1 ton springs in my 3/4 ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 ton springs in my 3/4 ton

Ok, I want to stiffen up the rear of my 2005 2500HD Siverado 4WD SRW for towing a heavier trailer. I know i can do add-a-leafs, or a timbren kit. But thought why not try and see about swapping in the springs from a 1 ton of the same year or body style.

Anyone ever hear of this? How much more are the 1 ton springs rated for? Is this a good option, or does anyone have a better suggestion?

The guys on a ford truck site I used to frequent swore that the springs were identical between the F250 and 350. Had part numbers from the dealer to back it up, and that the only difference was a 4" block versus a 2" in the 250...

I guess this really means nothing to your 2500, except as a warning that you might not gain as much as you're hoping for...

Good luck...

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

i was wondering if the springs might be the same... wonder where i could find a definitive answer... dealer i guess.

Comment

Airbags...

Comment

Airbags are awesome. You can still keep the 3/4 ton ride quality. On dodges the 3/4 to 1 ton springs are a direct swap. I ordered my 3/4 ton with the 1 ton axle and spring package to cheat the city ordinance on parking one tons on the streets and insurance can get more expensive with a 1 ton.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, airbags seem like a possibility. Jeff, do you just air them up when you have a load on them, or do you keep them aired at a certain psi all the time?

BTW, did you get my PM with the buggy parts?

Comment

I'd also recommend airbags. They won't increase your towing capacity, but they improve your ride loaded and unloaded.

I know on the '06 Dodges the amount of leafs in the main pack and the amount of overload springs is the difference between a 2500 and 3500. The 2500 has one more leaf in the main pack than the 3500 and no overloads where as the 3500 has one less leaf in the main pack than the 2500 and two overloads. At least that's it is is with the springs that came on the truck and the springs that I bought through Dodge for a 3500 to put on my truck. The 3500's also have mounts welded on the frame from the factory for the overload springs to hit.

Comment

I just looked at the following trucks:

- '03 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas crewcab shortbed
                - '04 2500HD 4x2 8.1 gas crewcab longbed
                - '05 or '06 3500HD 4x4 dually D-max crewcab longbed

Both of the 2500HD's have a 5 leaf rear pack, with the 5th bottom leaf being a short and thick overload (last leaf before touching the axle). The '03 is mine that I bought new and has all of the heavy duty/towing/snowplow packages on it. Just looking they seem identical.

The 3500HD has a 6 leaf pack, again with the bottom leaf being a short and thick overload that looks identical to the ones on the 2500HDs. I don't have a tape measure handy but I didn't see anything obviously different except for the extra full length leaf in the pack. It also has another single upper overload that's seperated from the 6 leaf pack and has its own contact brackets (seperate from the main springer hangers) bolted on the frame where the ends make contact if compressed enough.

The 3500HD SINGLE rear wheel trucks seem rather rare in that year range. I've never seen one in person and didn't even know for sure if they existed but found several listed on eBay, but there was probably a 10:1 ratio between duallys and single wheel versions.

So yes, there are substantially different springs available between 2500HD and 3500HD trucks at least in the '03 to '06 range (same basic body styles).

If you need it I can try to get actual measurements of the 3500HD dually springs. I think the guy is only part-time and works evening shift but I can keep an eye out for this truck.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                  Airbags are awesome. You can still keep the 3/4 ton ride quality. On dodges the 3/4 to 1 ton springs are a direct swap. I ordered my 3/4 ton with the 1 ton axle and spring package to cheat the city ordinance on parking one tons on the streets and insurance can get more expensive with a 1 ton.
                  Aren't the axles the same on 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges? Or is it just the Cummins trucks that are the same?My '94 3/4 ton and '99 1 ton had basiclly the same junk 60 in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Snuts View Post
                    Aren't the axles the same on 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges? Or is it just the Cummins trucks that are the same?My '94 3/4 ton and '99 1 ton had basiclly the same junk 60 in the front.
                    Fronts are all the same from 1994 to 2002. I have put 2 2001's and many 1994 to 1998's 60's through hell with minimal problems. Unit bearings at 100,000 miles and a short shaft at a tractor pull. Old truggy front only broke short shaft once! Rear axles are different though between the motor options and 3/4 and 1 tons.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                      Yeah, airbags seem like a possibility. Jeff, do you just air them up when you have a load on them, or do you keep them aired at a certain psi all the time?

BTW, did you get my PM with the buggy parts?

Yes , I got your PM on buggy parts and I'm working a couple people for bulk buys!

I always keep 30 lbs. in my airbags when they're not needed... I was told buy the AirRide sales guy to never run them empty....something about them chaffing when the bellows rub when under inflated.

I can tell you I will never put a set of heavy springs in the back of a truck again when trying to prepare for occasional loads. Airbags are tunable , and can also be taken out of the mix buy dropping pressure to a lower level.

Like I said, I can tailor my truck to the load it's pulling ... not just "loaded for bear" with giant spring packs.

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffK5; 10-22-2008, 05:31 PM. Reason: Kant spel

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                        Fronts are all the same from 1994 to 2002. I have put 2 2001's and many 1994 to 1998's 60's through hell with minimal problems. Unit bearings at 100,000 miles and a short shaft at a tractor pull. Old truggy front only broke short shaft once! Rear axles are different though between the motor options and 3/4 and 1 tons.
                        The junk I refered to was the unit bearing, i had a wheel almost fall off my 99 because the bearing seperated and blew the nut off the end of the shaft.

Comment

I have F-450 springs on the back of my 250. The rear of the truck does not move. I had interlocking retaining wall blocks stacked up to the top of the tool boxes and the rear of the truck was still up about 2 inches.

These springs also lifted the rear of my truck about 5 inches. My gas gauge is not accurate because of this. Its almost a 1/4 tank off.
                          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                            I have F-450 springs on the back of my 250. The rear of the truck does not move. I had interlocking retaining wall blocks stacked up to the top of the tool boxes and the rear of the truck was still up about 2 inches.

These springs also lifted the rear of my truck about 5 inches. My gas gauge is not accurate because of this. Its almost a 1/4 tank off.
                            Don't bend the rear axle!
                            sigpic

Comment

Same axle as a F-350. Now I believe the F-450 has a Dana125 . I think i want one of those.
                              91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X