Monster Transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by comanchedude View Post
    Idk. They have 26 bbb complains in last 3 years. That's one per month but I don't know how many trans they sell per month.

http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/busi...le-fl-90008419

Did you talk to them about the small band? If it cost more to get a replacement then a rebuild kit guess you have your answer. Stuff like this sucks ass. Did you ask them what makes the trans they sold you )HD? Maybe they sold you a std unit by mistake? ..give them hell !
    They quoted me around $400 to ship it back to them so they could "look" at it. It cost me less than that to replace the band. If I rebuild it, the parts and torque converter will cost me a little more than $400. No telling how long they would keep it either.

This is the trans I ordered.
    http://www.monstertrans.com/store/pr...%252d2009.html
    And one of their heavy duty towing converters.

Comment

When I got home last night, I started the van to see if it would move and it did. It moved in drive and reverse. I pulled it in the garage and checked the fluid, and it smelled a little burnt. So now something is causing it to overheat. Something happened to it when I backed it in the driveway. At least it isn't total junk, and should be rebuildable. I'm thinking a seal blew or the converter is fried.

Comment

Just read their warranty.. its kinda not worth much as you have to pay so much to ship back and forth.. I agree with you its better to just rebuild yourself or local. guess the trans was not quite "Engineered to Dominate"

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
        When I got home last night, I started the van to see if it would move and it did. It moved in drive and reverse. I pulled it in the garage and checked the fluid, and it smelled a little burnt. So now something is causing it to overheat. Something happened to it when I backed it in the driveway. At least it isn't total junk, and should be rebuildable. I'm thinking a seal blew or the converter is fried.
        just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

The name "monster" sounds cool so it must be an awesome transmission! :o

Some of the tv shows use this brand but we only see it installed and not really tested unfortunately. I will be near the "monster" facility in 2 months and can throw it through their window if you need me to return it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
            The name "monster" sounds cool so it must be an awesome transmission! :o

Some of the tv shows use this brand but we only see it installed and not really tested unfortunately. I will be near the "monster" facility in 2 months and can throw it through their window if you need me to return it.
            Mouse better represents instead of Monster...

Yep, I've seen all the Spike shows use them, that's why I thought they were good. Lesson learned.

I'll wrap all the old parts up and you can sling them through their window.

Comment

Pulled the trans out and tore it down. The fluid was dark and burnt. There was only 13,000 miles on the fluid. The pan had fine metal shavings in it, most of it stuck to the magnets. So far I haven't found anything broken/damaged. The 2-4 band I replaced last January looked like it got hot, but not really worn. The reverse clutches looked similar, blackish but not worn. The rest of the clutch packs looked great. I haven't pulled all the seals out yet to see if any failed. I'm thinking the converter failed and that's where the fine metal came from. There was also a little clutch material sludge in the pan. Time to order parts.
              Attached Files

Comment

Maybe time for an auxillary tranny cooler?
                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                  Maybe time for an auxillary tranny cooler?
                  I put one on it when I replaced the trans the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                    I put one on it when I replaced the trans the first time.
                    Fix it now k k kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Man View Post
                      Fix it now k k kevin
                      Ok t t t timmae...

Comment

Update

The rebuild parts and fluid was $570.00 Been driving it for a few weeks and all is good.

I checked the clutch pack tolerances as I tore it apart and found the 3-4 packs way off. They were about 30 thousands over the max. There was some wear on the packs, but not that much. I know this would have worn the 3-4 clutches out well before they should have. The steels between the frictions got super hot. I compared the 3-4 clutches to the new heavy duty ones I bought and there was 1 less friction and steel. I fit 7 frictions in to their 6. All I had to buy to make them work was a slightly thinner retaining ring. That gave me a nice gap right in the middle of the max/min.

I never did find any reason for the metal shaving in the pan, or why it just quit working that day. It had to be the torque converter.

When I first put the new trans in, the 1-2 shift was very firm. Firm enough I felt that if the van was 2wd, it would have chirped the tires. I emailed Monster about it and never got a reply. The extra hard shift is gone now.

Let it be known, Monster transnission SUCKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X