Locker Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GPER View Post
    You must have power steering, I need to finish mine.

What all do you need I have a friend with a P/S box I think.

Comment

Originally posted by maddhatter View Post
      What all do you need I have a friend with a P/S box I think.
      I think I have everything, I just need to get off of my butt and do it. A warm day might help also, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
        I am getting the drift that the selectable would be best for my purpose if I want to spend the $$$.

I am still going back and forth between Full Detroit and ARB. If I go with the ARB, I'll obviously need to set up OBA ASAP. I dont really want to spend $150 on a locker only pump.

This will be a good discussion for future reference for others. If I was going to have this be a trail only rig, it would be a spool as I have to re-gear anyway.

Currently I am just worried about the effects of driving with a locked rear in snow on the street. This jeep will be an exercise in compromises as the wife says it MUST remain streetable and I say that I MUST be able to take it to rural drilling jobsites.

I'm currently pondering doing the Full detroit or aussie in the rear and saving the coin for the front selectable when I step up to the D44.
        once again back on subject my arb has been in my rig for 4 years running proper pressure and i have had zero leaks and zero failures maybe i just wheel like a girl and dont stress my rig like other people anyway like belly buttons everyone has an opinion. weed through the advise and make a move
        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Here's some thoughts on other influencing factors...

For me, locker choice also depends on the tcase...

If it's a full time tcase (front driveshaft always spins) that needed to be streetable, selectable both ends... $$$$$$ ...or coming in a very distant second, "soft" locker/limited slip in the front and then evaluate the rear dif options.

If it's a part time tcase with lockouts... (front shaft only spins when 4wd and/or lockouts engaged) ...my choice would be a "No-Slip" (whatever your liking -- Full spool, beefy mini spool [thinking 14bolt with open carrier type], Detroit, welded, etc.) in the front and then selectable in the rear, or again, the distant second would be a step below No-Slip... like a Detroit TrueTrac or similar...

For perspective:
          For my trail rig, I have a full spool in the 14bolt in the rear, and a Detroit No-Slip in the 60 front.

My former NBS '99 GMC blew the gov-bomb in the 10 bolt, I replaced it with a TrueTrac and I was quite happy with it for DD and tow duty. (nice and steady pulling trailer in mud/snow or on a slimy boat ramp with ZERO chirping/clunking)

My current 1995 3500HD dually was re-geared with an open carrier... and I desperately wanted to put in another limited slip device while I was in there...(TrueTrac?? I think I looked it up, and they did make a 37 spline Dana80 version... ) ...but couldn't justify it with the CFO. :(
          brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
          Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
            That would be me..
            You're still the only original owner of a CJ that I know... and the bonus is that it gets wheeled and wrenched on regularly...

brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
              You're still the only original owner of a CJ that I know... and the bonus is that it gets wheeled and wrenched on regularly...

Doesn't look like there will be any wrenching on it until it warms up.

Comment

daily driver streetable + snow/ice conditions = selectable lockers, in my opinion.

moderate street use + parked in the winter = detroits front and rear

no street use (trail only) = spool rear, detroit front

and yes, i have a butthole too...

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                  daily driver streetable + snow/ice conditions = selectable lockers, in my opinion.

moderate street use + parked in the winter = detroits front and rear

no street use (trail only) = spool rear, detroit front

and yes, i have a butthole too...
                  its belly button unless yours is different
                  One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                    anyway like belly buttons everyone has an opinion.
                    I like using "elbows" ...that way everyone can have more than one.
                    brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
                      I like using "elbows" ...that way everyone can have more than one.
                      And jab you with them...

Robert
                      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I like to refer to them as assholes, cuz most people's stink.

Comment

That's about right.

:o

Heck, I'm just happy that we agree on Detroit/Spool.
                          brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X