Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the local wheeling good? (Thinking about moving to Cincy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the local wheeling good? (Thinking about moving to Cincy)

We're at a point in our life where we are considering a move. We currently live in Pittsburgh, but I was born and spent the first few years of my life in Owensville. My grandparents are in West Chester and my brother, sis-in-law, 2 nieces and nephew are across the river in Villa Hills, KY.

We have a 22mo daughter and one on the way in November. The brother and sis-in-law would love to see me move down there, as would my grandparents and I would love to be able to spend more time with my younger nieces and nephew. My Mom and step Dad are here in Pittsburgh, so we would be moving away from them, but I've been here for 26 years and I really dislike Pittsburgh. We have a great football team and hockey team (horribly lousy baseball team.. "The city of Champions, oh, and the Pirates" go Reds!), but that's about all.

I generally get to make it to Cincy for a weekend once every 2 months or so and I love the area and the people. As we've been looking to buy a home, I've found that you get a little more for your money down there. I would be out of work until I can find something, she can transfer. So it's either stay in Pittsburgh, move to Cincy/N KY or possibly Columbus.

That's all good and fine, but.. How's the wheeling down there? Around here for decent wheeling (a mix of trails and rock) I have 3 or 4 places within an hour drive. A few better spots within a 2 hour drive. How is it down there? I assume the wheeling is similar to up here? I pretty much hate mud and try to avoid it as I much prefer rocks, but in our area mud is inevitable, so I make due with what we have.

My rig is nothing special. It's a 99 TJ (Sport), 35 KM2's on AR Teflon Chambers, 8.8 in the rear, 1" BL and MML, OME 2.5" coils, 2" poly spacers, Super Short SYE, locally made driveshaft. I put the #5 rod through the block last year, so I rebuilt it as a 4.6 Stroker. The AX15 was on it's last legs (thanks for destroying my synchro's, owners manual!) so I swapped in a NV3550.

Depending on if we stay or if we move pretty much determines the rest of the build process. PA has extremely strict inspection laws. Tires can't be past the flares (actually, aftermarket flares are technically illegal in PA), no flat fenders, motor swaps are extremely difficult, we basically have an awesome dictatorship here.

But, regardless it may get a 5.2 swap out of a 99 Ram van soon and maybe an AW4 (old work van, frame is shot). I'm going to start on a built HP30 within the next few weeks, TEN Shafts, etc etc. Once time and money allows, a Clayton or Rock Krawler long arm, 37's and a 3 speed Stak or Atlas will be in the future. It's currently my DD so I'm a bit limited on what can and can't be done for the time being. There is a Duramax in my future to serve as DD and tow pig, either a 2500 or a 3500 SRW, crew cab, undecided if I want a short or long bed, looking at 03-04 and 06's.

I think that covers about everything. I'm Brandon, by the way. Hi :)

Pretty much anything goes here (ky). No inspection laws, etc. The wheeling is good, at least as good as it is there. We have 3 or 4 awesome places within 3-4 hours of here. It's not the best place in the world, but it beats a bunch of them.

Comment

How are the LEO's like? Around here, they'll turn the cherries + berries on at the drop of a hat. I was pulled over in 4 different township's in a one month period for not having doors. They didn't know why it was illegal, it just was. 2 of them "let me go with a warning", the other 2 I went to court over and won, as PA doesn't require doors. When the officer said that I was laking mirrors (I didn't have mirror movers at the time) I presented to the judge from the MVC where it only requires one-rear facing mirror that can see 100ft back, which my windshield mounted rear-view mirror satisfies.

The inspection laws are one of the reason my brother moved to KY years ago in the first place.

You guys have emissions? I pass emissions now (until I do the 5.2 swap, then I won't pass in PA), I'm just curious. My grandparents county I think just recently started doing emissions, still no vehicle inspection I think though?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_K View Post
        How are the LEO's like? Around here, they'll turn the cherries + berries on at the drop of a hat. I was pulled over in 4 different township's in a one month period for not having doors. They didn't know why it was illegal, it just was. 2 of them "let me go with a warning", the other 2 I went to court over and won, as PA doesn't require doors. When the officer said that I was laking mirrors (I didn't have mirror movers at the time) I presented to the judge from the MVC where it only requires one-rear facing mirror that can see 100ft back, which my windshield mounted rear-view mirror satisfies.

The inspection laws are one of the reason my brother moved to KY years ago in the first place.

You guys have emissions? I pass emissions now (until I do the 5.2 swap, then I won't pass in PA), I'm just curious. My grandparents county I think just recently started doing emissions, still no vehicle inspection I think though?
        I don't believe Ohio or Kentucky has emissions any more. I have a Cherokee with the front doors off and I have been stopped once but the cop said he just wanted to take a look it since he had a wrangler. SAme law in Ohio with one rear facing mirror.
        88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

no inspections no emissions here in ky.

Comment

Couple of Cleveland-area counties still e-check.

Southwest Ohio is pretty wheeler friendly, from a "required equipment" pov. No doors, no flares, one mirror.

There's some nice, mild wheeling within an hour of town (Haspin, BigRock, 491) and more serious stuff in south/central Kentucky, like 'wash said...

Robert
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

There's decent wheeling around for mildly built rigs. Nothing real special, but good for a day trip. If you want to drive four or five hours, you can get into some more extreme stuff. I used to have a Rubicon on 33s and had a challenge at a couple of the local places, but there wasn't anything I couldn't do. Now I'm in a YJ on 42s and everything around here is fairly easy. I think you'd have a lot of fun with your rig.

Comment

dont for get Harlin.... and dirty turtle offroad ( old bucks Run AVT park) off 71.
                Thanks,
                67fastback

-------------
                84 Honda cr60r - for sale
                87 Honda 200sx - for sale
                67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
                04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
                87 sami - "SPLAT"
                87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
                88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

Alot of stuff here in SE ohio that we have opened up as well.
                  www.offroadohio.com
                  www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                  www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                  www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Working...
                  X