BFG KM2's backordered? Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFG KM2's backordered? Again?

Split a sidewall on my 35x12.50-15 on the CORE Tour way back in November, and while sam's would be happy to replace it under road-hazard, they just couldn't get em from BFG. Four months later they still don't know when they might.

I'd found a few online, but I wasn't willing to buy a tire out of pocket to keep from running a mismatched spare...

But now I've split a second one. So much for BFG's "new n improved sidewall technology..."

So now I'm out of full-size spares. I guess my only options are to cough up $300 for yet another pos tire I can't rely on; or park the rig til BFG feels like making more, and sell the set to buy something better...

I'm sure some pointy headed accountant thought it would save them a pile of money to strip their inventories down to nil, but this is the **** that drives customers away.

I won't buy another set of BFG's, and I'll discourage others from it as well...

Thanks for the vent.

Robert
    Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM.
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Poor poor robert......:( this definitely doesn't boost morale about BFG. I just pray to God I don't bash one of mine. Maybe then we could combine spares and share a complete set
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Comment

Originally posted by stickman
      Sell the other 2 and get somthin better.
      You buyin?

If I can get $650 each out of em, I can get a set of kevlars...

Robert

Comment

Four months and still waiting.That blows...I agree the sidewalls should be stronger.The flat rock slices and cuts them up pretty good.Mine are cut up pretty bad.What do you think about the Pitbull tires??ComancheDude (Tom) likes his set.

Nick
        Last edited by Coppertop; 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM.
        Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
        Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
          Four months and still waiting.That blows...I agree the sidewalls should be stronger.The flat rock slices and cuts up pretty good.Mine are cut up pretty bad.What do you think about the Pitbull tires??ComancheDude (Tom) likes his set.

Nick
          The few guys i know that run the Pitbulls love em, except they seem to run small... I know a guy that has 37's on a yota like mine and with 30# of air the only measure about 35 1/2"s and they are almost new... They will the tire i buy when the time comes....
          sigpic
          chris hodges
          96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
          71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
            What do you think about the Pitbull tires??ComancheDude (Tom) likes his set.

Nick
            I love the look of them, and I've heard they work really well. But I don't know how they'd be on a daily driver, and I'm seeing prices around $350 ea.

I sent a nasty-gram to BFG, they replied that production is "scheduled" for the end of the month. We'll see.

In the meantime, I guess I'll street drive it w/ a 30" AT spare, and not wheel it til I get a real one...

Robert

(Edit: Nick, I'd like to talk to Tom about those 'bulls. What's the best way to get him? PM here? NAXJA? FB? Thanks!)
            Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Get the same thing all the time on BFG and Goodyear. Mostly the shortage is due to government and OEM contracts. Aftermarket is not their top priority.

And I hear countless times a day about cut sidewalls on BFG's. Did the same on mine down at Royal Blue and never did figure out what cut it. I can tell you that the trail I was on at the time wasn't much.

If you want a radial that has tough as nails sidewalls and work great on the trail and run true to size, check out the Nitto's. It's by far our best selling tire where I work in Lex and the Trail Grappler is a great trail/street shoe.

Pitbulls have jumped up in price four times I think in the last year. If someone has old stock you might be able to get them a little cheaper, but they're going for over four bones for many sizes anymore and close to that on others. Not great on a daily driver. Too aggressive of a tread and wear too fast unless you have money to burn.
              Just another three linked stretched '95 YJ on 38s with a bunch of stuff scattered on the garage floor.

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
                The few guys i know that run the Pitbulls love em, except they seem to run small... I know a guy that has 37's on a yota like mine and with 30# of air the only measure about 35 1/2"s and they are almost new... They will the tire i buy when the time comes....
                Are his radials? Pitbulls are known all over pirate for being oversized. My 37" radials measure slightly over 37".

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                  I love the look of them, and I've heard they work really well. But I don't know how they'd be on a daily driver, and I'm seeing prices around $350 ea.
                  Robert

(Edit: Nick, I'd like to talk to Tom about those 'bulls. What's the best way to get him? PM here? NAXJA? FB? Thanks!)
                  PM sent

Nick
                  Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                  Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by nshefbuch View Post
                    Are his radials? Pitbulls are known all over pirate for being oversized. My 37" radials measure slightly over 37".
                    not sure... i will look into it..
                    sigpic
                    chris hodges
                    96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
                    71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by nshefbuch View Post
                      This is what I've heard also...

My SX'x are holding up to the rocks pretty well wouldn't want to DD them though.
                      ------------------------------------

my rig

Comment

Don't forget to look at the width of pitbulls. Damn wide last I looked. Ignore what the tire size is and go right to their spec sheet. 35" rockers are 15" wide.

Pretty sure they balloon like iroks. Measure well when aired up off the vehicle but much shorter air down with weight on it.
                        I never thought about that. Next time I air down I will measure width. Mine are radials so I don't think they will bulge like bias. I dd mine and that's why I chose radials.

Comment

I can't understand how a shop offering a road hazard warranty can just tell the guy (wrenchmonkey) .. "hey , we dont have those tires so you're screwed".

They should be making it right somehow..they would be putting a new set of comparable size/style tires on my rig or refunding my money.

Comment

Since you dd yur stuck with radials. you'll always be at a higher risk of cut sidewalls regardless of the tire. Top choice for me would be kevlar goodyears but they wear out uber fast on the road.

I see the pitbull radials are a bit more normal in width, just don't expect to get the toughness of the bias rockers. That's what their rep was built on.
                            I understand and agree completely. I have only been on a few rocks before and not enough to even say I Rock crawl any. I mainly do trails and mud but plan on getting on some rocks this summer. I'm running h1's so I was very limited on tire choice. It was narrowed down to irok vs pitbulls and every review I read pitbull came out on top. Plus at the time swampers were in a iffy situation cutting production big time. Pitbulls were on sale too

Comment

how many bfgs to do have I need a spare

Comment

Working...
                              X