Just got the Fourwheeler magazine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got the Fourwheeler magazine...

Wow I cant wait for next month. Seems like a lot of very good competition this year.

Just curious but why no Dana 70s? Is it just a better move to go from tons to Rocks?
    Last edited by itbrokeagain; 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM.
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

A D70 is a 1 ton. I've seen many Jeeps with D70's but i've seen even more rigs with 14bolts. A D60 rear is really a 3/4 ton.

I guess not as much aftermarket for the D70 though. Limited locker and gear selection maybe? I've got a D80 under my dually and it's freakin' huge. I would say the rocks may have better clearance underneath.

Comment

Limited selection of aftermarket parts for the 70. 70 vs. 2.5 Rock is really no comparison. You can't build a 60 or 14b or 70 (no matter how much money you throw at it) to hold up to what a 2.5 can take. 10-15 years ago, anyone running a 60 got made fun of. "Who needs an axle that big, you're retarded."

Comment

I thought that Big Ed (truck alt) had one... ahh yes... 70HD

Heck, even 12voltguy's Bronco has a 14 bolt...

I think that the different flavors of Dana70's also have some folks staying away from the 70 for fear of getting the wrong one??

You want an axle... Dana 80... that's an AXLE. 10 lug 11,000 weight rated one is a 1.25 ton axle... I have a WHOLE new appreciation for Morris's Buggy from a few years ago... Dana 80 center and Rockwell outters... Would love to see that one again... He was at the Sunfire Offroad booth a few years ago for the benefit IIRC... anyone know if that one is still around??
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

I'm running a D70. It has performed great but lockers are too expensive. It's welded now and I'm happy,....so far.
          1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
          3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

A Dana70 and 14-bolt FF are pretty comparable in regards to strength. About the only advantage is that some D70 models offer the option of really low gears (5.38 is lowest in 14FF). Front D70's are pretty rare and the only strength increase is the larger ring and pinion. Most/all did come stock with 35-spline stubs but that is a pretty easy upgrade to a D60. So the axleshafts are the same between a D60 and D70 (or at least a D60 is easily upgraded to be equal) and I just don't hear too many people breaking R&P's on a D60.

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post

I think that the different flavors of Dana70's also have some folks staying away from the 70 for fear of getting the wrong one??

You want an axle... Dana 80... that's an AXLE. 10 lug 11,000 weight rated one is a 1.25 ton axle... I have a WHOLE new appreciation for Morris's Buggy from a few years ago... Dana 80 center and Rockwell outters... Would love to see that one again... He was at the Sunfire Offroad booth a few years ago for the benefit IIRC... anyone know if that one is still around??
              12 volt guy was wanting to trade me for my tj. what do ya think?
              sigpic

Comment

he had his new buggy down at gravelrama this year on sunday and all i can say is WOW. i know i will be accused of ridding his nuts but this thing now has 900hp and over 800tq and has been 120mph in the desert with 49"tires on it. it looks to have the same axle set up as the old buggy did. anyway its sharp.
                One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                  he had his new buggy down at gravelrama this year on sunday and all i can say is WOW. i know i will be accused of ridding his nuts but this thing now has 900hp and over 800tq and has been 120mph in the desert with 49"tires on it. it looks to have the same axle set up as the old buggy did. anyway its sharp.
                  Pics?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                    Pics?
                    cant find any yet. he doesnt have any on his site yet either but i will look and then get you to post them for me
                    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I look forward to racing against him at KOH... which is what i believe he built it for. did he get qualified yet anyone know?

Comment

cant find any yet. he doesnt have any on his site yet either but i will look and then get you to post them for me
                        I have 2 pics if someone can post them.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                          12 volt guy was wanting to trade me for my tj. what do ya think?
                          I would rather have your TJ than Darren's Bronco... but that's just me.

he had his new buggy down at gravelrama this year on sunday and all i can say is WOW. .... it looks to have the same axle set up as the old buggy did. anyway its sharp.
                          Not sure if this means that he's built a new buggy and stole the axles from the old one, or if this is still the TTC buggy just rebuilt?? Either way... I would love to see those Dana80 center/Rockwell outer axles that he had in that thing... some serious time and custom parts to get those right...

Speaking of FourWheeler and TTC... don't forget that Monday at 8:00pm on the Outdoor channel (and HD) will be the first glimpse of TTC 2010 footage....
                          brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Looks like go fast KOH buggy to me... Looks like Dana 80 center as well...

I still say that Roger's "Elmo" Power Wagon is the only vehicle that I've ever seen that makes 49" Iroks look like they belong...
                            Last edited by KargoMaster; 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM.
                            brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of FourWheeler and TTC... don't forget that Monday at 8:00pm on the Outdoor channel (and HD) will be the first glimpse of TTC 2010 footage....

I just looked and the only thing I see at 8pm is Dirt Trax TV. before that is ultimate adventure.

Comment

Working...
                              X