Heat under the Hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat under the Hood?

I know there has been a lot of arguing about cone filters and homemade inductions about how they just suck up hot air. But I was figuring since the intake and exhaust manifolds are right on top of each other the air is going to be super hot before combustion anyways right!?! Also everyone wants to know about headers, but isn't the stock exhaust manifolds almost like the aftermarket headers maybe just not as long but over all it has more of a header design than a lot of exhaust manafolds that or really badly designed. So My point is wouldn't taking off your stock manifold and sand blasting it and having it cerimic coated or rattle can coated and then wrapped be the best way to reduce heat in that area in turn making for more power and better running Jeep? Huh HUh what do you guys think?

Try it and see what happens and let me know. May work but might not be all that noticeable. Time spent and money for heat wrap may not justify the project. Mud gets into the wrap also and makes a mess. Give it a tune-up and keep a hot thermostat in it for good mileage. Some headers are tuned and others have a coating to keep the heat in along with other performance differences. Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

I found this link to a guy that did something to the effect of what I am talking about he spent a total of $70 bucks http://articles.jeepforum.com/Reduce...-_Exhaust_Wrap

Comment

Maybe if you had the header off anyway.

That's a pretty big job, for the hope of slightly cooler air intake.

You probably be better off spacing the hood up like I did, or cutting a couple vents in it. That'd let a lot of heat out, and keep everything cooler.

Your call... good luck!

Robert
        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Most guys in XJ's run hood vents , Lebaron vents are very popular also Grand Prix GTP's ( but the GTP's are hard to find and $$) . I would not suggest that you wrap your headers or manifold. There has been talk that wrapping them on an off road vehicle that sees mud and water will lead to rust problems. Find a set of Lebaron vents in the scrap yard and break out the die grinder .

Comment

Yea that is what it looks like I'll be doin thanks for the info guys

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
              Most guys in XJ's run hood vents , Lebaron vents are very popular also Grand Prix GTP's ( but the GTP's are hard to find and $$) . I would not suggest that you wrap your headers or manifold. There has been talk that wrapping them on an off road vehicle that sees mud and water will lead to rust problems. Find a set of Lebaron vents in the scrap yard and break out the die grinder .
              The mud will act as a ceramic coating and insulate the header even more... atleast for the few months before they rust out from the moisture

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                The mud will act as a ceramic coating and insulate the header even more... atleast for the few months before they rust out from the moisture
                Meh, I've never seen a 4.0 header live long enough to rust.

They always crack first, when the wussy motor mounts wallow out...

Robert
                DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

You guys can do what you want but,
                  for the record, my air intake is 2 inches or less away
                  from my header
                  can get pic's if you want them
                  been that way for years now
                  For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Working...
                  X