The Physics of Jars and Butterflys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Physics of Jars and Butterflys

So I have a sealed jar with a butterfly inside.

1. Is the jar heavier with the butterfly sitting on the bottom or side?

OR

2. Is the jar heavier with the butterfly flying around inside the jar?

OR

3. Its always the same weight regardless if the butterfly is sitting or flying

Discuss... I was told I can ask for outside help on this homework project so do it well since I get a grade on this

Thanks!

AARON
    91 MJ Under construction

[QUOTE=MrShoeBoy;18080]So I have a sealed jar with a butterfly inside.

1. Is the jar heavier with the butterfly sitting on the bottom or side? this one

OR

2. Is the jar heavier with the butterfly flying around inside the jar? the weight is not measurable

OR

3. Its always the same weight regardless if the butterfly is sitting or flying. the mass is always the same but not the weight

i'm guessing but it makes sense to me
    if you can't fit it....FORCE IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Substitute jar full of water with a fish inside and it will be more apparent.

Of course, if you are just asking about the jar as opposed to the jar, butterfly and air, answer is teh same, reason is different.
      Last edited by wilson1010; 09-25-2008, 02:58 PM.
      Unimog 406
      XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Weight is the same flying or not. When the butterfly is flying the wind pressure exurted from the flapping wings will be the same as the weight displaced from the butterfly sitting on the bottom. Mythbusters on the discovery channel just covered this I believe with pigeons in a semi trailer. Now go finish your homework.
        sigpic

Comment

never thought about the pressure from the flapping wings. you guys are right... i guess wisdom does come with age!
          if you can't fit it....FORCE IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

But it's a moot point whether it's flying because the butterfly will be lying in the bottom of the jar dead by now because it suffocated.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
              Weight is the same flying or not. When the butterfly is flying the wind pressure exurted from the flapping wings will be the same as the weight displaced from the butterfly sitting on the bottom. Mythbusters on the discovery channel just covered this I believe with pigeons in a semi trailer. Now go finish your homework.
              Not to get off track but the Mythbusters, while one of my favorite shows, has some of the shoddiest (poorest) science and engineering I've ever seen and they regularly get it wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by KennyTJ View Post
                Not to get off track but the Mythbusters, while one of my favorite shows, has some of the shoddiest (poorest) science and engineering I've ever seen and they regularly get it wrong!
                Really? :(
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KennyTJ View Post
                  Really? :(
                  well... they are special effects guys... they only need to make things work for a couple of takes... I do enjoy that show...

<Sigh>, I miss Scottie...
                  brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                  Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Now go finish your homework.
                    Im working on it! Grad school is hard, I mean butterflys and jars! Who knew :p

Thanks for the replies guys! I was thinking it would be the same since the amount of air displaced inside the jar was the same regardless if it was flying or sitting dead on the bottom. Just had to double check with all you old wise guys on here

AARON
                    91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Working...
                    X