Grinding centers on rims.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding centers on rims.

I just picked up a set of yota rims. They don't fit over the hubs. There is about a quarter inch of metal on the inside of the hub that looks like it can come off. Can I do it with a grinder. I will do it the best I can.but if it isn't exactly perfect all around will I notice on the road?

Mistakes courtesy of Tapatalk
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

long answer yes..... or maybe not if your using the tires that are on them and they are allready balanced but the hub needs to be centered for a tire balance machine to work properly. so if balance wont be an issue or just an offroad wheel no problem but otherwise you will have issues later on.
      One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

try a 4 1/8" hole saw bit and see if you can get the it cut out.. I got some hummer rims that need them cut out also.. I did fit that if you use 3" spacers you dont need to cut the centers they will stick out far enough not to hit the bolts from the lockouts.
        Thanks,
        67fastback

-------------
        84 Honda cr60r - for sale
        87 Honda 200sx - for sale
        67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
        04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
        87 sami - "SPLAT"
        87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
        88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by 67fastback View Post
            try a 4 1/8" hole saw bit and see if you can get the it cut out.. I got some hummer rims that need them cut out also.. I did fit that if you use 3" spacers you dont need to cut the centers they will stick out far enough not to hit the bolts from the lockouts.
            Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
            I will try that.

If you can sandwich the center of the rim between 2 pieces of plywood and be able to find the center of the hole, then drill the hole saw thru the plywood and it will make it a nice smooth cut... But from experience i used 1 hole saw per wheel... Slow and good lube will help a lot too, but find something that will not catch on fire to easy... I used the good milwaukee hole saws...

hth...
            sigpic
            chris hodges
            96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
            71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

i have cut out a set with a plasma cutter at work before and was able to obtain an even smooth cut.
              beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Originally posted by underpowered View Post
                i have cut out a set with a plasma cutter at work before and was able to obtain an even smooth cut.
                ha ha key words here at work...
                this is a hillybilly wheelin adventure hence the reason we are cuttin them out in the first place trying to stay low budget...we dont have a plasma cutter...

but all good...
                Thanks,
                67fastback

-------------
                84 Honda cr60r - for sale
                87 Honda 200sx - for sale
                67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
                04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
                87 sami - "SPLAT"
                87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
                88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

Hillbilly wheeling adventure. I think that fits

Comment

i did this once, had a nice set of ford f150 4x4 wheels i wanted to use on my tracker... i actually set a holesaw set. I took measurement of f150 rim center hole and used the same size holesaw bit for the pilot and then measured the hub on the tracker and used that size bit to cut. so my pilot was the bit the size of original hole, took about a day to measure, buy correct size holesaw bits and drill but they looked like the were factory when finished.

Comment

Working...
                    X