No announcement yet.

Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always said if i can get out of my driveway i can get anywhere else... It's the ice and the other idiots that scare me...

sigpic
    chris hodges
    96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
    71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
      and the other idiots that scare me...

Your right about that...Reason I like driving late night,they tend to be home in bed.

WHO-DEY
      Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
      Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
        The last seven years I been driving four to five days a week from Cincy to Chicago.Boy,have a dealt with some bad winter weather.I'm happy to say it's never stopped me.I see it as a challenge too.The snow really don't scare me,It's the ice I fear.

WHO-DEY
        The drive from Dayton to Danville IL once a week this summer was too much. We stayed in a hotel then came home on the weekend, noway would I drive that everyday.

Comment

Someone at work asked me if the 'blizzard' would have been bad, if I had supplies to last. I figured I had to know someone who would drive in whatever mother nature throwed....looks like I was right.
          I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Few years back we had 18-20 inches and I found that my 2001 cummins with 33" TSL swampers did worse than my 2001 gas with 33 BFG at's. Extra power helps out with deep snow and fuel goes fast. Wet snow and powder snow are 2 different animals and require different set-ups. If I lived farther north I think a track system on a vehicle would be fun.

18 inches of snow becomes difficult with tires under 38".
            sigpic

Comment

Several years ago I drove back from Harlan in what I would call a blizzard. By the time I got to 75 there was about 12 inches of snow on the ground. I was driving the 2 wheel drive F 250 I drive now and towing my Jeep. I had no problems I would do it again if I had to
              91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
                The drive from Dayton to Danville IL once a week this summer was too much. We stayed in a hotel then came home on the weekend, noway would I drive that everyday.
                Guess ,I just got used to it...With over a million miles accident free,I'm thinking it's time for a change.

WHO-DEY
                Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                  the 2 wheel drive F 250 I drive now and towing my Jeep. I had no problems I would do it again if I had to
                  Is that the 5.4 V8? My diesel is worthless in the snow, and worse on any soft ground. I guess it's the weight of the engine, it just sinks like a stone.

I drive either one of my XJ's before I ever take that thing out, 4x4 or not.
                  DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

the 18" we got a few years ago didn't stop me on the roads, but i did end up stuck in a field trying to get a trailer out and had to be plowed out.

have yet to ever be snowed in, and would hate to see what it would take to do so. now Ice, thats a whole new animal. I recall an ice storm 8-9 years ago or so that covered everything. my brothers 94 Yota would not come up the slight grade of our driveway in it.
                    beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                      Is that the 5.4 V8? My diesel is worthless in the snow, and worse on any soft ground. I guess it's the weight of the engine, it just sinks like a stone.

I drive either one of my XJ's before I ever take that thing out, 4x4 or not.
                      Yup. I will attempt any hill in the city. Made it up Collins (off "Riverside Drive ")) with a few inches a few years ago. Can't be afraid of the rev limiter. The utility bed helps too with alot of weight.
                      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

That is the key, weight over the drive wheels.

Comment

For being snowed in, it really depends on what the snow is like. You can plow through the light powdery stuff pretty easy but heavy and wet snow is a different story. Also depends on what is under the snow.

Used to live Northwest of Columbus and a few years ago got about 12" of snow with heavy drifting. There were streets in our subdivision that my K5 with 40" tires and lockers could not get down (well, with backing up and heavy throttle it would go about 3' forward at a time). Snow was over the bumpers and winch, and it was the very light powder type of snow.

I remember being snowed in as a kid back in the mid-80's. They let us out of school early because of the snow and before they got us home it was a blizzard and the bus finally ran off the road and got stuck. A state snowplow came by and pulled us out. We lived right on the edge of a small town and the next morning I remember watching my dad pull out of the driveway in our FJ-40 onto a state route, go about 20' and turn around and come back. Because of the blowing snow you couldn't tell from any distance but the road had at least 5-6' deep drifts in any direction as soon as you got away from the houses and into open farm fields. It took a day or two until the local stone quarry brought one of their big loaders through.

Comment

Working...
                          X