Rusted Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusted Crap

Well I've had the 95 wrangler with broken springs. Rusted beaten and abused. It's recently become my daily driver. 4cyl auto top speed of about 50 and when you hit a hill it just dies. I've been having to jump the starter solenoid for about a month that hasn't bothered me because if I can get it to crank I can get it to start.

Well I was coming home last night from an arctic camping trip. If you camp when it's -3 out you need a four season tent. Boy, oh boy did I wish I had one. That's another story.

Half way home and I make an emergency stop for some dimwit who couldn't decide what lane she wanted. And thud my foot goes straight to the floor. Friken piece of crap god dang it. I had kids in the car. Pulled over and the driver's rear is just covered in oil. Figured I blew wheel cylinder nursed it home to fix this morning.

Rant on--
    God damn rusty piece of crap it was a hard line to the back right at the softline. How the hell can a jeep with an engine, tranny and transfer leak possibly have rust under it. The damn things a moving epa hazard.

I put the wrench on the retainer. A line wrench mind you. The correct line wrench and it just rounds off with the slightest pressure. UGH. After tossing the wrench I went a picked it back up from the floor. As I was I saw more rust fall to the ground.

Four and hours to replace a hard line from the proportion valve to the back. I've got rust in my hair, rust in my eyes and I can taste it in mouth. And I still have to go out side and bleed the damn thing. I didn't mention it but I'm working in a gravel driveway and it was snowing this morning.

I came this close --| |-- form going out and buying a new car instead of dealing with a rusted break line.

--Rant off

I'll be happy to go to work tomarrow to get a day off from this ****.

I don't even bother with "the right tools" any more. I just grab 2 vicegrips and get r done. Old rusted brake lines SUCK!!! Then half the dam time you brake a bleeder trying to get all the air out! I feel your pain brother.

Comment

No kidding. My wife pointed out I may have exaggerated on the time. Between pissing and moaning and going to the autoparts store I only spent about an hour working on it.

But as you mentioned, or predicted I should say, I sheared off the driver's rear bleeder. I'm going to drive with squishy brakes. The hell with it.

I should mention, she said if you really want to buy a new truck we can go tomarrow. I love that woman even though she pointed out she make more money than me, and I'll owe her. she won't take sex for payment there's no telling what she'll want from me. Probably a month of foor messages, yuck.

Comment

I always have room for rusted out Jeeps in my back yard!

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Chow View Post
          Well I've had the 95 wrangler with broken springs. Rusted beaten and abused...
          I can top that.

I've got a 2000 superduty that I'm still friggin paying on, did the same thing. Twice.

Two years ago, I came home and there was a big puddle under it, I crawl down to look, and the fuel tank was all wet. I wasn't about to drop a nearly full 38 gallon diesel tank (300#) by myself, so I took it to a shop.

They call back, it's not the tank, it's the brake line rusted out. On a seven year old, 90k mile truck. I was pissed, but let em do it cause it was already there.

Fast forward to this december. I lend it to a buddy, so he can drag home a christmas tree. He's got his kids in the truck and it goes again. Rusted through in about 26 months!

Ford geniuses ran the line through a little pocket between the framerail and the tank. Anything in the bed (mud and water) drains into the pocket and sits there. That brakeline is permanently encased in wet mud.

So now mine is 1/4" stainless tubing, and runs around the other side of the tank.

Point is, I don't mind doing repairs on my old, rusty, brutally abused jeep. It deserves a little TLC.

I resent doing stuff like this on a rig I'm still paying on.

I really, really resent doing it twice.

[End my own little rant]

Robert
          DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
          Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Working...
          X