New guy... moving from Virginia Beach to Dayton, OH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy... moving from Virginia Beach to Dayton, OH

So what's up... new here... I suppose this is where an introduction would go so I'll assume I'm right

My name is Tony, I'm 22 and married(for a little over a year now) and moving from Virginia Beach to Dayton, OH with a job transfer... I'm glad to be getting out of the communistwealth... the beach is cool but I like mountains and lower cost of living better.... also I'll be much closer to some really good offroading... right now I gotta drive about 6 hours to get to Uwharrie National Forest, which isn't really crazy... I did everything there on 33s with open diffs. Crozet is kinda close but it's not open year round.

If you're on Jeep Forum or Pirate 4x4 you've probably seen my build up, but I got it bone stock 3 years ago, since then it went through a 3" lift and 33s with a bunch of bolt-ons, then I got a welder(after reading KirbyIV's build on PBB) and went to town... now it's on 1 tons and 40s.

I'll be moving to the West Carrollton area the weekend of September 18th-19th... for a short while I'm going to be daily driving my Jeep... I know there are no state inspections or anything in Ohio, but I do know there are some bumper height laws(which I am over)... does anyone really care about that and pull you guys over for stuff like that? I'm at just under 29" in the front and I think 28" in the back.

My wife Shaynea(pronounced Shay-nuh)

We've got an apartment set to move into, we're hoping to get a house some time after winter so I can have a place to work on my Jeep in. I've got to put my big tool box and press and some other stuff into storage until then:(

edit: I've got all the tools and knowledge and experience for regearing diffs(primarily experience with Dana and Chrysler differentials in particular) in case anyone may find that useful ;)

welcome 2 ohio but ur not any closer 2 the mountains of ky. or tenn.:mad:
    we have some pretty good wheelin in ohio....u should look up some ohio adventure posts and surf over 2 offroad ohio, i guess you'll prob have 2 go 2 haspin at least once but it wont b much better than 33"s w/open diffs
    sigpicI EAT BURRITOS ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

BUT U SHOULD UPGRADE INTO A TOYOTA!
      sigpicI EAT BURRITOS ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey man. Followed some of your build on P4x4. The club is great for contacts and some great wheeling trips.
        Some of our group has been hassled about bumper height. Mostly state troopers though.
        1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
        5.14 tcase
        36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills49 View Post
          welcome 2 ohio but ur not any closer 2 the mountains of ky. or tenn.:mad:
          we have some pretty good wheelin in ohio....u should look up some ohio adventure posts and surf over 2 offroad ohio, i guess you'll prob have 2 go 2 haspin at least once but it wont b much better than 33"s w/open diffs
          VA Beach is pretty much dead flat... I can at least see mountainy hilly area in the Centerville area;)

Originally posted by cheapthrills49 View Post
          BUT U SHOULD UPGRADE INTO A TOYOTA!
          Isn't that an oxymoron?

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
            Hey man. Followed some of your build on P4x4. The club is great for contacts and some great wheeling trips.
            Some of our group has been hassled about bumper height. Mostly state troopers though.
            What is the general repurcussions for that? Vehicle get impounded immediately? Get caught 3 times and then get impounded? That's basically how it works in VA if you keep getting busted for the same thing. They have the right to make you tow the vehicle home on your own dime if it can be considered "unsafe" which sucks

I only owe about $10k more to the bank... once it's paid off then I won't need full coverage or a registration and make it a trail-only rig By then I should have a house and tow rig hopefully too:p

I just gotta drive it for a month or two until I can find a decent beater truck.... not a Toyota

Comment

Welcome to Ohio.
              Thanks,
              Jeff

Comment

They don't seem to be too worried about bumper height unless the rig is pretty high. Your Jeep seems to sit fairly low...I see TJ's all of the time that at least look taller than yours on only 35-37" tires. Though the wide axles and comp cut do kinda' standout.

You are definitely more daring than I am considering you cut up a TJ that you still owe a decent amount of money on AND daily drive it.

Comment

Yeah, I have an 89 F150 I daily drive here... but I'm selling it to a friend before I move to Ohio because he is in need of a truck and I could use the extra money in the short term.

It's my wife's turn to get a vehicle next... I may get a beater POS to drive around for the time being, but I think she's going to be getting a Dodge Ram or something(also double as my tow rig in the future) and I'll then get her 03 Lancer which is a plain gas sipping base model.

I try not to daily drive my Jeep unless I need to... but I can if I must;)

Comment

glad to see you made it over here. what kind of beater truck you looking for?
                    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
                      glad to see you made it over here. what kind of beater truck you looking for?
                      Anything running, simple/reliable, and tires/brakes in fair shape. I won't really be able to do a ton of working on anything. Preferably under $1200 or so...

I'm not too incredibly worried about getting anything just yet... I'll have my wife's Lancer to drive until she gets a job herself.

Comment

Welcome to the neighborhood, your not to far from me. Kettering does have a traffic cop that has harassed a couple of guys. Where will you be driving it to for work????

Comment

Welcome to oh. It isnt to often folks get harrased about anything in ohio thats vehicle related.

I used to drive this thing everywhere
                          www.offroadohio.com
                          www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                          www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                          www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Welcome welcome...
                            I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Welcome from another Dayton area guy. I'm deployed right now, but get back in November. We'll have to get together sometime.

Comment

Working...
                              X