So I'm looking for an off-road GPS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm looking for an off-road GPS...

First, I know exactly squat about modern GPS units. That said, what I don't need: I don't need a turn by turn voice command to help me find the grocery store, thank you very much.

What I'd like is to be able to map offroad trails. Ideally, I'd like to turn it on as I pull off the trailer, let it record my movements all day, then (and this may be the kicker) download the resulting squiggles to my laptop.

An external antenna would probably be a good idea, but I don't know if it'd be entirely necessary.

Does anybody make such a thing?

Can anybody recommend one?

Thanks!
    Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
    First, I know exactly squat about modern GPS units. That said, what I don't need: I don't need a turn by turn voice command to help me find the grocery store, thank you very much.

What I'd like is to be able to map offroad trails. Ideally, I'd like to turn it on as I pull off the trailer, let it record my movements all day, then (and this may be the kicker) download the resulting squiggles to my laptop.

An external antenna would probably be a good idea, but I don't know if it'd be entirely necessary.

Does anybody make such a thing?

Can anybody recommend one?

Thanks!
    Robert
    I have a Garmin nuvi 205 w/bluetooth(so you can use it as a speaker phone) which you are probably not looking for. But it will record your every move, I have created roads at Sand Lick and named them the way I choose. It's even got a truck with monster tires as your vehicle and a British chick to tell your directions. You can turn the sound off if you like. As far as downloading to your computer, that is something I haven't done yet. You can also put it in your pocket and track your favorite hunting spot in walk mode. And download pictures. I chose this one in hopes to download topigraphical maps but haven't done that yet either.

I suggest checking a few out and see what fits your needs. You may want to
    look at the handhelds sold in hunting stores.

Good luck with your search,
    1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
    3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

Garmin GPSmap 60csx. It tracks your trails and you can download the trace onto your computer and see it on a map. It is water-resistant and has several customizable screens.
      1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
      FJ 40 axles (4.10)
      5.14 tcase
      36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRAM View Post
        I have a Garmin nuvi 205 w/bluetooth...
        Sounds awesome, but probably way more features than I'd ever need or even use...

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
        Garmin GPSmap 60csx...
        Should be perfect, I'll look up prices later. I've got wrenching to do first: If I don't get the Heep running, I won't be able to plot anything but my garage.

Thanks guys!

Robert

Comment

Forgot to mention that amazon.com has the best price that I have seen. They sell mounts that glue to the dash, also.

I've got one that I've used for work. It is accurate to about 10 feet.
          1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
          5.14 tcase
          36" TSL SX

Comment

Can you export said squiggles?
            I can make large (and print)maps from the google earth pics stiched together, just need the squiggles. I was wanting to map some of the better trails at the local parks but never finished that project & noone could ever get me squiggles, lol.

I have a full (multi-gig) PSD of Haspin completely stitched with the main trails & property boundaries already marked. Have not had time/determination to do the other parks as I never received any help with the GPS portion. Once it was finished I was going to get a copy to the parks to help others find their ways around.

Comment

I use the Garmin 60 csx

you can buy mircosd's with complete topos and allt hat junk for it but its not needed for mapping purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-60C.../dp/B000CSOXTO
              www.offroadohio.com
              www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
              www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
              www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                Can you export said squiggles?
                I can make large (and print)maps from the google earth pics stiched together, just need the squiggles. I was wanting to map some of the better trails at the local parks but never finished that project & noone could ever get me squiggles, lol.

I have a full (multi-gig) PSD of Haspin completely stitched with the main trails & property boundaries already marked. Have not had time/determination to do the other parks as I never received any help with the GPS portion. Once it was finished I was going to get a copy to the parks to help others find their ways around.
                That's exactly my goal.

I got most of 491 mapped out last year, combining what you could see in google earth with what I saw driving the park. It was slow, tedious, and inaccurate, but it worked for a place that size.

Now I want to tackle BigRock. It's going to require bigger and better tools than I'm used to, but it can certainly be done.

And even if means wheeling all summer, I'm willing to make the sacrifice to get it done!

Robert

Comment

if you want to work on this project together let me know, I like this sort of thing & have the tools, just no GPS.

Comment

You should be able to find a nice Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue ones) on eBay used for less than or around $50. Its a hand held, but you can get a mount for dash or bike. It will do breadcrumb trail, etc. I mainly use it for hiking, orienteering and geocaching, but it should work great for that kind of mapping also.
                    '02 TJ 2.5l 5-speed, "Red"
                    '98 XJ 4.0l Auto, "Black Dog"

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                      if you want to work on this project together let me know, I like this sort of thing & have the tools, just no GPS.
                      That'd be great. I could use a cohort with a little tech-savvy.

I can invest in the GPS, and I get off on the tedious, time-consuming aspect of putting it all together, but the right tools would be a big help.

(I shouldn't admit it, but I did the 491 maps off google earth and windows paint...)

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                        That'd be great. I could use a cohort with a little tech-savvy.

I can invest in the GPS, and I get off on the tedious, time-consuming aspect of putting it all together, but the right tools would be a big help.

(I shouldn't admit it, but I did the 491 maps off google earth and windows paint...)

Robert
                        Photoshop works much better.

Comment

i have found the garmin 500+ series is the one to get if you got the cash.. they have a two way walkie talkie feature, finds other garmin units and put them on your map... weather alert and all full color... well worth the money!
                          Thanks,
                          67fastback

-------------
                          84 Honda cr60r - for sale
                          87 Honda 200sx - for sale
                          67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
                          04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
                          87 sami - "SPLAT"
                          87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
                          88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

I have a Garmin Legend HCX with color Screen topo all that good stuff. Its a waterproof handheld. Its great for the quad and hunting but not so hot for the Hummer.

I would recommend the Garmin Nuvi 500. I had my hands on one this weekend offroad and it was awesome. Its perfect for a Truck. It has detailed topo and does street nav as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13424&ra=true
                            The Hummer Club Inc.
                            Director - Events Planning/Ambassador Program
                            Eric@TheHummerClubInc.com
                            www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

but but but - do they export squiggles???

Comment

Working...
                              X