Clear All

• Hvac

Who is the heat and air guru
    I have a rheem classic 90 about 4 years old
    started in the spring thought it was low on propane
    but is still doing it this fall
    will cycle and heat like it should then cycle off
    next time it will cycle blower will kick on
    cycle back off b/4 it should, kinda like it runs out o propane ?
    will cycle on off on off on off several times
    without lighting, will go in shutdown mode... I guess is what it would be called
    10- 15 minutes later will go thru the same ****
    sometimes it will light and run sometimes it wont

thermostat cause this?
    HELP..
    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

thermocouple
    Unimog 406
    XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Originally posted by wilson1010 View Post
      thermocouple

Bingo!

Had my NG furnace do the same thing ....

Comment

thremowho?
        these hard to replace ?
        where to buy?
        guess i need model # and name of furnace
        cost much?
        For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

616 5750 Mike sawyer.
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

same thing happened to ours this past spring to end the season. replaced the whole thing... not sure if the thermocouple is hard or expensive, we just needed a new furnace and didnt want to dump any money into the old one.

Comment

A thermocouple is nothing more than temp. probe that sends info to the "brain" in your furnace.

When it acts up it gives the units controller bogus information , the problem my furnace had was it thought the fire on the burner failed to light so it shut the gas off ...even though the fire was burning as it should.

Turns out the thermocouple had shorted internally and was not sensing any heat ... no signal from the TC to tell it "successful ignition" so it shuts down.

Cheap and easy!

Comment

your furnace should have a flashing light on the control board count the number of blink through the door do not take blower door off it will reset the board and you will have to wait for it to do it again on the door somewhere there should be a list of numbers that will give you the definition of what the blinks mean.. a 90% furnace does not have a thermo couple it has a flame sensor my guess is the furnace is getting to hot check your filters
                Casey built cj7, amc 360 fuel injected, 39.5 Irocs,14 bolt+60 detroits, 4 linked front and rear, 203/205 doubler etc...........

Comment

Mine actually started acting up and it was due to the pressure switch which tells the control board the exhaust fan for the fumes is working. I did read my basically CEL on the board and thats what came up and I jumped it for now so the control board believes the switch is sensing the exhaust fan is working but Monday I am getting the switch so I don't need to jump it every time I want to heat my house it.

Basically the way your furnace will work is the exhaust fan will turn on first and it hopefully works and then the pressure switch tells the board everything is good. Then the hot surface igniter kicks on and glows. Then the gas control valve kicks on and starts the gas flow which goes through your plenums. The gas is ignited and the flame sensor send a voltage to the control board saying there is a flame. Sometimes the FS goes bad and you need to replace it ($30). So mine would cycle and start and reach a flame but after about 5 seconds of igniting the gas it would kick of because the exhaust weren't be sensed as leaving the chamber. But there should be a little plastic lens so you can see your control board with the lower cover on. Once it messes up and doesn't continue to run watch to see if the LED blinks. If it does take the cover off and read the panel which should tell you what might be wrong.

Hopefully that helps a little.
                  88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Little trick. Take some fine grit sand paper to the flame sensing rod. These get all carboned up and dont sense the heat properly. On a 90% Rheem Im guessing its a spark ignition and if its like the waterheaters, the spark ignitor is also the flame sensor.

Comment

took the covers off
                      kinda dusty, 1 filter wasnt put in correctly
                      since i cleaned them last...what a dumb ass
                      anyway vacuumed the area
                      found what appears to be a round springy switch thing
                      about the size of a quarter
                      cleaned it real good wiped it off with finger
                      wiped something else down... inch or two long
                      about 1/4 inch round
                      anyway ducked the safety switch down
                      like anyone would and fired it up
                      went thru a cycle just fine
                      12 hours later
                      is still working fine
                      hopefully it is fixed
                      thanks guys

Comment

did anyone fess up that they were a hvac guy. I need a furnace installed.have the furnace just dont have duct work yet. let me know if anybody does this cheap lol thanks pete

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          did anyone fess up that they were a hvac guy. I need a furnace installed.have the furnace just dont have duct work yet. let me know if anybody does this cheap lol thanks pete
                          Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                          616 5750 Mike sawyer.
                          :)

Comment

yep, seems to still be still working
                            the way it should

Comment

furnace isn't fixed, it is just messin with my head
                              well at least it's not periodic, doesn't work at all now
                              took what appears to be the flame sensor out
                              sanded, put it back in.
                              has LED's... flashes 4 times then starts what i think is a new cycle
                              doesn't even get to the ignition stage at all
                              pressure switch maybe.
                              looks like the yellow pages on this
                              not sure what else to do here
                              Called the # above but hate 2 keep aggrivating to guy
                              is a far drive for him

Comment

Working...
                              X