Auto insurance, air bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto insurance, air bags

Anyone familiar with auto insurance. Before I call my agent to confirm if I can get coverage. I am looking at an 05 toyota tundra that had both airbags deployed. I heard they automatically total a vehicle when this happens, but I don't know. Seller claims he has a clean ohio title (not salvage). Hood and front clip were replaced but you can definityl see where the impact was. Due to the narrowness of the damage I'ld say he hit a post, like a backetball post.

Can a car be insured if both airbags were deployed, is it true it was supposed to be totalled?

Paul

Not true at all! They do need to be installed by someone certified I believe.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Chow View Post
      Anyone familiar with auto insurance. Before I call my agent to confirm if I can get coverage. I am looking at an 05 toyota tundra that had both airbags deployed. I heard they automatically total a vehicle when this happens, but I don't know. Seller claims he has a clean ohio title (not salvage). Hood and front clip were replaced but you can definityl see where the impact was. Due to the narrowness of the damage I'ld say he hit a post, like a backetball post.

Can a car be insured if both airbags were deployed, is it true it was supposed to be totalled?

Paul
      make sure what all has to be replaced because on hondas the control unit and sometimes seat belts need to be replaced also gets very costly very quick
      One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I am not aware of any reason why a car would be automatically considered totalled if both airbags were deployed. They are pretty pricey to replace so I'm sure that a lot of cars who had both bags deployed have enough other damage where they reach the repair cost vs. totalled cost figure.

If the truck has a clean title then there is no way for the insurance company to know this anyway.

Comment

Thanks, It just didn't sound right to me ether. If I buy it, I'm not planning on fixing the airbags, so I am going to make sure my insurance agent will still cover me and the vehicle.

Comment

I have put alot of airbags in over my 25 years of working in a dealership body shop. Some total because of the cost. Check the shoulder belts and make sure they arent fired.
            You can ussually buy used one cheap since insurance companys wont replace deployed one with used. If you do replace them you will propably have to have it scanned to have the airbag light turned off.
            Last edited by tinbeater; 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks, It just didn't sound right to me ether. If I buy it, I'm not planning on fixing the airbags, so I am going to make sure my insurance agent will still cover me and the vehicle.
              If you didn't say anything about the airbags I'm sure they would simply write a policy on it, though there might be an issue if you ever had an accident in which you were hurt. I'm no insurance expert but I could see a company disputing paying any medical coverage after an accident if the report came out that the airbags were non-existent????

Comment

I would never, not disclose that. I do too many stupid things to not carry adaquate insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                  If you didn't say anything about the airbags I'm sure they would simply write a policy on it, though there might be an issue if you ever had an accident in which you were hurt. I'm no insurance expert but I could see a company disputing paying any medical coverage after an accident if the report came out that the airbags were non-existent????

My sister had an issue with a car she had bought that was wrecked and repaired..........the guy had never replaced the blown bags......The court said it was an issue of liability to other passengers and the previous owner was ordered to either replace the bags or buy back the car...........

Comment

With 12 cars and trucks insured, I have never had an agent ask me about airbags or title issues. The most I ever had was that an agent wanted to look at my Volvo FE Flatbed to see if it was a tow truck or a cargo truck. How does this issue even come up?
                    Unimog 406
                    XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

I carry full insurance on all my vehicles. For the record my agent said he could not, (I question maybe would not) insure a vehicle that came oem equiped with airbags, if they have been deployed. I was given the option to get they replaced, of course and then he would insure it.

It's not always about what your agent asks but what you dislose. If I insure a 1995 beat to crap jeep wrangler, it may be covered to replacement cost $2000. But that won't cover 36" tires, D44 or 60 or heaven forbid a stak.

Houses are the same. If someone where to drive up and clear out may garage. I'ld be out $$$$ in tools and parts if I didn't disclose it to my agent.

Comment

I carry full insurance on all my vehicles. For the record my agent said he could not, (I question maybe would not) insure a vehicle that came oem equiped with airbags, if they have been deployed. I was given the option to get they replaced, of course and then he would insure it.

It's not always about what your agent asks but what you dislose. If I insure a 1995 beat to crap jeep wrangler, it may be covered to replacement cost $2000. But that won't cover 36" tires, D44 or 60 or heaven forbid a stak.

Houses are the same. If someone where to drive up and clear out may garage. I'ld be out $$$$ in tools and parts if I didn't disclose it to my agent.
                        I could see where the individual agent wouldnt want to insure a vehicle that was not fully repaired from the simple fact that your best friend riding in the car with you who would never think of sueing you when you wreck said vehicle will be hiring Wilson to see that he never has to work again because he broke a nail in the ACCIDENT. Sorry wilson fortunatly i dont know many legal reps and im ok with that. :)
                        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I think you need a new insurance company , If someone cleans out my garage I have no fear that everything ( prolly more ) would be replaced.

I do agree with the Jeep statement , thats why you have a custom rider placed on the vehicle , I had one for one of my camaro's for an additional $5000.00 and it only cost pennys a day. However if you could prove that you had some of the items on the Jeep I would bet they would pay for them . Say someone cuts your 36" Iroks in your drive ...... they're going to replace them .

My insurance company ( NLH in Middletown) is great , I even asked my agent if I should video the contents of the house for replacement and was told , only if I had the Hope Diamond on display would I have a replacement issue with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                            I could see where the individual agent wouldnt want to insure a vehicle that was not fully repaired from the simple fact that your best friend riding in the car with you who would never think of sueing you when you wreck said vehicle will be hiring Wilson to see that he never has to work again because he broke a nail in the ACCIDENT. Sorry wilson fortunatly i dont know many legal reps and im ok with that. :)
                            Hehehehe. If I handled plaintiffs' tort cases I'd have more money to squander on off road vehicles. :) No crimes, no divorces, no personal injury cases. What's left? Small business matters and tax issues.
                            Unimog 406
                            XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

and Patent law... now there's some fun stuff....

I'll gladly stand up for our friend Wilson:

</HiJack>
                              brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                              Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X