Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuel economy:::What are you doing to save???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel economy:::What are you doing to save???

Bought a Prius back in March and getting 47 to 53 MPG!

Better than the Harley! No where near as fun!

Car Pooling with wife to work...interesting conversations!!!!
    sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

I drive about 10000 miles a year and so at 20mpg I spend about $2500 per year on gas. So if I got a million miles to the gallon, I could save $2500. My car is 20 years old, fully depreciated and doesn't need a $5000 battery every now and then, and I'm just fine with that.

No disrespect to the Prius, its an interesting car and makes a positive statement.
    Unimog 406
    XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

I drive around 28,000 miles a year. I feel safe in the truck and am happy with an average of 17 mpg. when I have 900 ft. lb. of torque and 7000 lbs. of metal aound me. I would consider a small vehicle if I were off the highways and everyone else driving would have a similar sized vehicle. It is amazing how fuel prices and the american automobile industry influences the economy to such great lengths! There are many problems in the U.S.'s auto industry and hopefully drastic changes will be made to make them better.
      sigpic

Comment

I aired my tires up from 32psi to 45psi. I also try to stay out of the gas pedal as much as I can. I went from 17.5-19mpg to 19.5-20.5mpg. This is in my 97 4Runner V6, rated 17 city 19 highway. So I'm pleased to get higher than rated mileage out of my 11 year old truck with 185k miles!
        88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

i drive my willys instead of my suburban, shop in town now instead of running 25 miles to lima, and pretty much drive as little as possible now.

greg
          zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

The CJ mostly sits in the driveway, I gave the XJ back to the wife, and I drive the Camry she bought for me a few years back. The Camry did cut my gas usage in half of what the XJ was burning in the 140 mile a day run. It is the big Camry so I feel sort of safe in it.

Comment

I set my cruise on 65 mph versus 70+ mph that I used to, and a little lighter on the pedal during take off. I also take my wife's car to work usually several days a week (she is currently at home with the kids) as it gets closer to 30 mpg highway versus the 15 mpg my truck gets...I'm lucky that 90% of my commute is on the highway with light traffic. Her car is also a newer Malibu, so it's midsize and has a 200 HP V-6 so it gets around pretty decent.

The newer hybrids are great but I personally just can't justify spending $20,000 on them versus my truck that is paid for. It would take at least 7 years to break even at $4/gal. gas as compared to driving my truck every day, and 10-12 years assuming I keep driving the wife's car 2-3 days a week to work. And that's not including the extra cost for tags, insurance, etc... because I would still need to keep the truck because obviously a hybrid car can't take the place of a truck for a lot of things.

Comment

i siphon fuel from cars in the mall parking lot. working out well so far.

Comment

Sounds good Mike. Has anyone heard of putting Acetone in your tank to increase the mileage?
                  88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Purchased a Honda CRF230L. I drive 45 miles each day cut my fuel spending from $70 in the VW to $17.

I have decided to give it to my daughter she's 13. And I will be buying the 650L for myself. She can use it to put around the yard and the occasional Haspin trip. Once she's eligible for a license I have a trip planned to ride country roads with as many dirt roads in between down to Arkansas to visit my brother. I hope to repeat the same voyage with all my children.

Summer 2011 will be a great advanture.

Comment

Originally posted by RuffedUpXJ View Post
                      Sounds good Mike. Has anyone heard of putting Acetone in your tank to increase the mileage?
                      The more acetone you put in there the less gas you can put in there. Acetone is more expensive then gas though.

Comment

Don't forget Acetone is a solvent. It will dry out your seals and gaskets. It will find it's way into your oiling system if not properly mixed.

Comment

I just ordered a hydrogen generator for my 12 valve cummins. If it works well I will be getting more for the rest of the fleet. I am currently spending about $600.00 to $700.00 a week for fuel, so I am willing to try anything. I hope it works.
                          UGLY OFFROAD

Comment

Here's an interesting commentary on the acetone thing:

http://fuelsaving.info/acetone.htm
                            Unimog 406
                            XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Jon
                              let me know how that goes was wanting to look into that for my bronco
                              86 Ford Bronco

Comment

Working...
                              X