jwend
Did I offend you?

Send a message via AIM to jwend
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpy View Post
Really need to connect those bottom main plates somehow... It will add tons of strength... Otherwise looks cool
Agreed.. you are still going to have a little twist.. wont be much but may be enough to brake somthing.. but it is a awesome design good work on it!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwend View Post
Agreed.. you are still going to have a little twist.. wont be much but may be enough to brake somthing.. but it is a awesome design good work on it!
With the 1/4" skid plate tying both sides of the frame and cross member together, I wouldn't think it could move much. The brackets are bolted through the skid plate as well. I don't think I could get it mounted if they are tied together. It's real tight.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
jwend
Did I offend you?

Send a message via AIM to jwend
Quote:
With the 1/4" skid plate tying both sides of the frame and cross member together, I wouldn't think it could move much. The brackets are bolted through the skid plate as well. I don't think I could get it mounted if they are tied together. It's real tight.
Gotcha, then just make sure what ever movement you have in your trans mount is the same amount as the transfer mount and engine mounts. I am sure you already knew that though..just want to make sure thought of it.. want you to keep it together so we can wheel together in 2012 when mines done..
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #22
carwash
pimpin' IS easy

Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
Quote:
then just make sure what ever movement you have in your trans mount is the same amount as the transfer mount and engine mounts.
This is still my main concern, as said earlier. You have to duplicate mount movement at all point, or chit will break. One awesome mount won't cut it.

carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwend View Post
Gotcha, then just make sure what ever movement you have in your trans mount is the same amount as the transfer mount and engine mounts. I am sure you already knew that though..just want to make sure thought of it.. want you to keep it together so we can wheel together in 2012 when mines done..
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash View Post
This is still my main concern, as said earlier. You have to duplicate mount movement at all point, or chit will break. One awesome mount won't cut it.
How does one figure that out? The poly engine mounts are stiff. The trans mount is more of a pivot point. The new t-case mounts are stiff. What else can I do besides beating on it and see what happens? A belhousing mount? A better frame to frame trans mount?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
Tool Man
- CORE Member -

Quote:
How does one figure that out? The poly engine mounts are stiff. The trans mount is more of a pivot point. The new t-case mounts are stiff. What else can I do besides beating on it and see what happens? A belhousing mount? A better frame to frame trans mount?
you can always test it out by beating the poo out of it at Big Rock where you broke before
Tool Man is offline   Reply With Quote