What to look for in a diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
    I just looked through the online specs and my printed specs for CAT equipment and can't find a single mention of a Cummins motor. They had CAT C3.3, C3.4, 3054C, 3056E, 3512, 3516, ACCERT C9, C11, C13, C15, C18, C27, C32, C175. I just cant find a single reference to a cummins motor in a CAT. The little excavators have Mitsubishis in them though. If you can point me to a model that does have a Cummins, please show me.http://www.cat.com/engines
    I'll keep this short not to get too far off topic but since the late 70's CAT has purchased thier engine long blocks (not all but for some of thier divisions) and had the heads and other components made from other sub contract vendors (just the same as every other manufacturer auto or other) Cummins has supplied "long blocks" to CAT from thier construction and mining engine divisions for a long time, of course contracts change all the time so you never know.

You don't see a Chevy Diesel truck with a huge flamming Isuzu emblems on it but guess where Duramax comes from.... and I'm not flaming them at all.

Never mind much like my wife this is a neverending story.... let's just move back too on topic for the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
      What is he wanting to do with the truck? If he wants to keep it fairly stock, the Ford is a great choice. Yes, the 6.0 has some issues with studs and head gaskets, but only if you try to get more power out of them. I have an 06 F250 and love it. It's comfortable to drive, very quiet going down the road and doesn't feel like a truck. Plus, I tow my YJ on an 18' deckover with no problem at all. If he's going to want to add more power and be one of those Dodge guys (you know who I'm talking about), then tell him to get a Dodge. They seem to be very mod friendly and Cummins is darn near bulletproof. The downside is that the fit and finish on the Dodge isn't all that great. You basically have a great engine in a so-so truck. I don't know much about the Duramax, but I've heard they can be pretty expensive to build up and I know they are pretty expensive to get into, especially if you get a GMC.
      Just a stock driver and the occasional tow rig. Just got back from looking and it was a nice truck. As far as the ride, it is a regular cab truck. I'm 6'2" and it wasn't as bad as I thought it may be. The odometer had stopped on 178,xxx miles, not sure how many more was on it. The tranny has been replaced and some of the front end components. Body is solid and has been kept clean inside and out, and under the hood. There negotiating, what's the value of a truck in these conditions?
      1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
      3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRAM View Post
        Just a stock driver and the occasional tow rig. Just got back from looking and it was a nice truck. As far as the ride, it is a regular cab truck. I'm 6'2" and it wasn't as bad as I thought it may be. The odometer had stopped on 178,xxx miles, not sure how many more was on it. The tranny has been replaced and some of the front end components. Body is solid and has been kept clean inside and out, and under the hood. There negotiating, what's the value of a truck in these conditions?
        3-4k maybe :confused:
        2013 RZR S

Comment

Quite honestly, the truck you're looking at is a cruiser and a tow rig. The most mods that I would do to it is straight pipe it, air filter kit, boost, pyro and trans temp gauges. It'll run forever at stock power levels.

The automatic in the first gens aren't that bad, as long as you leave it alone. It's been awhile since I've been around one, but if it's possible, turn the OD off when towing and pulling grades.

The values of 1st gen Cummins trucks are all over the place. It really depends where the truck is located. All diesels sell for more than KBB value in KY, IN and OH.

If the truck you're looking at is 2WD, and in good shape, anywhere from $3k to $5k. If it's a 4WD it could be sold for as much as $10k.

Comment

Working...
          X