GMC Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMC Build

Starting to collect parts to convert my 2000 GMC 2500 over to a solid axle. Truck has a 6.0, 4l80e, np261 combo, 220k miles, some rust issues, and overall was nickle and dimeing me as a DD. Plan is to have a truck that I can drive around town, and do some moderate wheeling.

Just picked up a set of 60's, that I need to go through and clean up. Plan is to do a radius arm front suspension with coil overs. I've found most everything I need (mount and joint wise) from Ballistic fab. I'll probably be clicking the "order" button next week some time. Anyone have any experience with a radius arm setup?

The only big unanswered question I have is about my transfer case. IFS trucks have a slip yoke style case and I need to convert it over to a flange output, or swap in a transfer case that will work. Suggestions?

I'll get some pics up in the next couple days.
    JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
    87 Toyota Truggy

Check offroad unlimited... They work strictly with Chevrolet sas swaps and have the stuff to convert front tcase output to fixed yoke... Also have a ton of kits available if u want something bolt on... Good luck and post pics
    S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
      Starting to collect parts to convert my 2000 GMC 2500 over to a solid axle. Truck has a 6.0, 4l80e, np261 combo, 220k miles, some rust issues, and overall was nickle and dimeing me as a DD. Plan is to have a truck that I can drive around town, and do some moderate wheeling.

Just picked up a set of 60's, that I need to go through and clean up. Plan is to do a radius arm front suspension with coil overs. I've found most everything I need (mount and joint wise) from Ballistic fab. I'll probably be clicking the "order" button next week some time. Anyone have any experience with a radius arm setup?

The only big unanswered question I have is about my transfer case. IFS trucks have a slip yoke style case and I need to convert it over to a flange output, or swap in a transfer case that will work. Suggestions?

I'll get some pics up in the next couple days.
      Finally someone else with a full size rig.

I still have the slip yoke on mine and haven't had any problems with it falling out. I used leaf springs in the front to replace the ifs. It fairly easy and cheaper than a kit. I used 52" rear springs which flexes real well, but not so great on the street. For more street driving, you should use front springs, but it won't flex good. Coil springs would be an interesting setup. I would like to see that. Watch that rear 60, they are easy to kill in a full size. I killed one and found a cheap 10.25 to build.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
        Finally someone else with a full size rig.

I still have the slip yoke on mine and haven't had any problems with it falling out. I used leaf springs in the front to replace the ifs. It fairly easy and cheaper than a kit. I used 52" rear springs which flexes real well, but not so great on the street. For more street driving, you should use front springs, but it won't flex good. Coil springs would be an interesting setup. I would like to see that. Watch that rear 60, they are easy to kill in a full size. I killed one and found a cheap 10.25 to build.
        What transfer case are you running? Is your front output a slip yoke style? From what I'm reading the front output doesn't have enough slip for the flex of a solid axle truck. It looks like a NP241 is a bolt in unit, and you can buy slip yoke eliminators for them.

I wanna try the radius arm and coil overs, just to be a little different. I haven't seen anyone around here running this set up yet. Not sure if i'll throw the 60 under the rear or if I'll just regear the stock 3/4ton rear end for now, since it already has disc brakes.
        JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
        87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Be careful ordering anything from ballistic.
          Search them one pirate4x4 and you'll see why.
          I woulld look into ruffstuff or barnes or other companies.
          Just a heads up from what Ive seen happenin.
          BYAAH!!!

Comment

i have ordered from ballistic lately with no issues.... dont be scared to order from them.... on the same note i am a much bigger fan of ruffstuff...dan has always taken good care of me...hell join em on facebook and u get 10% off...dont saound like much but usually enough to pay for shipping cost but again just my .02
            S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at ballistic since they have a really nice compact setup for the radius arm and lower coil over mount, that I have yet to see anywhere else. Link: Ballistic Radius arm mount

I'll check out Ruffstuff and see what he can do for me.
              JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
              87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at ballistic since they have a really nice compact setup for the radius arm and lower coil over mount, that I have yet to see anywhere else. Link: Ballistic Radius arm mount

I'll check out Ruffstuff and see what he can do for me.
                Some people say they havent had problems with them but im not willing to take the risk on what Ive seen.
                Give dan a call directly and tell him what your doing and he'll give you everything you need.

