Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > General Discussions
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

Squirrels and Pools

Leaving the house at 645a this morning for work. Carrying coffee mug, computer bag, purse, plus motorcycle helmet and jacket (selling); I notice a dark spot in my pool. I sigh, set everything down, go outside and contemplate the fact that this is the third squirrel to drown in said pool. One day, I came home as one was nearing the end of the squirrel-paddling stamina afforded to him, and rescued him with a pool skimmer. Told him he was welcome and to spread the word to the rest of the squirrel community that the big blue wet thing in back yard is bad…I’m gonna go with that didn’t translate.

I find it interesting that this is the 3rd one I’ve found on Friday. Which leaves me wondering if there is some big squirrel block party bash that happens on Thursday nights, I mean it is trash night. Think about it…all the neighborhood squirrels hanging out/in the pool, eating peanuts, drinking beer, guys trying to get lucky, listening to top 40 squirrel dance music and dancing their little tails off. Basically just a wild bunch of party animals (I said it). Maybe some just don’t know when enough is enough, have too much to drink and can’t figure a way out of the big blue wet thing. Maybe? Or maybe they just lose their little squirrel grip on the telephone line or fence and fall in. I personally like the party idea better.

Anyway, I’m now contemplating the purchase of squirrel size floatation devices to allow their head to remain above water til a rescue party shows or perhaps a ladder for them to be able to climb out. For those of you thinking if I just put a cover on it, it would be fine. Did I mention it’s oblong not round (like it should be), so a 10’ round don’t fit, and a 12’ round is on the ground. I really would rather not find one wadded up in the cover from thrashing around caught x days after it was in there…ick. It’s bad enough having the beady little eyes looking at me as a I say a little something as I dump them in a trash bag…

Anyway, if you have a 3 foot pool ladder sitting around not doing anything; I could take it off your hands. :p

It's Friday, and I'm having a severe lack of motivation at work right now. I know some of you won't make it through a post this size, and you know who you are...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
hotrod
Diesel guy

i guess squirrels have thirsty thursdays too, he bet his buddies he could jump from one side to the other his depth perception was a tad off (i can relate haha)
Old 08-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
KennyTJ
The Pirate

Note to self... Stay away from pools ofter partying! Especially the squirl killin' blue lagoon over at Lisa's!

Party On little buddies!
KennyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
KennyTJ
The Pirate

OK... you knew this was comming.....

YES!!!!!

teachem to ski!
KennyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

Yea i figured this would happen...ha
Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
RuffedUpXJ
On XJ 2 Now

Send a message via AIM to RuffedUpXJ
I got a remote control boat we can use and LOTS of peanuts

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now
RuffedUpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
94Dodge Truggy
EX-Vice President

Send a message via MSN to 94Dodge Truggy
"SQUIRREL"

Heavily chlorinate it and maybe they will keep out? Put a tarp over it?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
jfiscus
Terrain Stomper

Probably just a piece of rope hanging over the side secured to something on the ground would suffice for a squirrel emergency exit.
jfiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
BiggDaddy

2x4

Lean a 2x4 against the side and let them go out using that. But I think the blue tarp idea is pretty cool too. You can get them really cheap at Menard's at times!

BiggDaddy
BiggDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
GPER

I like the boats , that way they can water ski, and smoke cigars. Did you offer any of them mouth to mouth to revive them???
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

And another one...(which blows my Thursday party theory). Guess I'm done. Gonna try to figure out how to drain it now...Thanks for the input tho.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
GPER

I would duck tape a couple of towels to the side and let them dangle into the water. If they are too stupid that they can't crawl up the towel and out, they need to drown.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

I'm beginning to have trouble getting rid of the little buggers honestly...Bleeding heart...nuff said. It's draining as we type. Wondering how long it'll take
Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
itbrokeagain
Just Empty Every Pocket
- CORE Member -

Send a message via AIM to itbrokeagain
If necessary, I have a pump that will take care of that in about 5 minutes.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

Four hours and about 60% empty is all...Figure I'll finish it Wed and get it stored.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
GT MOTORSPORTS
Custom fabrication

Send a message via Yahoo to GT MOTORSPORTS
Lisa,
does your pool have a vinyl liner? If so draining it completly this early in the season may cause your liner to shrink. My dad owns a pool store on beechmont avenue(All-American Pools),I worked for him back in my younger years and recall changing liner all the time when people would drain the pools. Just thought Id give you a heads up. He can have a custom made safty liner made for you alos..Just saying ;)

Greg
Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

Its all vinyl no real liner. Intex Easy Set (pic attached, no not a pic of me/mine) Fill it with water and the air ring floats magically keeping water inside. I really feel it's by the grace of something that the silly thing doesn't leak all over but prolly the importance of level ground. It's funny because it's about half empty now (I had no energy yesterday to finish tear down) and with a tarp draped over it it has now become a bird bath. ha

Thanks though. For the record, I'd have paid someone to set up and tear down this silly thing. Maybe a side job for those with experience (cause if you didn't have experience I'd have gambled on me anyway).

PS Squirrel has had the last laugh because my trash can smells, well, like a dead squirrel. It's now sitting outside my garage competing with the water treatment plant...
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #18
KargoMaster
Cleaning off the rust...

thanks for the fun read... needed that.

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
Buildup BACK underway...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/KargoMaster/KargoSigPic-Summer.jpg
KargoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
GT MOTORSPORTS
Custom fabrication

Send a message via Yahoo to GT MOTORSPORTS
I had one of those for my daughter...till the dog decided she wanted to go swimming too...

Sounds like you need to become a park ranger..with all the "wild life" in your back yard...it sounds like a nature perserve..LOL
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
tjjeepjeep
Just tired

Oh yea me and nature we go waaay back....Example: Had a spider in the doorway to the garage that looked about the size of a small cat that about stopped me from taking the x90 this morning. Should have seen me slowly going around the little bugger in case he decided to jump (do not laugh I've seen jumping spiders and they're not fun)..then I find another one has built a residence around the garage door handle so i use my shoes (flip flops) to knock him/it down. I really don't do spiders in case you can't tell. Pretty much the more legs it has; the less I like it. I mean seriously how can a millipede even be real. I mean putting shoes on alone must take her 3 hrs a day. :) ick

Yea ok, I'm done. You can now return to your normally scheduled routine....