Bears at Red River Gorge!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bears at Red River Gorge!!

Just thought I would post this up. I've never heard of black bears around that area. I would imagine they stay away from the noise of 4x4's but it's good to know that they are there.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs....103/306290053/

I guess I should introduce myself since I'm starting a thread. I've been lurking since last years benefit at BnB. I'm the guy who showed up late in the blue 4-runner. I met a few of you and ran into Brody who I graduated HS with. I haven't been out on the trails much at all in the last few years and haven't made it to a meeting yet but hope to soon. Lot's going on now but I used to hit Natural Bridge, Livingston, and Haspin whenever possible.
    Eric

Welcome welcome.
    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Fella had bacon grease covering him and glazed doughnuts in his pockets supposedly! I am sceered now.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
        Fella had bacon grease covering him and glazed doughnuts in his pockets supposedly! I am sceered now.
        Shoot I'd bite him too..
        Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Oh My!

Comment

Scott said he yelled and dropped his belt bag, hoping to distract the animal. The bear just sniffed the bag and continued approaching Scott, who grabbed a rotted branch and hit the bear. But the animal kept coming.
            Sounds like scott started it...
            www.offroadohio.com
            www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
            www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
            www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

I live here in Stanton, the fella apperently got pics
              of the bear approaching him. That tells me he was provoking the animal in some way. As of now, all hiking trails in the area are closed. That's great for our local economy.
              1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
              3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRAM View Post
                of the bear approaching him. That tells me he was provoking the animal in some way. As of now, all hiking trails in the area are closed. That's great for our local economy.
                Sounds like first thought was oh cool a bear not oh crap a bear.. Maybe the bear has been there awhile and nothing was on TV so he went for a walk and now everyone wants him to move
                I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by tjjeepjeep View Post
                  Sounds like first thought was oh cool a bear not oh crap a bear.. Maybe the bear has been there awhile and nothing was on TV so he went for a walk and now everyone wants him to move
                  my brothers, neices, parents, and possibly my family were planning on going down there on friday to go hiking. guess those plans are now scratched.
                  zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Not that any timing is good, but holiday weekend will be bad for everyone (those going and those there hoping for the biz)...sucky

Comment

I have a friend that owns Daniel Boone Trading Post, she is usually on top of the news in the area so I will let
                      everyone know the status updates. I'm sure
                      the bear wasn't planning to attack anyone if left alone, they just need their space like all of us. You can always direct people to the Narrows, Widowmaker
                      and Carb Hill, I'm sure that would be a great hike, plenty of trails in that direction.
                      1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRAM View Post
                        Great. Several of us are heading down there tomorrow for our annual trailride. How much of the area is closed, are the usual trails affected?

Comment

He added, "I'm thinking God put me there for a reason. It's not a trip that we had planned. It just happened."
                          It might have been easier if God had just told the bear to not attack the guy...

"He's a bad bear, and he needs to be taken out of circulation," Scott said.
                          Yes, how dare that bear defend it's territory. What an awful animal, we should definitely hunt it down and kill it, and eat it for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by 8UP View Post
                            Great. Several of us are heading down there tomorrow for our annual trailride. How much of the area is closed, are the usual trails affected?
                            Not sure of the trails right now. I would assume they are open but I will try
                            to find out this evening for you. The bear scare is a little more
                            east but you never know what our local dept of wildlife
                            will decide.
                            1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

All hiking trails are officially open as of 8am Friday, July 02.

WATCH FOR BEARS!!!!
                              1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

Working...
                              X