Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Ton vs. 3/4 Ton. Does it cost any more ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Ton vs. 3/4 Ton. Does it cost any more ...

to own one inOhio?
    Taxes, registration,license, insurance ect.?
    What are the downsides to one ton?

Originally posted by 8UP View Post
    to own one inOhio?
    Taxes, registration,license, insurance ect.?
    What are the downsides to one ton?
    Insurance : Ask your company
    Registration/License : About 40 more per year
    Taxes : Nope

Downsides to 1 ton for a DD: AAA doesnt like to come and get you if something happens and you are a dually.
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Comment

can't park a 1 ton in the neighborhood streets in fairfield as the law currently states.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
        can't park a 1 ton in the neighborhood streets in fairfield as the law currently states.
        Even single wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
          Even single wheel?
          I doubt they would give you any problems unless your neighbors ***** or if it had a flatbed or something out of the ordinary. I do know a fella with a dually that they made move 2 years ago.
          sigpic

Comment

I shoulda stated SRW. I've heard of some towns with the 1 ton no parking law, forgot about that. I'm rural so it won't be a problem.
            I've been half-assed looking at used 3'4 tons and have run across a number of 1 tons at the same price or even cheaper. I've seen some darned good prices on Dually's but I'm wanting a SRW shortbed.

Comment

Originally posted by 8UP View Post
              I shoulda stated SRW. I've heard of some towns with the 1 ton no parking law, forgot about that. I'm rural so it won't be a problem.
              I've been half-assed looking at used 3'4 tons and have run across a number of 1 tons at the same price or even cheaper. I've seen some darned good prices on Dually's but I'm wanting a SRW shortbed.
              In Ohio you register it as Comercial or non-com. All non-com trucks are the same. I'd fight a ticket for parking a duelie on the street when with std. non-com plates. he State considers it all the same.

Comment

Annual Vehicle Renewal Registration Fees*
                Passenger $ 34.50

Light Non-Commercial
                (up to ¾ ton capacity) $49.50

Heavy Non-Commercial $84.50
                (over ¾ -1 ton capacity)

You may or may not register as commercial, but I have owned both and the 1 ton was more expensive, as shown above.
                1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                5.14 tcase
                36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by KennyTJ View Post
                  In Ohio you register it as Comercial or non-com. All non-com trucks are the same. I'd fight a ticket for parking a duelie on the street when with std. non-com plates. he State considers it all the same.
                  You would be wasting your time and money fighting a loosing battle. I know a fella who did. Then the city kept an eye on him closely afterwards. Lebanon maybe. Fairfield no.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know this isn't really answering your question, but from my knowledge if you are comparing SRW trucks there is a pretty minimal difference between what they consider a 3/4 ton versus a 1 ton in regards to the actual truck. Heavier springs is usually the only difference. Any difference in the drivetrain is typically more dependent on the engine than whether it is a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Comment

Not sure where you got those numbers, but last year when I registered my personal non-com (tow rig/camper) van I recall it being about $110 at the DMV???

Comment

I paid $64.87 this year to register a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 in OH.

I think it depends on what you'll usually be using it for. 3/4 ton vs 1 ton DRW vs 1 ton SRW. I'd go w/ the 1 ton SRW just for ease of driving on narrow country roads and ease of parking.

Comment

It varies from county to county?
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok. I just went and looked at my registration from this year. I have a '99 F-350 SD SRW Extended Cab Long bed 7.3L TD and for two years registration I paid a total of $107.25 in Clermont county.

Insurance at State Farm for me is 233.69 every 6 months.
                            Last edited by eighty3bronco; 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                              You would be wasting your time and money fighting a loosing battle. I know a fella who did. Then the city kept an eye on him closely afterwards. Lebanon maybe. Fairfield no.
                              Yep, in Lebanon half the trucks out here are dualies from a farm somewhere!

Comment

Working...
                              X