WrenchMonkey is Famous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WrenchMonkey is Famous!

Latest issue of Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road, he got his letter to the editor published... and Rick agreed with him

Cool stuff!
    Just another three linked stretched '95 YJ on 38s with a bunch of stuff scattered on the garage floor.

Ha! No ****?!?

I gotta check my mailbox!

DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Yup just read that.. Robert was fired up it seems.. ha ha
      just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

Yeah, I don't remember using that many exclamation points. I guess there's a good chance I mighta been drinking...

Comment

Hmm,guess I'll pick one up today and see what it's about.

Nick
          Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
          Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
            Hmm,guess I'll pick one up today and see what it's about.

Nick
            You gotta read the original article, Cheap Truck Challenge, from a couple issues ago:
            Intro
            93 LandCruiser
            89 XJ
            77 F150
            Head to head

Basically, they gave each guy $2013 to buy a rig, $2013 to fix it up, and ran em head to head. The XJ (of course) cleaned everybody's clock. But to be nice about it, they basically said "Everybody's a winner!" like we were hangin out with Barney or something.

I called em on it!

Pfft. You guys suck! That touchy-feely, everybody's-a-winner BS is for hippies. Contests have winners! Call one!

The pay-way ecks-jay took two out of three challenges, and was the only rig that actually got itself to the trail. How "cheap" is it to budget a towrig and trailer?

Yeah, the Ford is cool looking, but if that's what mattered most, you coulda held the "challenge" at the mall!

XJ for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
              I called em on it!
              Hell Yeah!!!Good Job.

Nick
              Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
              Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

So did they call a winner?

Comment

The XJ (of course) cleaned everybody's clock. But to be nice about it, they basically said "Everybody's a winner!" like we were hangin out with Barney or something.

I called em on it!

[/QUOTE]

So if it was a different rig other than than the Jeep that got the lockers front & rear with the most experienced driver how would the challenge have turned out ?? Really not a fair challenge as far as I'm concerned, A driver is a major part of the performance of a rig. So it it really fair to say (the XJ of course cleaned everybody's clock ) This almost sounds like its a jeep thing attitude. Just stating the facts as I see em, not trying to get anyone fired up but you have to look at different points of view.
                  No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Ha! Of course I'm XJ-biased, I do think they're the best budget-wheeler available today...

But my criticism was just about this particular XJ build, compared to this particular Yota build, compared to this particular Ford build.

I think the budget priorities on the XJ were spot-on: A mild lift, cheap basic armor, inexpensive retread mud tires, and a couple lunchbox lockers. That's how you wheel cheap.

Compared to the FZJ, where they blew most of their cash on chromo axles they didn't need, then (realizing the street tires and open diffs were gonna leave em stuck) spent the rest on a winch.

Compared to the Ford, worst of all. Buy a neglected, 35 year old truck for $1200. Fix NOTHING. Bolt on $2600 in wheels n tires the rig can't handle anyway. Think you're a wheeler.

So yes, I think the XJ build was miles ahead of the others. But to answer your question (finally!): Yes again. If the same quality build was applied to the yota, and the hack job was done to the jeep, I would definitely recognize which was better done.

I'm brand-loyal, not delusional.

Comment

I'm brand-loyal, not delusional.

Ha Ha.... Was hoping..Just making sure

Comment

hell i think I could have done it even better. buy a samy, spoa it, weld the front and rear,ag tires or terminator tires.. maybe buy the chromo axles.. wheel it and buy everyone some beer with left overs... good timess
                        Thanks,
                        67fastback

-------------
                        84 Honda cr60r - for sale
                        87 Honda 200sx - for sale
                        67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
                        04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
                        87 sami - "SPLAT"
                        87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
                        88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

I do think they're the best budget-wheeler available today...
                          I agree. They're pretty impressive from the factory.

Originally posted by 67fastback View Post
                          hell i think I could have done it even better. buy a samy, spoa it, weld the front and rear,ag tires or terminator tires.. maybe buy the chromo axles.. wheel it and buy everyone some beer with left overs... good timess
                          The rules stated no welding the gears up. Your gonna have to take the beer back...

Comment

well i cant say for sure...prolly still the Xj.. but if a MJ showed up..**** they all would have been beat...

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
                            The XJ (of course) cleaned everybody's clock. But to be nice about it, they basically said "Everybody's a winner!" like we were hangin out with Barney or something.

I called em on it!

So if it was a different rig other than than the Jeep that got the lockers front & rear with the most experienced driver how would the challenge have turned out ?? Really not a fair challenge as far as I'm concerned, A driver is a major part of the performance of a rig. So it it really fair to say (the XJ of course cleaned everybody's clock ) This almost sounds like its a jeep thing attitude. Just stating the facts as I see em, not trying to get anyone fired up but you have to look at different points of view.[/QUOTE]
                            just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

[QUOTE=comanchedude;77811]well i cant say for sure...prolly still the Xj.. but if a MJ showed up..**** they all would have been beat...

Ha ! Ha ! I knew that was coming... There is somethin wrong with you.. You aint right...

Comment

Working...
                              X