Check This Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check This Out

Came out of work at 2:30 today and found this on my truck. Drove ten miles down I-75 and still hanging on. Drove through a carwash and 1 hour across Lexington and still had a few.

Damnedest thing I ever seen.
    Attached Files
    1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
    3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

I'd bet you have a nesting queen in that bed side or in that truck some where!

Watch your ass!

We had a guy at work who's car had a swarm on it like that .. eventually they got inside and he got stung like 35-40 times in less than 30 seconds.

Local "bee keeper club" came and removed the queen that was nesting in the space between the rear quarter panel and inner fender. They estimated he had been driving around with 25,000 bee's for a week or longer!

Comment

"driving around with 25,000 bee's for a week or longer!"

holy jesus... i can't even imagine that quantity of bees...

Comment

Crap-ola. I didn't see any about 7:30 this evening. Guess I'll check tomorrow and see what happens.
        1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

I saw a swarm like that many years ago at Armco in New Miami. An old guy that I was working with scooped them into a cardboard box and took them home. He kept bee's and said he could mail order a queen for them.

Comment

Bug bomb it!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post

x2...that is craziness
              I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                Bug bomb it!
                We need honey bee's so go easy on them.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post

They came out with a special "bee vac" and gently collected what looked like 10 trillion bees .. they weighed them and gave us a guesstimate of 25K.

The dude that did the collecting also climbed in the car with nothing more than a dust mask on as protective gear.. he was a little strange to say the least..

Comment

After thinking about, wish I could have located a local bee keeper to get'em. I didn't use a bomb, just a little interstate speed and some water.

They were on a guys truck today that was parked in the same spot I was yesterday, just not as many. Why is that?
                    1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

Sounds like their marking their territory.

May be a nest or something close by.

What you can do next time is drive to an open place (like a wilderness area), use a CO2 fire extinguisher on them, they should fall off (or very easily sweep them off with a pair of gloves as frozen and dead bees can still sting you) andthen drive off. The bees will be frozen for a little bit, then they'll thaw and resume their normal bee lives.

I agree with not killing them. Believe or not it's not as easy being a bee as it used to be.

Comment

The old guy I watched just used a piece of cardboard and gently slid it under them. He stayed calm and moved slow and they never bothered him.

Comment

My worry is it may be in between the fender and bed. I don't expect them to show back up but you never know.
                          1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

Honey bees in a swarm like that will avoid agressive stinging behavior as much as possible. Its a matter of survival at that point and they dont need to be attacking unless you REALLY piss em off. My dad is a bee keeper and before I moved here I used to help him collect swarms like this all the time. Call a local bee keeper and they will be more than happy to come out and collect a swarm, typically free of charge. As for the bees back on the other guys truck in the same spot, they are probably scouts that were sent out to find a place to live and they are returning to base.

AARON
                            91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Working...
                            X