Also u&k metal works is local on this board, He makes brackets and such as well if you want to buy good stuff from a local guy
                BYAAH!!!

Comment

x2 on ballistic. id rather eat corn from a hogs butt.

yup call zach he can do it just as good with better service.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
                  my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

I bought some stuff recently and they sent it out pretty quick. They filed for chapter 11 but are not shutting down. I think they carry low inventory and if they are out of what you are ordering they just make you wait. They slimmed down their product list and are undergoing "reconstruction" so they say they are going to get better.

Comment

I am not for or against Ballistic but I just recieved this email from them today.

Copy & Pasted:

January 24, 2012

Re-organization of Ballistic Fabrication

For Immediate Release:

Ballistic Fabrication is best known for its outstanding off-road product line and high quality in-house manufacturing capabilities. Ballistic has faced many adversities over the past few years related to inventory, product delivery and customer service. It is well known in the industry that while Ballistic Fabrication continues to supply large amounts of high quality parts worldwide, the aforementioned deficiencies have created longer than usual lead times in shipping and product delivery. These problems have been attributed in part to extremely rapid company growth which in turn led to inventory control issues.

Ballistic Fabrication has partnered with an investor to bring additional financial stability to the company. In an effort to better serve its customers, Ballistic has invested in a state-of-the-art inventory / shop management system. Ballistic will now be able to effectively manage production and inventory of every specific part in their catalog of thousands of part numbers. This information in turn will be reported live to Ballistics customers via the website. Ballistic hopes that this new system alleviates future confusion and issues related to potential backorders. In addition to these improvements, Ballistic now stocks a complete inventory of raw materials on hand. Ballistic hopes that this will alleviate backorders due to raw material supply shortages. Ballistic Fabrication has also found it necessary to restructure specific key personnel in the management and accounting team.

In addition to these changes, Ballistic has filed for Ch11 reorganization in order to restructure its financial obligations. Ballistic Fabrications lawyer stated the following -

“The past few years presented significant economic challenges to Ballistic Fabrication, LLC. Material costs, shipping costs, and the overall economic downturn are only a few factors that played a role in Ballistics decision to file a petition for bankruptcy relief. Contrary to any rumors circulating, Ballistic will not be shutting its doors. Ballistic will be continuing operations while reorganizing its debts and obligations. This process will not affect Ballistics’ ability to produce quality products and to service its customers. Ballistic and all of its dedicated employees are confident that they will emerge a stronger company.”

Ballistic Fabrication would like to thank its many loyal customers for years of support and looks forward to the opportunity to regain its customers trust and becoming the standard of excellence in the off-road industry.

-Ballistic Fabrication Management

PDF Version :

assets/images/PDF/Ballistic Press Release MRK 1.pdf
                      One Country, One Flag, One Language...
                      LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

What transfer case are you running? Is your front output a slip yoke style? From what I'm reading the front output doesn't have enough slip for the flex of a solid axle truck. It looks like a NP241 is a bolt in unit, and you can buy slip yoke eliminators for them.

I wanna try the radius arm and coil overs, just to be a little different. I haven't seen anyone around here running this set up yet. Not sure if i'll throw the 60 under the rear or if I'll just regear the stock 3/4ton rear end for now, since it already has disc brakes.
                        I have a 241. Only slip is in the rear. If you have a semi float 14 in the rear, they are pretty tough. I had one in mine before I went to tons and 40's. I beat the crap out of it with 35's and it was fine. I did upgrade the axles to Yukons.

Comment

Radius arms are fine, I have been running them for years with coils and trac bar. One wristed is a requirement.
                          91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                            I have a 241. Only slip is in the rear. If you have a semi float 14 in the rear, they are pretty tough. I had one in mine before I went to tons and 40's. I beat the crap out of it with 35's and it was fine. I did upgrade the axles to Yukons.
                            Ok good to know. The 261 is a slip on both outputs. I'll beat on the stock stuff until it breaks then upgrade as needed.
                            JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                            87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

I know it has been a while, but finally getting started on this project. Getting ready to order a 3 link kit and wanted some input. I really like the Ruff stuff kit. But also looking at the Barnes offroad kit. Mainly wondering out heims vs johnny joints? Truck will be primarily off road, but will see a small amount of street duty.

Hoping to pull it in the garage in the next couple weeks and commence with the hacking.
                              JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                              87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Working...
                              X