F... Leaf Springs !!!!!!! uuurrrrgggg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F... Leaf Springs !!!!!!! uuurrrrgggg

OK had a blast over the week end , wheeled Sat. and broke a drive shaft u joint .... no biggy , fixed it and wheeled all day Sunday with out too much problems then last night a few guy when out and I decided to go....... I bent a leaf on the passenger side a few months ago and have been keeping an eye on it ever since , so ....... the drivers side main leaf snaps last night causing the front axle to rest on the bump stop all the way home and the passenger side spring looks like a figure 8 ....... Time for a change, time for links ....

I need some advise, 3 link ? 4 link ? radius arm ? I was thinking about copying the RC long arm Cherokee lift that we put on a buddies XJ ..... Any input would be great .....

Signed,

poor leaning jeep

Front or rear? Plans on street driving it? For street use, I would 3 link the front, double triangulate the rear. All trail, I would double triangulate both.
    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

I agree with Mckeddie. If you still have a steering box I would go with a 3 link plus a trac bar. With a triangulated 4 link and no trac bar you will have bump steer.
      Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

What makes the 3 link more streetable in the front to you? I don't see any reason at all not to double triangulate both if you have the room, whether its street driven or not.

Let me know if you need link material sarge, I've got quite a few sizes in stock.

Comment

With your fab skills you should skip right over a RC design. They are made to be bolt on suspensions and you can improve off their design by not being limited to where you can bolt brackets.

3 link with Panhard bar is what I would build, but I don't have an experience with a double trianguled front.

Comment

as far as it leaning goes.....just rebuild your roll cage to be higher on the side that is lower.

and when u park just flex it up on something so it looks level:)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
            my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Screw a 3 link with teac bar... No way I woukd ever run that... Double triangulate both ends and wheel the piss out of it... Look at jwends fir good design
              S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                as far as it leaning goes.....just rebuild your roll cage to be higher on the side that is lower.

and when u park just flex it up on something so it looks level:)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
                did that tornado hit hit your head ..... hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                  What makes the 3 link more streetable in the front to you? I don't see any reason at all not to double triangulate both if you have the room, whether its street driven or not.

Let me know if you need link material sarge, I've got quite a few sizes in stock.
                  Street driven is not in the picture .... I live 1/2 mile from the woods and trailer my **** any further then that ... I want flexaable , low and capable . period . Mike , I will be getting with you soon , I have 200 feet of 1 3/4 " DOM hanging in the shop but not all of it is for me , I think I need to order some Ruffstuff hiems ....... more tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
                    Front or rear? Plans on street driving it? For street use, I would 3 link the front, double triangulate the rear. All trail, I would double triangulate both.
                    Front ! and limited steet use .... I am the law you know !!!!!

Comment

If you're going to spend the time and money, no way should you radius arm it. I've got a 3 link + track bar in the front and 4 link in the rear and I like the way it works. For my layout 4 link wasn't possible in the front.
                      ------------------------------------

my rig

Comment

I'm actually a fan of the radius long arm. I've heard seen a lot of good thing about them. And of course some hate mail...... I'm looking to do that to the tj
                        If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Comment

What could possibly by the good things about a radius arm assembly, aside from road handling? Desert trucks, maybe, cuz the axle drops evenly as it jumps etc. But on an offroad vehicle that needs to flex one tire down and one up, it's just plain awful. Relying on poly/rubber bushings to give and move inside an assembly to provide flex is crazy.

Comment

Isn't that the purpose of the frame side heim joint? I'm not sure about a 3 link making 1 arm do the job of 2.(Upper 3rd link)
                            If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Comment

ain't nothing wrong with a 3 link front humpy. i love mine and it handles very well at speed on the road even with full hydro. the very same hour it was finished and running casey and i went for about and hour and a half long ride starting out on his windy ass curvy road and at 55 or 60 it handled great and still does 2 yrs. later.

as for flex, i usually win at our show and shines until dearing got his buggy done and if i remember correctly he was the only to better me last year at the c.o.r.e event. even beat brody's buggie. not that an rti ramp will do you any good in the woods.
                              95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X