No announcement yet.

Before & After - My 1993 K1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally brought the rig back in the garage after evicting it last month for being a pain. Put on another pump, no mods at all, 100% factory, and it works killer. Better steering than I ever had before. It's about frigging time...

Comment

• Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
      Finally brought the rig back in the garage after evicting it last month for being a pain. Put on another pump, no mods at all, 100% factory, and it works killer. Better steering than I ever had before. It's about frigging time...
      Good to hear. I feel your pain.
      Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

• so what did you do to fix it?
        1976 CJ 5
        1984 CJ 7
        1993 K3500 GMC 6.5 TD

Comment

• Originally posted by tbshakie View Post
          so what did you do to fix it?

Removed all the mods and made it stock. I think the orbital I got from waffle made it steer easier, but it seems like it will take more turns to get lock to lock. I recall him saying that when it was on his. I do like the finger steer though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waffle
            I think this is correct: If your at more turns lock to lock now but it turns with less effort, then that orbital you have now is requiring less gpm from your pump and puts you under the gpm max that the pump will supply. Changing to a faster lock to lock valve can be too much for the pump and you'll begin to feel resistance in the steering. This is what happened to me. My old orbital (on your rig) steered with one finger, but it was 4 turns lock to lock. My new orbital is under 3 turns LTL but it's no longer 1 finger friendly. This is why I plan on going to a higher gpm and pressure CBR pump.
            My old orbital was 1.5 each way like yours. When you get yours right, I'll copy it.

Comment

Whoa! 1.5? Each way? No wonder you had issues. My current setup is 2.5 one way and just under 3 the other. With my old valve is was closer to 3.5 left and just over 4 right.
              Four full turns one way.... wow... Are you sure? That seems nuts. You must be thinking total turns. My van only turns 1 3/4 turns each way. I'll have to check the rig tonight to see.

I have the 125 (7.6) valve.
              orbital Rating
              in ml/rev
              (c.i./rev.) 6-Inch Ram 8-Inch Ram 10-Inch Ram
              100 (6.1) 2.7 3.6 4.5
              125 (7.6) 2.2 2.9 3.6
              160 (9.8) 1.7 2.3 2.8

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Orbita...043-1-KIT.aspx
              Last edited by 93 Krawler; 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Turns lock to lock in an unbalanced system (SE cylinder) is measured from left steering stop over to right steering stop and then back again, right steering stop to left steering stop. You'll have two different numbers. Sounds like your measuring from the wheel being centered over to either stop.
                That trail-gear info is regarding one particular diameter cylinder though. My 8" cylinder is small at 2-1/4". Yours is 8 x 2-1/2" and will have diff results just like a 8 x 3" will differ as well.
                Pretty sure the term lock to lock is from one side to the other.

Comment

Turns lock to lock in an unbalanced system (SE cylinder) is measured from left steering stop over to right steering stop and then back again, right steering stop to left steering stop. You'll have two different numbers...
                  That can't be right. I certainly know exactly squat about hydro steering, but you're saying LTL takes 3.5 turns left to right, and 4 turns right to left? So from straight ahead to left lock takes two turns (half of LTL), but getting back to straight ahead only takes 1.75?

That would put the steering wheel in a different position after every turn.

DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

• Ok, I checked my rig and from left to right was 4 turns, and from right to left was 5 turns. My old one was way less than that. I have a feeling I will be changing this out for my old one real soon. That's a whole lot of steering...

Robert, my steering wheel is never in the same position.

Comment

• Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                      Robert, my steering wheel is never in the same position.
                      That would drive me NUTS.

I'll shut the hell up now and let the grownups talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                        That would drive me NUTS.

I'll shut the hell up now and let the grownups talk.
                        big downside of a Single ended cylinder is the uneven steering.

mine should be about 3 LTL when done. My brothers truck is way to slow at like 4 one way and almost 5 and a half the other. scary at any sort of speed over a crawl when trying to make a quick turn.
                        beat up rusted out k5

Comment

• I have decided to lose some weight on my rig, like everything but my drive train. I just want something lighter and slimmer. So I'm going to start collecting parts for an S10 build. I plan on a 4 link front and rear, and a tube chassis. I want to do an extended cab, but not if my wheelbase will be more than 117". I need to get dog house measurements on standard and extended cabs. Anyone on here have one they can measure?

Comment

• I like this plan.

There's a guy on dayshift that dailys an extended cab. I could grab some quick numbers to get you started.

Comment

• Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                              I like this plan.

There's a guy on dayshift that dailys an extended cab. I could grab some quick numbers to get you started.

That would be great. Thx. The most important measurement is from the cab rear to the cab front. I can measure out the wheelbase from that.

Comment

• Cab front? The leading edge of the bottom of the door?

Like this?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 02-08-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X