New to this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this...

So this whole "building jeeps" thing is kinda new to me, fourwheeling has pretty much been a life style since i was 12, but never having the chance to build one. Finally Augest of 2009 came and i drove, with my pops, 18 hours round trip to Alabama to pick up our play toy. its a 1982 CJ5. while we only paid 500 bucks for it, the trip down and back was well worth the long drive, crappy weather, arguments and laughs. The jeep has the stock motor that doesnt run and a header. it has 33's and a stock suspension... The floors are rusted threw in some spots, the rocker panals are rusty and the windshiled frame has a few holes in it... 500 bucks still well spent! After finally getting it in the garage, the hood,fenders,grille,windshield, and tub came off, with a case of Coores Light, After breaking a finger, breaking the air compressor and alittle money its finnaly starting to look like a project. We have alot of time ahead of us building and breaking and im sure cursing while we work on this "jeep thing that nobody understands" but hopefully after a long few months it will be the jeep we have been dreaming of. after working on it for as long as we have, well, what seems like a long time only has been a month, ive finally realized what this "jeep thing no one understands" means. although i have alot of hobbies, nothing is as fun as bulding the ultimate 4x4 play toy. so here are some plans we have for it, although its not everything its the majoity

4" inch lift w/ spring over.
    1" Body lift
    Running 35 inch Super Swampers on Black steel wheels.
    Axle swap to a Chevy 3/4 axles.
    Axle stretch 4 inchs forward and 4 inchs backwards.
    Chevy 350 V8 w/ TH350 or 400 tranny.
    Keeping the Dana 300 T-Case but installing a Twinstick Shifter.
    8 or 12 point roll cage
    2 plastic racing seats w/ 5pt harness.
    Pexi-Glass windshield
    Soft top w/ doors
    Heater, for thoughs cold Ohio mornings
    All LED lights except headlights.
    Painting it GM Hugger Orange with Metal Flake
    03 Wrangler Sahara Bumpers w/ Stinger front bar and a custom rear bumper
    A 9500lbs Winch up front and possible a smaller winch mounted in the back, cause hey why not?
    Custom Rocker Guards and Tube Fenders.
    Trimming the rear fenders.

Its going to take a long while to build, and alot of cash, but with having most of the tools and the know how i cant wait to get the ball rolling on "Project Orange Slice"

Thanks for reading, and if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post them, im looking at any at this point...

Sounds like a good plan.. How bout a few pics ?

Good Luck

Nick
    Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
    Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Sounds very cool. Pics are always appreciated/looked for/heck expected. We have a few build threads, be sure to post up progress as you make it.
      I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

One toy hauling the other.
        [URL=http://img171.imageshack.us/i/picture241.jpg/][/URL

Body is off. Ready for primer and Rhynoline

Bought the LED Tail lights, and Reverse lights. 100 bucks for all of them. brand new

Comment

I know what you're going through, I've been working on a '69 since earlier this year and it's been fun (I think) and a challenge. I'm not going as far as you are with all that you have planned just want to get mine driveable. Good Luck.

Comment

why not go ahead and put 1 tons under it now and link the suspension since odds are you will do it eventually. do it now and save time and money!
            95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

"2 plastic racing seats w/ 5pt harness."

All this work and ****ty uncomfortable, unsafe seats?

Comment

Glad to see you 2 made it to the Board. Was nice meeting the other week.

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

you guys have been to the benefit, correct? I think I recall seeing that truck around the Trenton area before at least...

Nice find for $500, and a good start to a nice project.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                    you guys have been to the benefit, correct? I think I recall seeing that truck around the Trenton area before at least...
                    I was thinking that as well...last years if I recall :confused:
                    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by tjjeepjeep View Post
                      I was thinking that as well...last years if I recall :confused:
                      x3

Nice find... hopefully gas wasn't north of $4 when you went to get it...

I'm a big fan of the Dana 300, but behind a TH400:confused: ...wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to keep a 400/NP205 combo connected rather than adapting to the 300??

TH350 = 27 spl output
                      TH400 = 32 spl output
                      Dana 300 is 26 spline input

Of course, this is assuming that I recall this info correctly...

Originally posted by boomhauer View Post
                      why not go ahead and put 1 tons under it now and link the suspension since odds are you will do it eventually. do it now and save time and money!
                      I do believe that I was the one telling Boomhauer that years ago... as he was "building" an AMC20.
                      I'm a believer in one-tons, but more influenced by an appropriate weight to power ratio than I used to be...

Also, you had the pic of the frame/engine labeled "ready for rhinoliner" or whatnot... here's just a suggestion... I would get the new engine mounts on before doing that... or at least get the old engine off to make access easier... Have fun!!

Last edited by KargoMaster; 09-10-2009, 04:54 PM.
                      brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                      Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

going to 1 tons in 1 step? unpossible... it is necessary to first build up stock jeep axles, then go with either 1/2 or 4/4 after that, and then move to the 1 tons. I thought this was a rule...

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post
                          Glad to see you 2 made it to the Board. Was nice meeting the other week.

Yes it was, me and pop was talking like, man that guy knows alot! lol. thanks for the help, and i believe we will be down this weekend or next to look at some axle's?

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                            "2 plastic racing seats w/ 5pt harness."

All this work and ****ty uncomfortable, unsafe seats?

We're going with plastic cause there cheap, and they are easy to clean. we have a set that we're ordering he vinyl covers for. inless you know of a easier way to fit 5 pt harness on a factory seat :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
                              x3

Nice find... hopefully gas wasn't north of $4 when you went to get it...

I'm a big fan of the Dana 300, but behind a TH400:confused: ...wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to keep a 400/NP205 combo connected rather than adapting to the 300??

TH350 = 27 spl output
                              TH400 = 32 spl output
                              Dana 300 is 26 spline input

Of course, this is assuming that I recall this info correctly...

I do believe that I was the one telling Boomhauer that years ago... as he was "building" an AMC20.
                              I'm a believer in one-tons, but more influenced by an appropriate weight to power ratio than I used to be...

Also, you had the pic of the frame/engine labeled "ready for rhinoliner" or whatnot... here's just a suggestion... I would get the new engine mounts on before doing that... or at least get the old engine off to make access easier... Have fun!!

The more i think about it, we're going with a TH350 tranny. the 400 is friggin long. and the tranny now looks in bad shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X