Getting an out of state Jeep tagged in Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an out of state Jeep tagged in Ohio

I really need to get my Jeep tagged here in Ohio. Its been in my moms name since I moved up here 2 years ago and my parents want rid of it. Been reading up on the Ohio BMV page and it says that all out of state vehicles need to go through an inspection. Is there an inspection place that knows our sport and understands that my 91 Jeep Cherokee doesnt look like a Cherokee anymore? With half the body cut off, different axles, bigger tires, completly custom suspension, cage, harnesses, race seats, etc... I am kinda worried. Any advice on the subject? Heres a pic:

Thanks,

AARON
    91 MJ Under construction

It is a simple inspection they just check the Vin against your title. You can have it done at a dealership or the DMV I always go to a dealership for the inspection slip just to avoid any issues. This is not an safty inspection like some states have.

I have taken Jeeps in pieces on a trailer to a dealer and had the them check the vin and give me the slip.
    Last edited by JET455; 01-03-2010, 11:52 PM.

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

What he said.....
      Take it to any dealership along with the title
      They will check the title vin. to the vin on the unit.
      They then fill out a out of state inspection form
      charge you a small fee. give you the form
      take form to DMV along with the title and your wallet
      and waalaa
      For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

easy task to do just go to the bmv have the vehicle with you i think it cost like $2 but only takes like 5 seconds to do.. plus you dnt have to wait in line again to get plates and everything you do it all at te same time
        UNITED STATES MARINE
        99 TJ, locked, long armed, creepy's
        sigpic

Comment

just take it to the bmv they never asked questions when i took my samurai there and it really wasnt that street legal.The lady only checked the vin and i think the horn.haha

Comment

What all do they check? I dont have any reverse lights and the horn only works after you smack it 3 times in a row and then its kinda weak Got a short somewhere since the horns are right in front of the wheels. Anyways can anybody recomend a decent dealership in the Cincy area? I work downtown but can drive it where ever.

Thanks!

AARON
            91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Originally posted by MrShoeBoy View Post
              What all do they check? I dont have any reverse lights and the horn only works after you smack it 3 times in a row and then its kinda weak Got a short somewhere since the horns are right in front of the wheels. Anyways can anybody recomend a decent dealership in the Cincy area? I work downtown but can drive it where ever.

Thanks!

AARON
              Title VIN vs. Dash VIN

That was it for me!
              1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
              FJ 40 axles (4.10)
              5.14 tcase
              36" TSL SX

Comment

i know paul (service mgr)at superior acura in fairfield does them. i think its a $2-3 charge but its a look at the title and the dash vin no other checks. i used to work there and he filled them out all the time for me.
                One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

The BMV handled mine and it was painless. Checked the VIN plates against the title and then he focused on the motor. (The inspector was a motor head and we talked cams and electronics.) By the time he finished his cigarette, we were done.

Good luck.

Comment

you should be fine even if they check the horn its just a quick honk.i believe the lady that so called "inspected" mine didnt care to be honest. She had me read of the vin she didn't even get near the car really.So like everyone else has said you should be fine as long as vin's match.

Comment

Don't be so scared and nervous and all will be fine.
                      sigpic

Comment

Is there an Ohio law that requires the horn to be functional or something?
                        Nwever had em check the horn, just open the door & check the vin, it was funny when the door about fell off on a truck once, but hey he didn't tell me he was gonna open the door, lol.

Comment

i always thought if the finger worked the horn was optional
                          One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

This death trap passed and it doesn't have turn signals, a horn, mirrors,front fender,mufflers,or a speedo! They just looked at the numbers on the Indy title then looked at the numbers on the frame and gave me an Ohio title! AND I didn't even have a motorcycle endorsment at the time

Comment

I have had both inspections over the years and they have never checked any safety items.

Comment

Working...
                              X