Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at trying out the sport.

Hey guys,

I'm 16 and my first car is my Dad's old Grand Cherokee. I'd love to try out the sport some time, hopefully with you guys. Are there any mods I need to do before going out? Is there anything I need to know, etc? You probably have some kind of newbie explanation you guys use over and over but anything would help.

Thanks,

Eric

Make sure you have tow points for someone to pull you out when you get stuck. A reese hitch works well in the rear for this & it would be nice if you also had some for up front.

The more agressive tires you get for wheeling the better, street tires do not do well in the woods, at least try to get some ATs or something. MTs are best, but may not work well for a daily driver. Find out what type of lift you want to start with, a 3" lift wouldn't be too expensive & would allow larger tires and better performance offroad.

Get a recovery strap of your own also, walmart sells them for pretty cheap. Be prepared for something to possibly break, as it does happen to everyone.

Wheel somewhere legal, Haspin is close & cheap. Never wheel alone, check out this board & www.terrainstompers.com for people going wheeling, there's usually a group going every week or so somewhere.

A small toolkit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, lug wrench & jack are some basic items I would recommend bringing wheeling. I know there's a bunch more but those are the basics.

Comment

Well said jfiscus! Hope to see you out on the trails.
      sigpic

Comment

jfiscus nails it, but i will expand on one part...

Get a recovery strap of your own also, walmart sells them for pretty cheap.
        make sure it is a strap with loops sewn into the ends, and NOT a strap with metal hooks on the end. They are useless and may kill you.

Comment

Also, tell the group you're wheeling with that this is your first time out, don't be embarrassed about it. They will then know to take it a bit lighter/slower & spot you when necessary over obstacles. Also, no matter what anyone else tells you, if you don't feel comfortable about an obstacle (or know how deep a hole is), don't try it, there is always a bypass route you can take.

A CB radio is also something you should l look into purchasing asap.

As carwash said, make sure your straps have loops & no hooks, never use chains.

Comment

My club (Ohio 4x4 Trailriders) out of Columbus hosts a couple of novice rides each year specifically for this. We always start them out on easy trails and give them the option to progress to slightly more difficult ones as the day progresses. Unfortunately I do have to put in the disclaimer that if you are under 18 you need to accompanied by a legal guardian just for liability reasons (again, this if for the Ohio 4x4 club not CORE). I'm sure some of the members here can help you out.

The biggest things I always tell new guys:

1. Be willing to listen and take advice from experienced wheelers (I'm not talking about yahoos who try to get into trouble). They can tell you were you should, and should not, go on the trail. I've seen both types...some freak out on obstacles that are really easy, and some think their stock Jeep is invicible and can get themselves into trouble.

2. Go on some rides with the stock vehicle and make sure you actually want to get into the sport before spending any money on modifications. Tow hooks are the only thing I would highly recommend before doing anything though.

3. If body damage, or even scratches in the paint, will really bother you then you need to think twice about taking it off-road. Most of the trails here in Mideast are wooded and "pinstriping" is extremely common in most areas. Body damage is always a possibility when combining muddy trails, street tires, and tight trails in the woods.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I saw Haspin mentioned above and took a loo at teir site, looks like a pretty nice place. Would I have much trouble there with my Jeep stock? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by malibubts View Post
                Thanks a lot! I saw Haspin mentioned above and took a loo at teir site, looks like a pretty nice place. Would I have much trouble there with my Jeep stock? Thanks again.
                There's a fire road that goes all around the perimeter of the park that your GC could negotiate all of. You might have to be a little careful in a spot or two, but theres nothing that would stop you. Off the fire road are numerous side trails and obstacles from interesting to intense. Remember to have tow points (I say front and rear) and that will make it easier to get you unstuck if you make a wrong choice.
                Unimog 406
                XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Welcome to the wanderful world of wheeling.;)

Understand this might hurt alittle and you may have to fix a few things soon!
                  I have wheeled with alot of the TS guys and there great people and might be the best group to start with. ALL the CORE guys I have met have been nothing but great to me. You picked a great group to learn from. The only reason I say TS might be best for your first rides is alot of the TS guys drive there rigs to and from wheeling and know they have to drive them home.
                  16 and Beer don't mix so pick who you wheel with carefully. Go your first times just to get to know Haspin so it's not as easy to get lost. Go to the top of the Back bone and just watch awile. Just have fun checking the place out.
                  Wheeling will be alot more fun if you start slow and don't brake your rig first time out.

Comment

Originally posted by malibubts View Post
                    There's something for almost everyone at Haspin if you look hard enough. I'd recomend going to there during the week if possible, or on a Sunday afternoon,it'll be less crowded,and there won't be as many "Haspinites" to possibly ruin your trip.

Comment

Working...
                    X