Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universal Base Dial Indicator--Rental???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Base Dial Indicator--Rental???

I am planning on installing a front locker in the H2 this weekend however my biggest hang up is not having a universal base dial indicator kit. I need one that uses a C-Clamp as the H2 front diff is Aluminum and the instructions call for a Clamp style base.

Does anyone know of where I can Rent one from? Seems to buy one of these kits is at minimum $100. If I am going to spend $100 on a tool, I might as well just pull the diff out of the truck and take it to someone and have them install the locker.
    The Hummer Club Inc.
    Director - Events Planning/Ambassador Program
    Eric@TheHummerClubInc.com
    www.thehummerclubinc.com

what kind of locker ? if it installs in existing carrier then dont worry just dont mix your shims up when you take it apart

if not are the bearing caps metal ? i do have a magnetic one if you can possibly stick it to them other wise my aluminum magnet is out for repair
    Last edited by Flxratd; 09-10-2009, 10:20 AM.
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Scotty,

I does not use shims. It has adjustment screws. It is the eaton elocker. and you might be onto an ideal that I had not thought of. I will call eaton to see if they use the same exact carrier for the elocker that is already in my truck.

I think the caps are metal. However the manual calls for measuring the lash via the pinon yoke.
      The Hummer Club Inc.
      www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

the eaton e-locker is a full carrier locker.

Comment

Yeah I just looked at the drawing again and realized there is no way that its the same carrier as my stock unit. For some reason I just had a brain fart to think that it would be the same carrier with different guts.

The bearing caps are metal but I do not think they have a flat surface that would be ideal for a magnetic base dial indicator.
          Last edited by HumminNBoatin; 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM.
          The Hummer Club Inc.
          www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

Originally posted by HumminNBoatin View Post
            Yeah I just looked at the drawing again and realized there is no way that its the same carrier as my stock unit. For some reason I just had a brain fart to think that it would be the same carrier with different guts...
            Even going with another factory carrier, you'd probably need to reshim.

Scott just meant that if the locker installed inside the existing carrier (lunchbox lockers like my lockrights) you wouldn't have to mess with it.

For what it's worth, gear-setup is one of the few things I just pay to have done...

Good luck with it!

Robert
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

well if you get it out i can set up the backlash for you. the ones that screw back and forth are even easier. toys,zuks,9"fords etc. just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                well if you get it out i can set up the backlash for you. the ones that screw back and forth are even easier. toys,zuks,9"fords etc. just let me know.

Call me 513-226-5823
                The Hummer Club Inc.
                www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

Can you bolt a steel plate to one of the access cover holes... then stick a mag base to the plate?

I've worked on a bunch of titanium and aluminium gear boxes and always did it this way...

I have a 16" reach mag. base that you can barrow ... need a plunge indicator also?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by HumminNBoatin View Post
                    Call me 513-226-5823
                    I will call you friday (tomorrow) got busy today and ran out of time.

Comment

Ive got the starret with the c-clamp base and ive got mag ones and a plate
                      of steel to put magnetic one on.

let me know what you need if you do not find any.

Shawn

(513)617-3942

Comment

Shawn sounds like you da man!! What part of town are you in? I will give you a call later today.

Scotty, I still could use an experienced hand for help with this as I really dont want to fock this up lol.
                        The Hummer Club Inc.
                        www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

I am in Norwood, a couple blocks from Cincinnati Gardens.

Shawn

Comment

Just got off the phone with Shawn. Great dude! Thanks I will be over there around 3 to pick up that indicator set! Thanks again man!!
                            The Hummer Club Inc.
                            www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

Shawn is ghey, watch your back.

Comment

Working...
                              X