Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hydrolink - New idea we have finally released...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hydrolink - New idea we have finally released...

Shotgun Fab New Product Release: The HydroLink

This is an item that has been in development for a while, and it is finally at a point that we can apply for patent and release it. In an effort to clean up the front end plumbing on fully hydraulic-steered vehicles, we have developed the HydroLink. The HydroLink utilizes the upper 4-link suspension bars as hydraulic fluid carrying lines. Simplified, the upper links become hard lines for your steering system.

The link itself starts life as a piece of 1.5 x .250 wall seamless DOM. Special tubing inserts are utilized which have a capped internal end, allowing us to seal the tube off completely for fluid and pressure seal. This insert is threaded both internally and externally, allowing for engagement and strength along the entire insert as opposed to the common insert only being supportive of the joint at the end where the weld is. The 1.5” tube is bored and threaded internally to accept the insert and they are fully TIG welded to ensure a sealed system.

The links are then drilled and tapped on each end towards the insert with ¼” NPT threads (3/8” available as an option). This will allow the end user to utilize any kind of fitting they like once adapted from the NPT or to utilize an NPT to JIC elbow to connect right to your steering lines. (Photos below show an npt union in place just for presentation.) Before shipping, every bar is tested at 2000 psi in a dip tank to ensure a leak-free system. The volume of fluid that a 30” link holds is 1.13 quarts. Using a pair of these links allows you to run an extra 2.26 quarts of steering fluid total, adding in an excellent cooling advantage. Increase in bar length increases the amount of fluid accordingly. Links can be ordered any length you desire at no extra charge.

The price on the pair of links, any desired length, is $225. That gets you two links fully welded with ¾-16 inserts, tapped on all ends to ¼” npt for fittings. Add in optional powder-coating any color of your choice for $25 more. Increase the npt ports to ⅜” for an additional $10.

Advantages:
    Reduces the length of vulnerable hydraulic lines running down the frame.
    Additional 2.26 quarts of fluid added to the system per pair of 30” bars (more or less depending on length).
    Added strength of a fully threaded and welded insert. Full 2 inches of engaged external thread inside the bar.

Disadvantages:
    You tell us, please.

In the installed photos below, we see an earlier prototype utilizing o-ring fittings instead of npt. Please call us if you desire this type of setup instead. Every bar is made to order due to all the different possible link lengths you might want. Allow a few days for production and shipping once an order is placed.
    Attached Files

Looks nice. Seems like AN bungs would be the standard though.

only think I could think of that would possibly be a disadvantage is that the frame end of your send and return lines would be so far apart... The return line would have to route back over/around/under the engine to the reservoir... of course that also equals more fluid capacity.

Price is appealing!
    ------------------------------------

my rig

Comment

how much $ for the fluted/ribbed/finned aluminum link upgrade to dissapate heat better?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
      my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by kentuckytwostep View Post
        Looks nice. Seems like AN bungs would be the standard though.

only think I could think of that would possibly be a disadvantage is that the frame end of your send and return lines would be so far apart... The return line would have to route back over/around/under the engine to the reservoir... of course that also equals more fluid capacity.

Price is appealing!
        Agreed, but I have no problem running an extra 3' of line or so. Like you said, the more fluid the better.

The AN bung limits possibilities for what different people might want to run. With an npt as standard, it can be adapted immediately to anything. Especially since you will want to go right to a 90 or 45 degree fitting anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
          how much $ for the fluted/ribbed/finned aluminum link upgrade to dissapate heat better?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
          Yeah, I had said the same thing when we first started making them, some other way to dissipate heat would be awesome as well. I wouldn't trust a fluted and finned aluminum tube for a suspension link tho...

Comment

Working...
          X