Buggy title???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buggy title???

Anyone know how I can get a title made for my buggy? I don't want one so i can get plates and drive it on the streets, I'd just like to have something that proves its mine incase the need arises...

title it as whatever you want, mine's a 1943 CJ2a. Vin on the dash and all...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
      Anyone know how I can get a title made for my buggy? I don't want one so i can get plates and drive it on the streets, I'd just like to have something that proves its mine incase the need arises...

I know you have to get it inspected by the highway patrol under the following section, but I don't know where you go from there. I suppose you just take the inspection certificate to a title office. :confused:

§ 4505.111. Inspection of vehicle assembled by person other than manufacturer

(A) Every motor vehicle, other than a motor vehicle as provided in divisions (C), (D), and (E) of section 4505.11 of the Revised Code, that is assembled from component parts by a person other than the manufacturer, shall be inspected by the state highway patrol prior to issuance of title to the motor vehicle. The inspection shall include establishing proof of ownership and an inspection of the motor number and vehicle identification number of the motor vehicle, and any items of equipment the director of public safety considers advisable and requires to be inspected by rule. A fee of forty dollars in fiscal year 1998 and fifty dollars in fiscal year 1999 and thereafter shall be assessed by the state highway patrol for each inspection made pursuant to this section, and shall be deposited in the state highway safety fund established by section 4501.06 of the Revised Code.
      Unimog 406
      XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
        title it as whatever you want, mine's a 1943 CJ2a. Vin on the dash and all...
        Sooo.... I've seen your build thread and thats not a 1943 CJ2a dash... but I get what you're saying.

Originally posted by wilson1010 View Post
        I know you have to get it inspected by the highway patrol under the following section, but I don't know where you go from there. I suppose you just take the inspection certificate to a title office. :confused:

(A) Every motor vehicle, other than a motor vehicle as provided in divisions (C), (D), and (E) of section 4505.11 of the Revised Code, that is assembled from component parts by a person other than the manufacturer, shall be inspected by the state highway patrol prior to issuance of title to the motor vehicle. The inspection shall include establishing proof of ownership and an inspection of the motor number and vehicle identification number of the motor vehicle, and any items of equipment the director of public safety considers advisable and requires to be inspected by rule. A fee of forty dollars in fiscal year 1998 and fifty dollars in fiscal year 1999 and thereafter shall be assessed by the state highway patrol for each inspection made pursuant to this section, and shall be deposited in the state highway safety fund established by section 4501.06 of the Revised Code.
        Thanks, I'll look into this more!

Comment

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should have put up the rest of the section . . . .

. . .

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
          Unimog 406
          XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

I bet the State highway would love to take a look at your buggy. They seem to become extremely picky as each year passes.
            sigpic

Comment

I went through all that when I put the glass body on, it was no big deal. Take it to the HP, they can inspect it check all of your receipts and treat it like any other kit car.

Be careful on the year you choose in case we go back to that e check crap for those that might want to plate their ride.

Comment

This is what state highway asked me. Do you have a windshield, turn signals, brake lights, full width bumpers, no hydraulic steering, frame height legal? Insurance agent looked at it yet? Tickets were given to one fella for tires outside the wheel wells and for simulated beadlocks.
                Last edited by 94Dodge Truggy; 02-27-2009, 06:32 AM. Reason: unclear for some to understand
                sigpic

Comment

They really asked about beadlocks?

I was starting to think that was an urban legend. Everybody heard about them being "illegal," but no one had any actual, firsthand experience...

Robert
                  DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

it just has to be legal for inspection. friend of mine went to the HP... they told him what he didnt have and needed (kind enough to do it for free) and he threw in a catalytic converter (required if you have e check or not by FEDERAL law) used all turn signals and marker lamps from an on 12v motorcycle he had behind his shed, plexi wind screen, stock bumpers from the truck he used the frame for (truggy), took of his BL's for the inspection and ran stockers with mudflaps... those where the big ones. and make sure your horn works and is loud. i remember he forgot that and had to go back a third time. he said they where very professional and polite and did there best to help him out.... but he also said the guy before him had a mullet and 3 teeth and had pieced together an old ford truck that was way more streetable than his truggy and they gave him a ton of crap. after it was all done and they issued him a certificate of inspection tp get a title, and he got his hands on the title, he took all the dumb stuff back off, and but is BL's back on.

when i was in the military a top told me once... "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck" just make it look like your trying to get it right and be legal and not take short cuts, and you want know what your doing and be polite and as professional as they are being with you and its really no big deal.

i had a jeep inspected ages ago with no problems. (title records had been destroyed)
                    http://springfieldohiojeepers.freeforums.org/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      They really asked about beadlocks?

I was starting to think that was an urban legend. Everybody heard about them being "illegal," but no one had any actual, firsthand experience...

Robert
                      Never said they asked about them. But if they see a huge set of thick rings with 36 gold bolts that may start a chain reaction. It can be done but you need to follow the rules.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                        This is what state highway asked me. Do you have a windshield, turn signals, brake lights, no beadlocks, full width bumpers, no hydraulic steering, tires inside the wheel wells, frame height legal? Insurance agent looked at it yet?
                        I'm confused after your reply about the beadlocks....did somebody from the highway patrol actually ask any of these questions or is this just what you think they would ask.

The reason is that there are no mention of several of those items in the Ohio regulations. There is no mention of beadlocks, nor is there any specific tire coverage law in Ohio, and not sure about the hydraulic steering but I'm guessing it is not specifically addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                          I'm confused after your reply about the beadlocks....did somebody from the highway patrol actually ask any of these questions or is this just what you think they would ask.

The reason is that there are no mention of several of those items in the Ohio regulations. There is no mention of beadlocks, nor is there any specific tire coverage law in Ohio, and not sure about the hydraulic steering but I'm guessing it is not specifically addressed.
                          Do not be confused. I have seen the ticket from a friend who recieved it from the state highway patrol while driving on I-75 for wheels outside the fenders and beadlock rims. (which were simulated beadlocks)
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't want to do all that crap, its never going to be on a street.
                            I just want something that proves its mine. The Bad Lands buggys came with a VIN and they are nowhere near street legal.What about tractors, 4 wheelers,and dirt bikes, don't they have titles? Could i register it as a combine or some kind of farm equipment? lol

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                              Do not be confused. I have seen the ticket from a friend who recieved it from the state highway patrol while driving on I-75 for wheels outside the fenders and beadlock rims. (which were simulated beadlocks)
                              do not know how they gave him a ticker for tires outside the fenders when Ohio does not a law saying they have to be inside the fenders

Comment

Working...
                              X