"BUILDING" 60s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "BUILDING" 60s

I'm sick of baby sitting toyota axles every time I go out so I'm finally stepping up to man axles but I've never messed with them and don't really know where to start. I'd like to get a 60/14bolt set with 4;56s but the set on here is pretty far away and YJ60 hasn't called me back yet In the mean time I can get a stock set of 60s with 4;10s and drive flanges. They are from an 80s dodge 350. So what needs to be done to them to make them last with 39-42" tires and a V6-V8?

35 spline chromoly outers with at least spicer joints at a minimum with those tires or you will be snapping shafts like tooth picks. Some sort of gussets on the knuckles to keep from ripping the steering arms off with hydro and a truss to keep from bending it. That's basically all my old jeep had done and I never had a problem with it, he'll that axle was in butchs red ch for 4 years before I got it (although I put the 35 spline stuff in it) biggest thing for you will be shafts.
    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Same advice as above for the front. Some sort of 35-spline stubs, at least Spicer joints, and make sure it has non-necked inner shafts at the minimum. On my Chevy version I have 35-spline Yukon stubs, Spicers, and new Spicer inners (bought years ago before any reasonably priced chromo's), with drive flanges. Also run a Lock-right with stock 4.10 gears. Never had a problem in the current condition after many years under a 6k truck with 40" Swampers, but I don't have a lot of power.

78Buford with his Ford version ran Spicer 35-spline shafts and joints with flanges for years. He did break a stub after several years of abuse under a 7k truck with 42's and a big-block, but the spindle bearing was also shot and had dug a groove in the shaft right where it broke. He didn't have as much luck with the Lock-right and now has a Detroit. Also broke one of the stock knuckles (this era Ford is known to have weaker knuckles) so he now has Cranes. With Yukon shafts and some sort of high-zoot u-joints, Detroit, and Crane knuckles he has beat on it for years without issues.

Not sure if I would even bother with the rear 60. You can verify but the smaller 30-spline axle versions are pretty common and it takes a bunch of work to convert to 35-spline (but you might be lucky). I would recommend just holding out for a 14-bolt or D70. Neither is hard to find or expensive.

Comment

i would hold out for 60/14b with gears already installd 456 or 488
        SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
          i would hold out for 60/14b with gears already installd 456 or 488
          I wouldn't pass up a pair of 4.10 geared axles (seems to be by far the most common factory setup). Factory gears any lower just are not that common, and at least with GM's 4.56 is the only other common ratio but you would never notice the difference between 4.10 and 4.56. Along those lines, for an off-road only rig that might be enough gearing if you have lot's of t-case gearing already. Though I will say you can usually get a good price if you find a set of axles that already have aftermarket stuff installed.

If you do plan on regearing keep in mind the carrier breaks. On the 14B try to stay with the 4.10 or higher gears as most of the aftermarket lower gears are designed as "thick" gears that use this carrier. If you have 4.56 gears and want lower you often need to get a new carrier. Also if you want a Detroit you want the open carrier as the Detroit installs like a Lock-right in these diffs and won't work with the factory posi.

On the other hand, for standard rotation Dodge and GM D60's they don't make thick gears so anything 4.56 or lower requires a different carrier than the 4.10's..........of course if you are going Detroit, ARB, etc... it doesn't matter.

Comment

Skip the dodge red headed stepchild axle and stick w a chevy if u are ps drop. Dodge short side is funky length, easier to fiind chevy spare shafts..

Weld rear carrier into " the orb of traction".

X2 on payin a little extra for factory 4.56. --IF-- that ratio works for ya. If u changin it all out anyway then buy whats cheaper.

If u love being narrow like a toy but strength of a 60, run uncut h1 wheels w 7" bs. Requires specific high steer arms but with 12.50 wide tsls I was79" wide outside to outside iirc on front, less in rear.

Ill have a 4:56 front and rear up for sale here in a month. But they are dually. I'm gonna convert the front but rear is basically a 4:56 carrier with 300 lbs of useless attatched to it
            Last edited by yellowjacket; 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM.
            my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

yeah that make sense, if i had to do over i would buy a set already built from someone parting out buggy, with everything done 5.38s and chromos and front locker. seems to b cheaper than giving 12 hundy for 60/14b then having to go through them and change everything. someones loss can b ur gain if u keep an eye in the 4sale section
              SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

So far i have worked out a FREE(buddy deal) king pin dodge 60 front and a $150 dana 70 rear with supposedly 4:88 or 5;13s.... For the price I'll probably get these;)

Comment

Wow! That's awesome. A Free 60.... AND a 70 in the rear. Hey u got any pics of ur rig not upside down? Or a build thread?
                  my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Its an old thread but except for the tires and gears its mostly the same.And there are pics of Facebook if you on there...

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthre...ght=buggy+redo

Comment

RCV shafts in the front and aftermarket knuckles = done!
                      sigpic

Comment

As light as your rig is, I don't see you having a problem with the stock 60. I ran the stock one for a while on my full size and beat it hard. It stayed together.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                          As light as your rig is, I don't see you having a problem with the stock 60. I ran the stock one for a while on my full size and beat it hard. It stayed together.
                          He's running stickies though, stickies have a bad habit of snapping factory splined outers, no matter the weight of a rig. Especially if he welds the front.
                          zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
                            He's running stickies though, stickies have a bad habit of snapping factory splined outers, no matter the weight of a rig. Especially if he welds the front.
                            Not welding it, putting a spool in since the carrier is diffrent from 4;10s to 4;88s.So looks like 35 spline outters and good joints for the front ,and I picked up that 70 rear yesterday for $100 and it has factory 4;88s

Comment

u b ok wit 35 spline outers in 60, they will take a beating especially lite weight and low hp! alot of the "cheaper" Smith motorsports buggies are running spicer joints and spicer 35 spline outers with healthy sbc's and hold up well
                              SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Working...
                              X