Yota axles questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yota axles questions

Ok, I have maxed out my sami axles and I keep braking stuff...
    specs:
    5.38 gears
    lockers front and rear
    chromoly birfs
    calmini hd rear axles
    disco brakes in rear
    4.1 tcase gears
    on 9.50x16 ag tires.

now looking around it seems that the 85 yota axles 4.10 are the ones to find and get for a new swap out.

what is the most bang for my buck to upgrade on the yota axles to get something close to what i was running with the sami axles?
    5.29 gears?
    chromoly axles and birfs?
    weld rear and detroit locker front? pro/cons ?
    trail gear lockout coversion?
    6 shooters?

oh yeah still running tracker p/s with mod pump and cooler.

Any issues that some one can see that I will need to swap some thing out for the steering (full hydro but not in the budget yet...), braking,etc...
    Thanks,
    67fastback

-------------
    84 Honda cr60r - for sale
    87 Honda 200sx - for sale
    67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
    04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
    87 sami - "SPLAT"
    87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
    88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

wonder if you were thinking of selling the sami axles :confused:;)
    2013 RZR S

Comment

Im by no means a yota guru, but I had built toy axles in my rear engine moon buggy, and had a lockrite in front that caused me headaches, so I would steer clear and stick with the detroight idea..
      my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Yea lockrites are junk. I got a yukon grisly and it works great. And for axels, longfields are the the best. I run 39.5 tires and Ibeat the hell out of it and NEVER broke a axel or had any problems out of locker.
        Jeeps are cute. Barbe drives one.

Comment

Sorry to hear you guys have had bad luck with lockrites... I agree the suck in the front, but i have run them in the rear of every Landcruiser i have ever had... The longfeilds are about the only thing i would put up front for an axle upgade, the warranty is the best you will find...

If you want to find more info on the Yota stuff look on IH8Dmud.com ... Here is a link to the Yota mini truck section http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/...

sigpic
          chris hodges
          96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
          71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Longfields are the only axle to run. I run 38 sx's and never had any problems. I'm not easy on them either.
            Willys buggy 4.3, 350 trans, toy axles, linked suspension, air shocks

Comment

Originally posted by CJsOffRoad View Post
              Longfields are the only axle to run. I run 38 sx's and never had any problems. I'm not easy on them either.
              I read a while back that Bobby Long had a bad batch of axles in 07 or 08, and those are the only ones i have ever heard of anyone breaking... He's such a great customer service guy that he tried to contact anyone that had gotten a set of the axles out of this batch so he could warranty them before anyone had problems.

That sold them for me... Now i just have to save the $ to get some...

sigpic
              chris hodges
              96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress

Comment

I had a lock rite in the front of mine for years,had a hard time getting it ratchet. I did finally replace with air locker best choice I made.
                The front 4.10 gears with your t-case will do you good.The start of upgrades you can do is dirty thirtys from trail gear, and up grade as you can afford.
                If you leave front end unlocked stocks hold up pretty good,but once you lock they don't hold up as well.
                I run all upgraded front end parts and spool in rear.
                Hope this will help.
                FYI had lock rite for 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
                  I read a while back that Bobby Long had a bad batch of axles in 07 or 08, and those are the only ones i have ever heard of anyone breaking... He's such a great customer service guy that he tried to contact anyone that had gotten a set of the axles out of this batch so he could warranty them before anyone had problems.

That sold them for me... Now i just have to save the $ to get some...

Yeah he sold the bad batch to trail gear and theve been selling weaker knock offs ever since
                  my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                    Yeah he sold the bad batch to trail gear and theve been selling weaker knock offs ever since
                    lol....
                    sigpic
                    chris hodges

Comment

i have had both dirty 30s and longfields. longfields are the way to go.lockrites are ok i ran one in my front for 3 years. but detroit is the way to go if your running 36 or bigger tires.

Comment

I'm runnin 37's

Comment

what is the most bang for my buck to upgrade on the yota axles to get something close to what i was running with the sami axles?
                          5.29 gears?....I would.
                          chromoly axles and birfs? Longfields.
                          weld rear and detroit locker front? i wouldn't put a lockrite in it
                          6 shooters? Too much money.... c link
                          http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=stud

oh yeah still running tracker p/s with mod pump and cooler.

Any issues that some one can see that I will need to swap some thing out for the steering (full hydro but not in the budget yet...), braking,etc...

u would need to run histeer and maybe a toyota p/s pump
                          For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod View Post
                            wonder if you were thinking of selling the sami axles :confused:;)
                            I have a set that with a little work, would get under that sami quickly...
                            4.62 gears, locked front spool? welded rear, rear disco setup with anti wrap (tractor supply) bar.
                            need one chromoly and hub ( locker bolts sheared off) maybe brake pads or calipers on front not sure I took this apart when i need parts for splattt..
                            Thanks,
                            67fastback

-------------
                            87 sami - "SPLAT"
                            88 sami - "Squirt"

Comment

also are the stock yota's
                              27 spline or 30 spline, I did see the
                              longfields- 645.00 vs the dirty 30 - 579.00
                              they both seem to be made from same material not much a price difference..
                              so most say go with the longfields!!

are the creaper flanges a good upgrade? pros/cons?
                              http://www.trail-gear.com/hubs-and-drive-flanges

they seem like they would be..
                              Thanks,
                              67fastback

-------------
                              87 sami - "SPLAT"
                              88 sami - "Squirt"

Comment

Working...
                              X