Source for Lexan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Lexan?

Does anyone have a good source for lexan? I am looking to make a new rear window / liftgate for my cj7 top.
    I'm hoping to find 1/4 inch thick.
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

American Metal Supply
    513-396-6600

Comment

How big a piece you need? I might be able to scrounge some scrap...

Robert
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

tri state plastics is a lot cheaper than ams, but be a longer drive if you just need a peice or 2 may not be worth it. its by where johnnys toys used to be in latonia ky.
        my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

60" x 48" would probably be on the large side but give me room to radius corners and rout(sp?) the edges. I'm aiming to make a back glass like this.
          Attached Files
          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
          5.14 tcase
          36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
            60" x 48" would probably be on the large side but give me room to radius corners and rout(sp?) the edges. I'm aiming to make a back glass like this.
            Oh, sorry. That's not a scrap, that's most of a sheet...

But I cut both my XJ doors from a piece not much bigger than that, I don't think my back window is much bigger than 18x42...

:confused:

Robert
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

You do not want to have original glass in it? Anything else scratches easily in time. Take a cardboard template to franks glass (next to fairfield bowling lanes) and get a quote on some automotive glass. They are reasonable sometimes.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Robert it is going to be pretty big. I havent put a tape on it yet, but it is a good size. I rounded up on the guestamated size so that I could have room to work with.

Truggy, The CJ7 top is supposed to have a frame. I am afraid that even tempered glass would crack. If I bought the Liftgate piece, I could use the glass that I already have. OMIX-Ada and JC whitney are pretty proud of that fiberglass reproduction piece as it is priced between $280 and $450 plus gaskets, seals, etc.

I have it in my head that I want to make this removeable so that it could stow between the roll bar and the hardtop. That way I could drive around like I do now. Drop the windows, stow the rear and take off.
                FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                5.14 tcase
                36" TSL SX

Comment

Curbell Plastics, Zach Boehm, 513-742-9898
                  Piedmont Plastics, 733-9200
                  We use them for plastics (whoever has a cheaper price ;) )

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                    Curbell Plastics, Zach Boehm, 513-742-9898
                    Piedmont Plastics, 733-9200
                    We use them for plastics (whoever has a cheaper price ;) )
                    I will 2nd piedmont plastic!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stickman
                      Just for example, at AMS I got a 48"x96" 3mm lexan for $85. Think it's too thin? That's the standard replacement for snoway snow plows.
                      I'm sure 3mm is strong enough, I'm wanting thicker for the rigidity.
                      FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                      5.14 tcase
                      36" TSL SX

Comment

Another vendor to check is Queen City Polymers in West Chester. 513-779-0990 They are right around the corner from Ikea.

I typically price match between American metals, Queen City, and Piedmont. So far this year Piedmont has been the cheapest and seem to be easier to work with when dealing with smaller orders like a sheet or 6. The more you order the cheaper it is per sheet, maybe see if some friends want to go in on the order.

Its also worth asking if they have anything in the scrap bin that might work but from the sound of it you need a big piece.

Be sure you are getting a polycarbonate sheet instead of an acrylic sheet. The poly will hold up better, its less brittle and has better impact resistance than acrylic. Also its more forgiving during fabrication IE: you wont blow corners off or crack it when drilling bolt holes.

AARON
                        91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Working...
                        X