Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happen to cops liking jeeps

Comment

I bet I have seen this guy... seems too coincidental that I saw a Trooper with a CJ pulled over Rte 31/Wolfpen back in June... I actually stopped and asked what the requirement was (after watching him get out the tape measure)... He gave me the same numbers as quoted above... then gave some additional "safety issues" for this particular vehicle like the cracked windshield and the gas tank exposed from the rear because of the lift... I listened intently... said thank you, and drove off.

I said nothing of my plans to have a utility winch front and rear exclusively for "suspension modification."

Originally posted by GPER View Post
      My theory is I have receiver hitches on the front and rear and an extension should work.
      Sorry to burst your bubble Tom, but I asked him specifically about that, and he was quite set on "bumper height, not extension" so I think you're thinking is good, but likely will not fly...
      Last edited by KargoMaster; 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM.
      brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
      Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

all i can say is good luck. the law is writin very clearly but there happens to be 2 state troopers dead set on making it difficult for people with a lifted vehicle. my stop was on pershing in hamilton right next to a drug deal and they were trying to steal my wheels while he got out his tape measure but he only writes tickets not solve any real crime. sorry that is all
        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Are they checking for sway a sway bar too?????

Comment

Nick, did you guys find a GVWR on your rig?

Mine is 4850#, which gives me 27" front and 29" rear. I'm right at that limit, and apparently you are, too. (As mentioned, it will go by the "frame" height if your bumpers have been modified, which saves me, since mine are actually higher than stock.)

I REALLY need to print out a hard copy of that reg (OAC 4501-43-04 D, the same one Tom posted) for the inevitable day I need it.

By the way, the other half of the argument is proving that the XJ is a "Multipurpose Vehicle" (which goes by the GVWR) vs a "Passenger Vehicle" (which gets a 22" flat limit.)

For that you need:
            OAC 4501-43-02 Definitions
            (B) Multipurpose vehicle: motor vehicle designed to carry ten or less,
            either on a truck frame, or with special features for offroad operation.

We've got plenty of those!

Robert
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

same here!

Happened last spring on 275 just north of rt 32. It was state highway. Mine was 2 inches over in the back on 36"s. Technically since mine is custom it fails everything. Only 2.5" tall. Doesn't extend to wheel track width. And the height should have been measured to the frame rails.
              Guess I'm screwed with the new 40's and D60!!!!!!!Oh I got a warning HA!

Comment

n/m
                I understand the Jeep thing.......that's why i drive a Toyota.

'91 Toyota truck(3.0 to 3.4 swapped)
                "F@#k vacuum lines my truck sucks enough!"

Comment

I know in our club I am only aware of two people getting pulled over and written up for bumper height, and it was at the same time. We were leaving a campground and going to the trails on a holiday weekend and a State Patrol pulled them over in a small town. He was literally parked along side the road waving lifted trucks over, and everybody and their brother drives a lifted truck in that area. The guy was a real jerk and wanted to have the vehicles towed but we finally talked him into letting us go get the trailers. He didn't even actually measure anything, just wrote up tickets.

Both guys protested the tickets and took them to court. Apparently the
                  State patrol guy didn't normally work in that area and had written up dozens of these types of tickets just over that one weekend. The local judge immediately dismissed the tickets as apparently he had pissed off the whole town and the local cops.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                    Nick, did you guys find a GVWR on your rig?

Robert
                    Nope, The decal on the driver's door was faded beyond reading. I'm thinking about calling the dealer to see if I can buy a new one. If I can get a new one ..I'm going to install it in the door jam. In case I'm pulled over with the doors off.

I'll be in the same area this weekend. Will lightin' strike twice??

Nick

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!!
                    Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                    Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post

Both guys protested the tickets and took them to court. Apparently the
                      State patrol guy didn't normally work in that area and had written up dozens of these types of tickets just over that one weekend. The local judge immediately dismissed the tickets as apparently he had pissed off the whole town and the local cops.
                      that right there is the best justice you can get !

Comment

Working...
                      X