Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > Trail Runs and Events
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
donaldcon

Sxs ride at slade

Scroll to post number 5 for ride info

Yeah is it done I want to set up a side-by-side ride for down in slade, and I only have found a couple of people who are interested one of them is a member here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by donaldcon; 03-15-2017 at 01:29 PM.
donaldcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Id be interested. Thought you had to be street legal to wheel there.
93 Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #3
donaldcon

There is some Road riding needed but to my knowledge there has never been any issues with it. I am sure in a side-by-side you are not going to want to get onto National Forest property which would mean we couldn't run carburetor Hill but 95% of the good stuff is inside of the boundaries of what will become hollerwood Offroad Park.

I have not personally done it but I have had buddies down there in food buggies that stay in town at the hotels and drive their buggies into the trails without issue. Not saying it can't happen but never heard of any issues.

If any of you guys are on Facebook look up the group Southeast Ohio sxs Riders that's where I'm doing a lot of my discussion on it and I also have a post on off-road Ohio about it.

Otherwise once I get some details ironed out I will be sure to create a right thread here so that I do not clutter up this one

Last edited by donaldcon; 03-15-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
blazerbrad
- CORE Member -

I've been talking to a guy on another forum that rides almost every weekend down there. He has gotten stopped once in 7 years for a warning on one of the gravel roads.

There is a volunteer work day on 3/25 for the new Hollerwood Park.
blazerbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
donaldcon

Sxs ride at slade

I figured I would go ahead and start this thread to keep from cluttering up the RZR build thread.

If the mods want to feel free to move the current post that are in there about this over here.

I had posted previously on my group page about wanting to hit Slade and I figured I would extend the offer over here to you guys because I know there are a few of you with side by sides that actually ride.

Basically we have nothing set up yet and it's still in the discussion stages we just know that we want to go down there and ride.

As far as the dates were still pretty open on that I do know however that April is not going to happen for me and May and June would be tough but if we do one of those months I could probably squeeze a ride in somewhere in the middle of either one.

Once we make it to July my schedule is still pretty open so if you are interested in this feel free to suggest a date that works best for you.

There is some Road riding I have not heard of any major issues with that however be advised that there is always a chance something could come up.

I know a few people in the area and may be able to find us parking in the middle of the riding area or we can look into cabins or Campground that are very close proximity to try to cut down on being on the road as much as possible.

I have already located some cabins that are leeco Road and the website advertises 'jeep and atv trails at the back door" and based on my knowledge of the area they are pretty close

Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Waffle
This message has been deleted by Waffle.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
93 Krawler
>>>PMC<<<
- CORE Member -
- Administrator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
You're intentionally going to drive a sxs on the public roads down there? That's bolder than bolder than bold.
Yeah, I heard that was a big no no there. Any unlicensed vehicle is going to have problems. It's not worth the risk to me.
93 Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Ky Mudhunter

Lots of people ride on the roads down there. They tend to stay to the south of the riding area. I don't think they have too much trouble, you just have to make sure you stay off of the public lands that the forest service patrols. I have run into the forest rangers multiple times in my truck on the public lands around Sand Lick Rd.
Ky Mudhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
donaldcon

As ky mudhunter said, stay off of the forest lands.
I've been riding slade since 2005 with no issues and we everything from Jeep Renegades to buggies like yours waffle

You park on the Zachariah side not the Slade side, and see nothing more than a single Lane Gravel Road here or there most of which will be within the boundaries of hollerwood what is a three-county Off Road Park project. Those roads are connectors between all of the properties within those counties

I think a lot of times a couple stories on the internet leads to allow more concern than is needed. I'm sure somewhere someone has been busted on a road down there and it leaked to the internet, but chances are the fact they were on a highway, drinking, at 60mph in their sxs was left out

Last edited by donaldcon; 03-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Waffle
Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
donaldcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
I haven't been there in 10 yrs, back when the USFS was closing trails and bulldozing obstacles and the disputes between public, private land use was a real issue. We used to run a Halloween weekend and filled up the motel in town and cops did check for tags, but that was then. If I still had my tagged and insured yota I would go.
My issue is being an outoftowner and the risks involved with law breaking 2 hrs from home. The unknowns of liability, public/private land use and seperation, what trail is ohv designated by USFS and what isn't, what is enforced and what isn't, public paved roads have clear rules but I hear they dont enforce it, there's just too many unknowns and guessing going on for my liking.
I hear lots of stuff like "others do it all the time". That's usually what I hear when I'm about to do something that I'll soon regret, lol.
There is a big project in the area to open an off-road park now a days 3 counties involved. Which is where most riding is done, about the only thing still open on federal land is carb hill. The boundary is decently marked.

Roads you habe to travel are dirt/gravel, or a very short piece up a county paved road with no center line unless you drove from camp grounds. The official trail head is on leeco road which is opposite side of the area as the national forest.

Those 3 counties are not going to mess with you for running up the road between properties, but to my knowledge nothing on the law books allowing it yet so a state, or federal officer could push the issue I suppose

Un related to that there is still a state vs fed battle over who controls what on the sand lick rd side. The narrows as we call it was gated by the feds and it is still a legal township road. Rand Paul got involved with it last year but I've not heard any updates recently.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
donaldcon

if you are curious,

http://www.hollerwoodpark.com is the wedsite

Also the tri community fire dpeartment holds a few rides a year there, here is one
https://www.facebook.com/events/1885...0018166884847/
yes it is a sxs friendly event.

Last edited by donaldcon; 03-15-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:38 PM
Waffle
Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
donaldcon

its like anything else that envolves the government but atleast they are trying, cant say the same for any counties here in ohio.

I get it if you guys don't want to go. But if you are interested in sxs ride down, here is an invite.

Later this year I'll be going in the trail rig too, y'all are welcome to come then aswell.

Last edited by donaldcon; 03-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
94Dodge Truggy
EX-Vice President

Send a message via MSN to 94Dodge Truggy
Legislation was passed on Thursday allowing side by side traffic in a few counties. Last week we only spotted 2 jeeps and around 60 side by sides on all the common trails. Many on the road as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
donaldcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
Legislation was passed on Thursday allowing side by side traffic in a few counties. Last week we only spotted 2 jeeps and around 60 side by sides on all the common trails. Many on the road as well.
That's how it was my last trip. We were the only "jeeps" there. But there was a group of 30 and at Townsend cave.