Ians Buggy Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ians Buggy Build

After some thoughtfull consideration I decided to part out the CJ and use as much of it as I can to put together a full tube buggy. Todd at Shotgun Fab will be helping immensly on this build and is the one who finally convinced me to go for it. I sold the frame, tub, and steering to a local guy. Here is a picture of what is left, minus the engine, wheels and tires.
    (the chassis you see in this pic is another one Todd put together with a friend of his on Monday and Tuesday. He's been busy.

I took some time to sketch out my ideas in AutoCAD before getting started just to keep the scale of it in check. I picked up a stack of tubing from Carwash last week and started bending on Wednsday. Got the main tubing of the chassis together yesterday. We got to try out his new Baleigh tubing notcher on my chassis and it worked really well. Much quicker and more precise than his old setup.

In the pics the chassis is sitting at ride height but the axles are not in the correct locations. We put in two 15 hr days but got alot done. So far I'm really liking it. Roughly 114" wheelbase, with a 21" belly, 51" wide at the belt line and 68" to the top of the cage. I'm using the SBC 400/700R4/Atlas drivetrain out of the Jeep along with the axles (Dana 60/70) tires (39.5 TSLs) and wheels. Using 17" Bilstein 9100 series coil overs to suspend it. Next big purchases will be heims, steering components and seats. Have a double ended ram but need to locate an orbital. Not sure what to go with yet. Seats will be Kirky Pro Drag 16" wide (I'm a scrawny guy). I'll continue to update as things progress. Realistically, I hope to be riding by Memorial Day weekend. With 6 kids at home finding time to work on it will be the biggest hurdle. Big thanks to Todd for motivating me and helping out as well as the garage space and use of tools. He has a great setup for fabrication and is working on a new chassis for himself to move out of the single seater. It's gonna be pretty radical.
    Last edited by Drivermod; 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM.
    Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

thats sweet man, i like it alot simple but cool.. I dig it for sure..I drive by his shop once a week and always think about stoping i may have to next time
    Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

very nice start sir!. i been waiting to see your vision...make sure you leave room for suspension seats down the road... is it all 1.75 ?
      my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

I wrestled with the suspension seat vs Kirky thing for awhile and just decided with a flat belly it would be too tall with suspension seats. As it is now I should have around 5-6"s of head clearance. A suspension seat would easily fit the drivers side but wouldn't work well on the passenger side because of the transfercase. The Bilsteins should absorb most of the hits unless I land hard on the belly skid. Thanks for the replys. I can't wait to see as a roller. Shouldn't be too long.

All 1.75" except the windshield braces. I will be adding some more 1.75 and 1.25" gussets here and there. The belly is framed in 1/4 wall and the rest is .120 wall.
        Last edited by Drivermod; 12-31-2011, 08:16 PM.
        Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Way cool that thing is coming along nice!

Comment

I really like the lines on that chassis! Glad it's coming along man!

Comment

Time for some updates. I took a few days over the last couple of weeks to make all the little parts that would allow us to finish off the suspension. This weekend I took Friday off so we could spend two days on it in hopes of knocking it out and finishing all the work we would need to do up on the fabrication table. It went smoothly and we not only got the suspension knocked out but mounted the drivers seat, steering ram and my new to me Creepy Crawlers. Check out the pics. Todd and I have about 7 days total in this build so far. Alot of the big hurdles are past but I know the real work begins now.

58"s under the front tire

60"s under the rear tire

Ian and Todd's buggies

We started on his in early December and mine just after Christmas. I hope the rest of the project goes as smoothly.

Ian
              Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

As it sits I ended up at 114" wheelbase, 21" belly height and 66.5" roof height. The shocks are 17" Bilsteins set at roughly 8"s of uptravel.
                Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

looking sweet!
                  ------------------------------------

my rig

Comment

i am really liking the look of those buggies.
                    beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Originally posted by underpowered View Post
                      i am really liking the look of those buggies.
                      Thanks. Stop by and check em out.
                      Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

i may be out to check out Todds shop one day, see what kinda stuff he can get for the blazer i am picking up this week.
                        beat up rusted out k5

Comment

i have to agree with whomever it was about the suspension seats. trust me, as someone with a bad back it will be the best upgrade you could ever do. i just got around to doing it myself a few months ago but i wish i had done it years ago. no matter how smooth it rides or you think it might ride it will be much better with a good set of susp. seats and your whole body (not just your back) will appreciate it immensely. surely there is something you can do to make the pass. side work out.
                          95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

Not everyone has a pansy back like yours boomhauer. Timmie Cameron runs kirkeys, they must be cool. I'll have them in my new rig, and all I've ever owned is PRP suspension seats. If you want a tight rig, you can't fit a suspension seat in it.

Comment

I'd rather have soft seats and the roof line a couple inches taller than have a smashed vertebrae. Whats the rule for distance from the top of your head to the cage? 2",3",5"?

Comment

Working...
                              X