105.9 Rebel Sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 105.9 Rebel Sold

For those that may not have heard...105.9 The Rebel was sold. This was one of our supporters for 4x4's For A Cause (benefit) and our primary advertising source.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/A...aden-its-reach

WNKU-FM's blend of blues, rock and folk music will soon reach from Dayton, Ohio to Huntington, W.Va., with the purchase of two FM stations Wednesday.

The Northern Kentucky University public radio station paid $6.75 million for Middletown's WPFB-FM (105.9) and WPFB-AM (910), and Portsmouth's WPAY-FM (104.1), from Paul F. Braden, whose family started the Middletown radio station in 1947.

WNKU-FM will start operating them Feb. 1.

The FM signals will triple WNKU-FM's reach to 3.1 million potential listeners in four states, in a strategy to make the Highland Heights station self-sufficient in four years, said Chuck Miller, general manager of WNKU-FM (89.7, wnku.org).

The university will issue 20-year tax-exempt bonds to fund the purchase and debt service, under the plan approved by the university's Board of Regents, Miller said.

"Not one dime of NKU money is going into this project," Miller said.

NKU President James C. Votruba said the commitment to the new WNKU-FM Radio Network "reflects the value we, as an institution, place in this community treasure."

Buying Middletown's country "Rebel" FM also resolves reception problems that have nagged WNKU-FM since its debut 25 years ago. The 34,000-watt Middletown station reaches most Cincinnati neighborhoods and downtown offices better than the 12,000-watt signal from the NKU campus.

"Year after year, the No. 1 complaint we hear is in regards to signal strength and reach," Miller said. "In our last pledge drive, a woman in Clifton who donated $1,000 told us, 'I just wish I could get you in my home.' "

At noon Wednesday, Braden told employees in Middletown and Portsmouth that WNKU-FM will take over the stations under a "management operating agreement" in two weeks. The Federal Communications Commission must approve the sale, which could take until April or May, Miller said.

WPFB-AM and WNKU-FM's low-power repeater (FM 94.5) in West Chester Township will be sold together to offset the purchase price, Miller said.

Currently about $300,000 of WNKU-FM's $1.1 million operating budget is provided by the university. The university subsidy ends in four years with this investment in a radio network, said Aaron Sharpe, assistant general manager for development and marketing.

WNKU-FM's expansion will be similar to the old WVXU-FM regional network operated by Xavier University from 1993 until Xavier sold its public radio stations in 2006 to Cincinnati Public Radio.

Both new FMs will simulcast WNKU-FM's adult album alternative ("AAA") format, a mix of alternative, folk-rock, classic rock and bluegrass. The play list ranges from Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Cake and Gomez to Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, U2, John Prine and much more.

Local sports broadcasts in Middletown will end after Jan. 31, Miller said.

Although the new FMs are on the commercial band, they will be operated as non-commercial stations under the WNKU-FM branding. Programming will be fed by satellite, Miller said.

"We believe that this business will sustain itself in about one year with the acquisition of new members, and new underwriting, and new corporate sponsors," Miller said.

Middletown's FM signal reaches more than 2.16 million people from Urbana and Piqua north of Dayton to Richmond, Ind., and throughout Northern Kentucky.

The 100,000-watt Portsmouth FM signal serves 442,000 people from Clermont County to Charleston and Huntington, W.Va.

WNKU-FM's 12,000-watt signal reaches most of the I-275 loop - but reception can be spotty in the areas of Hyde Park, Mount Adams and Colerain Township.

Expanding the university's public radio station runs counter to the trend here.

Miami University last year gave up operating WMUB-FM (88.5) in a budget cut after 58 years. Cincinnati Public Radio, which operates classical music WGUC-FM (90.9), now simulcasts WVXU-FM's programming in Oxford.

Miller said listeners for now will hear no change in WNKU-FM programming. But if fundraising meets goals, the station could add stringers or staff for news coverage in the Portsmouth and Middletown areas.

"Our commitment to public service is solid. We have all the intentions of serving the community the best we can," Miller said.
    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

That sucks. It was one of my favorite country stations. Maybe Howard Stern will come back. :p
    sigpic

Comment

I listem to XM (Octane) in my personal rides and 96.5 in the work rides so no loss for me.

As far as the Event Sponsorship goes, it does suck but maybe 96.5 or someone else will step up.
      One Country, One Flag, One Language...
      LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

One of the DJs is a friend as well...Many crappy things about it.
        I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

This really does suck... 104.1 is one of the best country stations out my way too...FML :mad:
          if you can't fit it....FORCE IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm workin midnights rite now and when it changed over at midnight last night I listend to the first two songs and had to change the station. The new songs they play I don't like at all!
            real trucks dont have spark plugs

Comment

WNKU plays pretty much anything. i listened to it when i went to NKU, but about 75% of the stuff they played i did not like.
              beat up rusted out k5

Comment

yea my buddy Shawn was one of the DJs on that station and they let him go... Nice guy too =(
                Last edited by Black00XJ; 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM.
                sigpic00fleXJ

Comment

Working...
                X