underground /wireless dog fences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underground /wireless dog fences

any first hand expeirience? i have a 140lb dog, well behaved but neveer been contained cause we are in the country.
    any thoughts he'd do ok with this new(for him) concept? he's 10 years old, fixed, and has brown eyes, if that info helps...
    will the standard collar have enough zing to work for him?

he started sucking chicken eggs and i guess thats the doggy equivelent of crack cocaine, so i need to do something, but hes been a great dog and hate to chain him.

finnaly, do the wireless radio types do the same thing but without all the digging?
    my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

My uncle has a 200 lb. Mastiff and 150+ lb. St. Bernard with an underground fence and it works fine. Don't know the brand right off hand but they offered different size shockers pending how big the dog and how stubborn. A friend has the wireless transmitter thing that you can set a radius on and it works fine on his Shepard. The advantages are the underground wire can be set up to specific boundaries where as the wireless simply allows a radius of a certain area.

Comment

The best underground fence systems are made with black iron pipe... don't waste your time with wire or pvc...

Comment

I have a fence system just the wire type buy would sell it to you cheap if you are interested probably ask $50 for what I have and you would need to buy some more wire so you could set up a system for probably under $100
        86 Ford Bronco

Comment

Did not work on my Bloodhound. He would stand there and you could see his legs twitching but he just stood there. Figured out if he ran fast enough he could get out. That was with the stubborn dog collar.
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Yeah those fences in general some times don't work on a dog. My neighbor's Jack Russel will stand close but to where it only beeps and he will run the battery down and then just walk out once the beepping stops.
            88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

hmmmm good to know. maybe ill test drive one first. i like the radio type cause i live on a rock farm and hate diggen.
              my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

I've heard stories like the ones above where the fences don't work, and I'm sure they are true, but every person I've talked to in person (friends, relatives, neighbors) that actually has a setup have never had issues with it. My neighbor and a friend have invisible fences and they don't even bother putting the collars on the dogs anymore.

It's just one of those things where the 99% of people using it with no problems don't talk about it, so all you hear is the 1% of dogs that are stubborn.

Comment

I have in Invisble Fence in my yard for my 25 lbs Sheltie. She would chase every dog or car that went down the road. It took her a good month for me to feel comfortable with leaving her outside, but its so nice now to just be able to open the door and let the dog out. I would hate having to work around a fence in my yard all the time or have to walk out side to chain up the dog.It might take a little longer to get the dog to understand the fence, but I think its a lot more convient than any other method.

To buy the invisible fence brand transmitter and collar is like $450. I have my parents old one that was installed in 1988 and I just moved the box to my house and buried a new wire. It still works great. I know somone that had the Inviisble Fence people come out and install it and train their dog and it cost $1400 for a 1/4 acre lot. I have seen some people selling them on Craigslist before.

Comment

Working...
                  X