Invisible Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible Fence

Does anyone have one? Does it work? Are you using it in conjunction with a physical fence? We have a dog that can best be described as, well as, an asshole. He’s about 30 lbs quick and a bit aggressive. He’s never bitten anyone but he hates, sorry HATES other dogs. He’s only a year old and we’re hoping he calms down. Personally I would put a bullet through his head, because I don’t trust him. But the wife said he hasn’t done anything wrong yet. YET!

When the kids open the door he makes a break for it, straight across the road to our neighbors. I live out in the country when he gets out I gingerly stand up grab the noose (Lasso) and jump on the quad to catch him. I told the wife after the third or twelfth time. I’m not chasing him and I told Bob our neighbor. If he grabs one of your animals shoot him.

So does anyone know if these things work? How big can they be. I was going to setup a perimeter around our entire house and a good chunk of property about 5 acres worth. When he does get out of the physical fence or rushes past one of the kids. He'd at least get the piss zapped out of him as he rushed for the fence. But actully the hope is if he has enough room to run. He won't need to run outside the yard.

After the little bit of reading I've done today. I understand there is some training involved. That will be the wife's job. I told her I was going to put up a cattle fence around the whole property if this doesn't work.

ihave the under ground style my bother has one of the remote wireless from tsc and both work great. i have a 200 pound dane he has a 60 pound lab that is satan's pet and a knot head.the collars will drop both dogs to the ground and they learn fast. only thing is his lab is so smart he knows when the remote collar batteries are going dead and will test it untill he knows its dead then run for it. keep a fresh collar battery on hand and your golden. his was alot cheaper then mine was so might think about hitting up tsc
    94 yj 4.0 HO
    header
    cold air
    stock drive line (for now )

Comment

Yep I got it too. Just take the time to train them right and it works great. They learn when they hear the beep the pain is right behind it.

Comment

The "Invisible Fence" system we had worked for our Lab-Retriever mix. Like one of the above posts mentioned, you do not get any warning that the battery is dead. You'll only find out when your dog doesn't slow down at the fence line. Then it's back on your quad with the lasso.

The training is a requirement also. I seem to remember putting up small white flags that maked the line and you were to walk the perimeter with the dog. Then you would start removing alternate flags on a regular basis while still regularly walking the dog. Ultimately the flags are gone, but the dog knows the limits.

I do know an individual that had a real stubborn dog that ultimately had two receivers/shockers placed on one neck collar so that contact would be made on the back of the neck as well as the front. This ultimately worked.

If the system works for your dog, there are neat things you can do with it. You could have an area within your outer perimeter that would also be off limits to the dog. A pool for example could be off limits, yet the dog could roam the rest of the yard to the outer fence line.

First things first though, see if it works for your dog.

Hope the information helps.

Our dog died a couple of years back. I just looked in the garage to see if the equipment was there, but we must have sold it in a garage sale. I'll look some more and if I find the stuff you can have it. Just don't hold your breath counting on me finding it.

Good luck.

John
        sigpic1950 CJ3A. Oddfire 225 V6, T-86 transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, 4 wheel disc brakes, locked front and rear. Manual saginaw steering. Warn winch, 9,000#.

Comment

My mom had one a few year ago and it worked great! The dogs learn how far they could go and even without the collars on they'd stay in the yard. The hard part was getting them to walk past the line when you take them for a walk without the collar lol! I've heard there is a belt type collar for real big or stuborn dogs that zaps the groin area , this one is supposed to stop any dog from crossing the line!

Comment

That would get my attention...

My inlaws must have two of the smallest dogs with an IF that don't give two squirts about it... one just runs right through.... chihuahua-yorkie mix, dumbest thing I've ever seen, and to make sure it worked, I tested it on my fingers... it was not messing around, but that dumb dog would get enough speed to be on the other side by the time it fell to the ground, get up and keep going.
            brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
            Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. My wife schedueled an appointment with a Invisible Fence they give you a free estimate and some base knowledge of the system. However, they don't sell a do-it-yourself-kit. If will be good to get the knowledge if the price is right I'll buy it from them if it outrages I'll do it my self. Hopefully he will be able to help me out with my landscape and perimeter. As I understand it you have to be carefull along metal. And being a small farm we've got a metal barn, metal fences.

I haven't been able to find any where that says how big of an area I can make.

Comment

I had to buy the stuborn dog collar. A little more voltage. The first collar he would lay right on the fence and not bother him at all. The second collar he would yelp good when he got hit. It also had the low batt. light. I think Lowes carries that sytem. I think they work great as long as you take the time to train your dog. If you put it in and just think he will figure it out. It will be a waist of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                  My mom had one a few year ago and it worked great! The dogs learn how far they could go and even without the collars on they'd stay in the yard. The hard part was getting them to walk past the line when you take them for a walk without the collar lol! I've heard there is a belt type collar for real big or stuborn dogs that zaps the groin area , this one is supposed to stop any dog from crossing the line!

Yep, I'm pretty sure I don't want to know just how you found out about such a thing!

Comment

well the collars that my brother and i both have are enuff to drop my 200 pound dane in the dirt and make him piss all over. i cant remember how much i paid for the under ground line and box but i know he only has like 400 in his from tsc and you can move that if you move its just a big remote. his yard is well over an acre too so its not a small area unit.
                    94 yj 4.0 HO
                    header
                    cold air

Comment

Bear Chow,

I looked some more and couldn't find our old system.

John
                      sigpic1950 CJ3A. Oddfire 225 V6, T-86 transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, 4 wheel disc brakes, locked front and rear. Manual saginaw steering. Warn winch, 9,000#.

Comment

Both my neighbor and uncle have the underground Invisible Fence. The neighbors have a border collie mix that's pretty smart and won't get anywhere near the boundary if he has the collar on regardless if it's working, if they forget to put the collar on (mainly a house dog) then he will wander a little but generally stays in the yard. My uncle has a 200 lb. bull mastiff mix, 150 lb. St. Bernard (still a pup), and some sort of punt-kick little dog. They did have to step up to a bigger collar/shocker for the mastiff but since they have had no problems. FYI, the mastiff is dumb and the little dog is feisty. He probably has a full acre if not a little more fenced in.

Like said above you do have to train the dogs but in all cases it was pretty easy to do.

Two friends have the remote style like the one mentioned above from TSC where you hang the sending unit someplace (garage, house, etc...). You can set the radius of it a certain amount but I'm not sure the limit. Both have had good luck and maybe a little less than an acre in the perimeter....just remember to take the collar off the dog before taking him on a road trip in the car. The biggest limitation to this system is the limit of your boundaries/yard since it's a radius.

Comment

yeah i forgot to mention that hahhaah, me and my brother got up opening morning to go duck hunting did not think athing about it loaded the dog in the box and down the road we go. his pipes are loud so did not hear anything untill we got to the first stop sign then could not figure out why the dog was going nutz . then my brother remembered of **** for got the collar i thought it was funny the lab did not
                          94 yj 4.0 HO
                          header
                          cold air

Comment

Working...
                          X