Busted transfer case---HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted transfer case---HELP!!!!

I just found out I have busted my transfer housing in my '95 Dodge Ram. Is there another direct bolt up that is beefier, does anyone have a stock replacement, or what is a decent price for a used one?

360 cui, auto

Trying to get before Slade this weekend, any help is very appreciated.
    1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
    3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

one from the cummins trucks should be a upgrade. I just do not know if it will bolt in or now.

Comment

I don't believe it will without some mods. I'll look into that for the future, Thanks.

Salvage yards around here are wanting $450. I found a fellow with tranny and transfer I may be able to deal with.
      1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

Can anyone tell me why my old input shaft is longer than the one I am planning to use? Will I have any issues?

The old one is the shiney one and tail of transmission. The dirtier and rusty one is the one I just picked up.
        Attached Files
        1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

well the shorter one will not have as much engagement on your output on your tranny.

It looks like there is a lot of difference in the lenght in those 2 you might not even engage it at all.

you could swap the inputs on the transfer cases to make sure it works right but that would be a lot of work

Comment

I'm assuming they are both the same Dodge 23 spline (if I recall correctly)...

I would MUCH rather tear into a t-case and put the right input gear in than have less than normal engagement... Looks like there will be very little overlap... that sux.
            brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
            Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Both trannys look the same at the tail, I haven't measured to be sure though. The original was manufactured in '94, the new one was in '96.

How bad is it to change the output?
              1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

241 case is a bit stronger but i have wheeled the hell out of the 231's in all types of applications with no problems. make sure the driveshafts are not bottoming out into the case. they could be had for under 200 on some sites
                sigpic

Comment

I got tranny and transfer for $ 300. I thought was pretty fair. Anyone know anything about a 270's transfer, supposedly from a 2500 or so. Heavier chain, stronger built.

The front shaft has a slip yoke and it had plenty of clearance. A Dodge mechanic friend said to watch for binding on the front output.
                  1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

i got one in a v-10 and one in a half ton... should have called me. sorry ,, mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, I should have known. I was rushing and trying to make the Slade trip this weekend. Not going to make it with my truck, hopefully may ride with somebody.

What is the one from the V-10? Is it said to be more stought than my stock 231D?
                      1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

it will be a bit stronger. chain is wider.
                        sigpic

Comment

Typically fractures in the case like you have are caused by one of the driveshafts binding or actually hitting the case on a rock or something. You can do a quick teardown of the case to inspect the internal parts, and if they look fine that is most likely the cause. An impact from a rock is pretty obvious. Once you get it back together I would get it really flexed out and check how much angle the driveshafts have left (if any). Keep in mind that the suspension, axles, and therefore driveshafts can move more (i.e. bind) when you are under power on a obstacle more than what you might see just parking the truck in a ditch.

Comment

New issue. The t case is in the shop, stopped today to check on it and now have another problem. Both are 231 D, the ratios are the same and the guy tells me the pressed gear in the front is a different pitch than the other so my front input shaft will not interchange. Says I need a different front housing or possibly a different shaft to make it work.

Anyone ever seen this issue before?

Also wondering if I can put lower gears in if I have to go that route.
                            1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB

Comment

I am no expert but it seems you are going through a lot of trouble & money for a 231 to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X