Local transmission shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local transmission shop?

As many saw, my 02 Burban took the ride of shame home from the CORE Tour on the back of a flatbed.

The 4L80E needs to be rebuilt. Any recommendations?

I talked to Tony, he was happy with Cottman, but I had hoped to do it cheaper than the $2300 he paid them.

I saw Tim recommend Widener out in Batesville, but that's a long haul and his description doesn't sound cheap, either.

A friend got a $1300 quote from L&L down in Florence. I'm not familiar, BBB gives them an A, for whatever that's worth.

I guess I was hoping to stay on the east side, but if a $100 tow saves me $500 on the bill, that's easy math...

So, any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

tranny

You could buy this on online keek your original

http://www.rebuilttransmissionsupply...olt-pan-4l70e/
    HECKOUT
    Shopping Cart
    Item Description Qty Sub-Total
    Suburban 2006 - 2008 6.0 16 bolt pan 4l70e (4l70e : Suburban 2006 - 2008 6.0 16 bolt pan 4l70e)
    Vehicle Year 2006
    Engine Size 6.0
    Drive Train 4x4
    1 $1,050.00
    Sub-Total $1,050.00
    Shipping (Shipping Rates) $100.00
    Total Order Charges $1,150.00
    just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

Buckeye Trans in Hillsboro said $2,000 with R&R, new converter, and "all the upgrades". It's a little hole in the wall place but everybody recommends them.

$1,300 seems dirt cheap. Does that include R&R of the trans or just a carry in rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by comanchedude View Post
        You could buy this on online keek your original

Suburban 2006 - 2008 6.0 16 bolt pan 4l70e
        Vehicle Year 2006
        Engine Size 6.0
        Drive Train 4x4
        1 $1,050.00
        Sub-Total $1,050.00
        Shipping (Shipping Rates) $100.00
        Total Order Charges $1,150.00
        That is a smoking deal. Even my 02 4L80E is only a little more.

But one, the Burb won't fit in my garage, and changing a tranny in the snow doesn't sound fun. And two, I'd really rather stay local. I vividly remember Monster telling Kevin: "Sure, it's under warranty. Just ship it back to us on your dime, and we'll look at it."

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
        $1,300 seems dirt cheap. Does that include R&R of the trans or just a carry in rebuild?
        That's what I thought, and he said it was R&R.

I need to call and verify I can get that price, and it's not just a buddy-deal.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
          I'd really rather stay local. I vividly remember Monster telling Kevin: "Sure, it's under warranty. Just ship it back to us on your dime, and we'll look at it."
          For sure, do not buy a trans online!! Stay local...

Comment

Could try this guy.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/4766872660.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/4766873381.html

Comment

Maybe he can do yours

Comment

How about andy at ACE automotive? Hears he moved from hamilton and I want to say its around Batavia maybe?

Comment

Jim widener is very reasonable and a stand up guy. Not as expensive as you would think. Its a haul from you. Is the transmission a 4l80e? I thought the 8.1 had a 5spd transmission. 4L85E ?

Comment

I sent a message to a friend Brian at Source1. They just opened a new shop in Newport and I think they have shops in Goshen and Mainville also. I assume your Suburban is 4x4

Comment

Talked to the guy from L&L, seemed friendly and competent. Confirmed $1350, and he can do it next week.

I think that's gonna be hard to beat.

Edit: Yes, 4x4, 8.1, and 4L80E...

Comment

The suspense has kept me up at night. Did you get it done?
                        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

I'm picking it up in an hour...

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                            I'm picking it up in an hour...
                            Update, update, update!!!

Comment

Ha! Sorry, I hate it when people leave you hangin...

Got it back, been driving it a few days. It seems to be shifting fine, I guess time will tell.

Would I recommend them? Yeah, I guess.

Their $1350 quote turned into $2500 by the time they were done, including the $100 tow. Guy explained (or claimed?) that every moving part in it was either seized, scored, or shattered. I knew there were issues beyond a typical rebuild, so I can't call him a liar. He offered to help find another used one to do a basic rebuild on, but it would've been just as expensive, and this way I got all new internals, including a valve body he says he didn't charge me for.

So I dunno. If he did everything he said, I think it was very fair. I wasn't in a position to watch it come apart, or go back together, or even see the parts they replaced. So it's not really fair for me to question what they did or didn't do.

But I still got a little of that "Did I get hosed?" feeling...

Comment

Working...
                              X