4.0 Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 Death

Engine went to 260 and blew a hose in my xj.Now she won't stay runnin. I'm assuming head gasket went.203k on the clock.Do I fix, replace or repower? Tight budget. I like little 4 cyl. diesels though......?

Depends.. if its the gasket, then replace and keep on truck'n. if its the head itself, then I would start looking for options.

Comment

Tight budgets and diesel conversions do not go together...

Fixing what you have is almost always cheaper. Even if you have to replace the whole engine, a bolt-in replacement is going to be faster, easier and cheaper.
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I guess I'll get the head off and go from there.I'm just thinking it's probably cracked.
        BTW i was just reading that there's a 4.0 poweresd vehicle in the current Dakar rally.

Comment

Put a tstat and new hose on and try it first... It's likely not runnin because of lack of coolant I noticed both if our 4.0 engines don't run right without coolant system sealed up and coolant in them ..., or u may have frozen it and junked it ... Is that possible?
          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Something is freezing up.The crank pulley is smoking the belt.Accys are barely turning. I'm thinking water pump or power steering.

Comment

Originally posted by bootlegger View Post
              Something is freezing up.The crank pulley is smoking the belt.Accys are barely turning. I'm thinking water pump or power steering.
              Oh, well if it's just an accessory, you're definitely better off fixing. Pull the serp belt, and see what won't turn by hand. Easy.

Unless you were looking for an excuse to bump up to a V8. I don't mean to discourage that!

Comment

Originally posted by bootlegger View Post
                I guess I'll get the head off and go from there.I'm just thinking it's probably cracked.
                BTW i was just reading that there's a 4.0 poweresd vehicle in the current Dakar rally.
                There are two Jeeps in the Dakar and the top one was in 94th spot as of yesterday.

Comment

After removing the belt , everything turns freely!!??
                  Good news is the oil looks fine and it drove back to the barn ok.I think i will change t stat, put a new hose and belt on ,fill up on critter killer and hope for the best.

Comment

My tj over heated at big rock last summer cause my electric fan motor gave up. It ran like **** for a while after I cooled it down, then was fine. They have to relearn after over heating
                    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Comment

Originally posted by tjrider View Post
                      They have to relearn after over heating
                      Depends on the year. Pre-91 was Renix, and stone simple.

Overheated mine at DTOR after filling the radiator with mud. Cleaned it out and went on my merry way. No learning required...

Comment

Update: Today I put a new t-stat, water pump, upper hose and distilled water/ prestone mix and she seems fine.What a relief!!! And right before the snow started to fly.
                        It ran for way too long with the gauge pegged at 260 before I could get it off the road.So I was sure that it was going to be damaging.
                        BTW I'm a huge believer in Motorkote and I run it in all my vehicles.

Comment

Good deal!

For what it's worth, I'm a huge believer in the 4-0. Awful hard to kill the bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                            Good deal!

For what it's worth, I'm a huge believer in the 4-0. Awful hard to kill the bastards!
                            x2.

the 4.0 in my old 95 ZJ has had the temp gauge buried multiple times, ran at the rev limiter for extended periods of time, been on Fire, and just generally beat on and still fires up and runs like a champ through all the abuse.
                            beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Working...
                            X