Question about XJ long-arms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about XJ long-arms...

I have a question for all ya runnin long arms. What are the highway characteristics like? How is the on-road, high-speed stability? not tryin to be rude, but please no speculation or theories. My XJ is a pavement princess and I do a LOT more high-speed highway runs than off-roading. I am considering long arms for my XJ but would like opinions from drivers of long-arm equiped rigs. Thanks for any help on this.
    sigpic00fleXJ

i just did a custom long arm on an 01 xj with 6.5 inch coils and 3/4 heims for joints...the owner drove it to cleveland 2 weekends ago at highway speeds...he said it did shockingly well...the long arm drives and rides a lot better cause you dont have the steep angles of the short control arms with just a bolt on lift...but thats prob speculation lol
    S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

how much lift and what size tires are you thinking of running. I have a 97 with a 6.5 rustys long arm and it drives fine on the road. I was my dd and I would drive it from Cincy to Red River at 75mph all the time with no problems.

Comment

LOL. I know the links are more parallel to the ground which transfers impact energy to the coil for a climbing action vs be transmitted to the "frame" instead. Im all for that, but I've heard a few things about long-arm equiped rigs being "unstable" or "scary" on the higway. From a tech stand point I dont get how this would be true. The geometry of the design looks as tho it should increase stability. Ive also heard long-arms rigs have more body roll and I corner pretty hard... often... I do like to pitch my XJ sideways any chance I get. Im also looking at control arm drop kit as this is a highway/DD rig but I really want the Iron Rock Off Road Iron-Y. Has anyone run one of these on road? I saw it in action and that lil booger is crazy!
        sigpic00fleXJ

Comment

Right now im sittin around 4.5 - 5" on 31's w/uncut fenders.
          sigpic00fleXJ

Comment

Try and stay away from Y links, they are the ones that climb goofy. Try and shoot for a 3-link especially over the drop brackets. Read my thread in the Tech section for some info. You can make kits for a lot cheaper then ones in a catalog book. If you are pitching the XJ your sway bar and rear leaves will control your sway.
            88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Crap... I may put it all back to stock and go back to building lowriders... Short arms ride too harsh, Y's unload, I cant afford a 3-link and while I have the skills and equipment to fab one, I dont have a shop with power to work out of. This thing has been my DD for about 7 years. Maybe I should have left it alone since I dont wheel often. Ive been reading SO much about all XJ front link setups over the past 2 months preparing for this mod that I may have burned myself out :confused:
              sigpic00fleXJ

Comment

I have 6.5" lift on my 89 MJ and RC long-arms. i wheel the crap out of my truck and i drive to and from all my wheeling , it was on short arms for couple years now a year on the long arm, and the long-arms are the stuff. they work much better on and off road. i drive 70 on hwy no problem and wheel with no problems. as far as the issues you read about I can only say i have never had any problems on or off road or climbing any rock ledges or hills with the long arms that i did with short arms." the long arms are better both on and off road by a measurable degree" as far as stability if you hear that's an issue its my guess they have a poorly implemented lift. you say you spend more time on the road so you will like the soft (factory) type ride.course your springs and shock will dictate the ride to a large degree. you have prolly read so much crap your brain is twisted.he he. you don't wheel extreme enough for any system to cause you any of the issue you read about.(most of that is blown way out of proportion anyway) now you have my 2cent
                just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

Ok, I took a lil breather for a sec. Thank you all, this has been very helpful. I think Im going to stick to my guns with the IROR Iron-Y, However I will fab some limiting straps for it. I know this sounds stupid but I am honestly upgrading the arms for better ride quality. She used to float down the highway like some Caddys Ive owned. I miss that.
                  sigpic00fleXJ

Comment

Working...
                  X