Better to buy modified or do yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scheibla View Post
    I would like to keep it around or below $5,000 in the beginning. I know nothing about working on cars/jeeps/trucks with the exception of changing my oil and changing a tire. However, I am a smart girl and wouldn't mind learning.

I think any major modifications would definitely be over my head at this point. I would be paying someone else to do them at first. Hopefully, I would pick up on things as time passes. I do agree that doing it myself would force me to understand everything and make repairs much easier/cheaper.

On a different note: Would a geared 4 cylinder be somewhat equivalent to a 6 cylinder in how powerful it feels? Someone told me this today and I am not sure whether to believe it or not.
    well here you go(not mine)

http://dayton.craigslist.org/car/757399500.html

not a bad price 4.0 motor and a stick. Leaf spring so it is easy to lift and swap out axles
    Last edited by kyrel69; 07-22-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilson1010 View Post
      You are absolutely right about making these parts yourself. If you can do that you have big savings. for example, the bumpers that you would pay 400-500 for can be make under 100. Same for cages. Many of your CORE guys fab up their own stuff and stuff for others that would cost an arm and leg to buy from parts shops.
      Assuming you already have, or have access to, the tools and equipment to fab parts and not to mention some fabrication skill. I'm definitely the type who prefers building their own stuff (within reason for my fab abilities) but I already have a welder and other tools that are needed.

I also prefer to build my own rig, partly because I don't have the money to pay somebody else plus I enjoy working on my truck. Again a lot of it depends on your mechanic's ability and tool selection. However I won't deny that you can get some pretty good deals on already built rigs. A few years ago a guy in our club decided to get out of the sport and sold his 3 year old, 40,000 mile built TJ for about the same price as a stock one. It had a lift, lockers and gears f&r, a new set of Swampers, rims, winch, etc...

Comment

I can't believe he wrote it get good gas milage in that ad. That is a rather attractive price. I whole hearted believe in a 4cyl for wheeling. But do to some proprietery parts they are vey diffcult (expensive) to modify the tranny and transfer case. Having a 4cyl also subjects you to the wants everyone will tell you on the trail to get a v8 or at least a 6cyl. You don't have to believe them.

I also would not eliminate other vehicles besides a wrangler. Someone recommeded a stick. Go with whichever your comfortable with stick or auto.

Good luck have fun.

Comment

Lots of good info for ya here. Like said earlier, you can get a built Jeep at a pretty good price. No matter how much you put into a Jeep you will not get it back out. If you want a YJ, most are built pretty similiar. If you can find one that is close to what you want you can remove parts you don't like, sell them and use the cash to help fund buying replacement parts you like. I will suggest one thing, take your time and figure out what you want in the end. I've had alot of customers that come in the first time and just want a small lift and some 33's. A year later they are back wanting more lift and bigger tires and new wheels, then a few months later they decided they want beadlocks. What happens is you end up spending money twice or three times on the same parts. Good luck with your journey.
          www.roarkfabrication.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Chow View Post
            I also would not eliminate other vehicles besides a wrangler. Someone recommeded a stick. Go with whichever your comfortable with stick or auto.

Good luck have fun.
            Well, I wasn't going to be the first to suggest it, but...

If you're really looking to go as cheap as you can, an XJ Cherokee can usually be had for about half the price of a comparable Wrangler.

And in many offroad situations, that little bit of extra wheelbase can really help.

Robert
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Yeah, I was in your situation 3 years ago or so and I decided to get a cheap Cherokee that had a lift. ITs worked out great for me now. I have my own welder and most metal fab tools when before I couldn't weld or use a cut off wheel. Do it and enjoy.
              88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Well, I wasn't going to be the first to suggest it, but...

If you're really looking to go as cheap as you can, an XJ Cherokee can usually be had for about half the price of a comparable Wrangler.

And in many offroad situations, that little bit of extra wheelbase can really help.

Robert
                Yeah, but part of the appeal is taking the top off of the jeep, throwing the dogs in the backseat, and heading to the lake. I would like this to be a dual fun vehicle to drive when I don't want to drive my Jetta/something I can play in while offroading. I guess I should also specify that at this point in time I will not be doing any rock climbing or anything too hardcore until I figure out what I am doing.

You guys have given me lots of great advice - thanks so much! I am doing more research, looking at a few jeeps, and slowly figuring out what I need/want. I think for now I am going to buy one that already has some of the major stuff done to it. I don't want to get in over my head and be intimidated at first.

Someone mentioned buying the same parts over and over once I realize I want bigger tires, more lift, etc, etc. I am fully expecting to be one of those people as I get more into it!

Comment

Yeah, but part of the appeal is taking the top off of the jeep, throwing the dogs in the backseat, and heading to the lake.
                  Yeah, I kinda figured... that's why I didn't suggest it earlier...

I think for now I am going to buy one that already has some of the major stuff done to it.
                  That's a great way to save some money, and let you build your mechanical skills, instead of just diving in headfirst.

Good plan!

Robert
                  DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

You should look in the for sale,,, jeep just posted today built. A little more that your price you were wanting to spend but has a lot of the good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X