PS F350 A/T Transmission Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS F350 A/T Transmission Troubles

My 4R100 in my 2000 F350 finally took a dump.. 165K miles, 130K+ with 35" tires and stock gears so I guess I had it coming!

Reverse works good, 1-2-D work good, then bad ,then good ...OD is gone. I checked the fluid and it looks OK to a little brown..

I'm looking for recomendations on having the trans rebuilt or exchanged for a reman. locally (150 miles).

Looking for a good strong trans for general use.. not a drag/bombed- out /comp trans costing $5K plus.

I guess I should consider a HD converter while it's out..

Any particular shops or parts people like ...places to stay away from??

I'll being doing the removal an install myself.

Thanks, Jeff

I heard days diesel in Germantown I think their on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by fordman00 View Post
      I heard days diesel in Germantown I think their on Facebook.
      They look to be D-Max centered but I'll give them a call..

I also ment to note in my first post that I have no codes or warning lights..

Comment

I'll go withe the standard BTS. Brians Truck Shop in lead hill Arkansas. Strong stuff and worked well in the trucks I've been in.

Edit: Travis Dykes And 2L motorsports (in NKY) have been powerstroke guys for over a decade.
        Last edited by Hope Springs Hauler; 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM.
        1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
        5.14 tcase
        36" TSL SX

Comment

Andy Parker who is a big big Ford diesel guy said that if you are doing just daily driving and some towing and not pulling or making HUGE power that Ford has an upgraded tranny that works real well. It is much cheaper than the BTS and it comes with a warranty that is honored at all Ford dealerships.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerKoatings View Post
            Andy Parker who is a big big Ford diesel guy said that if you are doing just daily driving and some towing and not pulling or making HUGE power that Ford has an upgraded tranny that works real well. It is much cheaper than the BTS and it comes with a warranty that is honored at all Ford dealerships.

Trans sold through ford?

I talked to both BTS and Tom Wood ... $4900 and $4200 respectively...both are out of my budget.... and completely unnecessary for a mild chipped truck that does light towing and DD .

Comment

Yeah Andy told me Ford sells a better than stock tranny that is perfect for your average use truck. He told me if I wanna make big power go BTS but if I want to just have a nice tranny thats bettter than the stock one check out the one from Ford. So if you find out a price let me know cause that may be the way I go once mine bites it. I've go 143k on the Excursion and have pulled our 31ft camper, car trailers and our boat around with it and thankfully is still doing well.

Comment

Keep it cheap and local and strong, call John Carr. Yer not taking it to the damn tractor pulls, or towing a 40' toy hauler, not like you need in insane tranny build.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerKoatings View Post
                  Yeah Andy told me Ford sells a better than stock tranny that is perfect for your average use truck. He told me if I wanna make big power go BTS but if I want to just have a nice tranny thats bettter than the stock one check out the one from Ford. So if you find out a price let me know cause that may be the way I go once mine bites it. I've go 143k on the Excursion and have pulled our 31ft camper, car trailers and our boat around with it and thankfully is still doing well.
                  Ford gets from $1,600 to $2,400 for there re-mans depending on which year 99-04... 36K/unlimited mile warranty... converter not included...$1k core charge.

Comment

Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. Does the prices from the other places include a converter or just the tranny? If the reman Fords are moderately upgraded I would go that route w/ a good converter. Hey carwash who is John Carr and does he specialize in the Ford trannies?

Comment

John Carr is a guy in Trenton OH that builds trannies on the side. Guarantees you won't break one. He has built every tranny I've ever used.

Comment

Hey guys, my name is Jeremy. I have been keeping an eye on your board for a while, I thought I would post to see if you could help me with a similar pickle,

A good friend of mine owns a very stout 03 F350 with the 6.0. The truck has lots of aftermarket goodies, big turbo, intercooler, intake, full exhaust, chip, blow off, ect

I borrowed his truck today and noticed that the tranny will shutter once your up to speed, rolling along not putting much load on the motor. If you get into the pedal the shutter will stop and the truck pulls hard without any tranny slip. You can tell the shutter is in the tanny and not a stammer in the motor.

My first thought was that his converter is going bad, I do know its a stock unit. I understand how they work but wouldn't considerr myself real knowledgeable about trannys or converters. Any ideas?

Sorry to high jack, just seemed a good thread to ask in, yall seem to know quite a bit more than me about these trucks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jeremy Fair

Comment

Originally posted by FluxIndustries View Post
                          Hey guys, my name is Jeremy. I have been keeping an eye on your board for a while, I thought I would post to see if you could help me with a similar pickle,

A good friend of mine owns a very stout 03 F350 with the 6.0. The truck has lots of aftermarket goodies, big turbo, intercooler, intake, full exhaust, chip, blow off, ect

I borrowed his truck today and noticed that the tranny will shutter once your up to speed, rolling along not putting much load on the motor. If you get into the pedal the shutter will stop and the truck pulls hard without any tranny slip. You can tell the shutter is in the tanny and not a stammer in the motor.

My first thought was that his converter is going bad, I do know its a stock unit. I understand how they work but wouldn't considerr myself real knowledgeable about trannys or converters. Any ideas?

Sorry to high jack, just seemed a good thread to ask in, yall seem to know quite a bit more than me about these trucks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jeremy Fair
                          The malfunction you're describing sounds just like my truck. My converter let go and preceded to contaminate the trans and ... boom. When it started acting up I checked the fluid.. nice and red... I limped to my dads shop (20 miles) and it was black and cooked.

I also wanted bump this thread for any diesel guys who've upgraded there trans cooler/filter system... what did ya do?

Jeff

Comment

do the ford tranny with the updated valve body (the stronger trans).. and a 6liter trans cooler set up... it is the way to go for a mild mod truck. make sure you do the better converter. I went back and forth on this for months and thats the way i went and would again.. the bts and all that is too much $$$$ only other way i would go is John Car but the ford nation wide 36month unlimited mile warranty sold me. Check out powerstroke nation tons of input on there
                            Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

Just make sure you replace the converter no matter what you do... reused or "flushed" converters are pretty much the #1 reason for repeat failures.

And flush the ever living hell out of your trans cooler lines as well... some guys even go so far to replace the cooler itself when a trans fails... though I think that has more to do with what kind of cooler it is... the ones w/ the one "S" tube going back and forth with fins across should be pretty easy to flush out... the ones that have a ****load of passageways I would consider replacing.

Comment

Working...
                              X