Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeep shop for re-gearing? recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep shop for re-gearing? recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a couple good local shops in the cinci area to
    change out my jeep wrangler gears? I am near Kings Island

Hm. I went to George all three times I needed gears set. Never had an issue.
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Maybe because he had extra black RTV and used it on your rig.

Comment

Not a offroad shop, but local to Kings Island (Maineville) and experienced with gear setups. Halt Auto on Sibcy rd has set up gears for one of my offroad rigs.

They installed lockers and set up the gears in my Cherokee based Buggy then wtih a D30 and D44 combo. I beat the crap out of those axles and never had an issue. They are one of the few shops I take one of my vehicles too.

Jim

Comment

gears

call victory lane diesel/auto service,tony turco,513-324-0419.there in liberty twp by tractor suply on rt 4. x-race car driver with the tool and knowhow.
          not as cloes as others,but this gives you another option

Comment

How about buying the tools to do it and giving it a shot yourself? Once you figure it out with help from the net, you know how to do it for life. A little hard with a daily driver, but totally doable.

I did this and the first one took for ever. did the second one and then realized I didn't get the first one quite right. Then re-did the front. I would do it the same way all over again.
            1976 CJ 5
            1984 CJ 7
            1993 K3500 GMC 6.5 TD

Comment

Originally posted by tbshakie View Post
              How about buying the tools to do it and giving it a shot yourself? Once you figure it out with help from the net, you know how to do it for life. A little hard with a daily driver, but totally doable.

I did this and the first one took for ever. did the second one and then realized I didn't get the first one quite right. Then re-did the front. I would do it the same way all over again.
              I did the same thing. I've done more than I can remember now.

Comment

Updating for others down the road...

Apparently, Big George has retired, so he's out.

Halt Auto (in Maineville, that Jim used) took a couple calls to get back, but finally quoted me ~$500 (7hrs @ $70), and said I might as well bring my own parts.

That didn't seem bad to me, but I ended up going to a friend of a friend, off US50 north of Batavia.

He gave me a really good deal, said that he'd do others cheap, too.

But. He'd really rather (like only) do loose axles on the bench. If that's worth saving a couple-few hundred bucks to you, let me know, and I'll get you in touch with him...

Robert
                DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                  I did the same thing. I've done more than I can remember now.
                  Been setting up rearends from a lawnmower to 5 ton toploader rearends & power dividers for about the last 18 years, along with rebuilding 8-18 speed transmissions. I don't always have alot of time on my hands to do em but if you are not in a major rush get a hold of me and if ya wanna drop it off I will do it as quick as I can. I charge very reasonable and have never had anyone complain. Will setup specifically for offroad or on road.
                  No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
                    Been setting up rearends from a lawnmower to 5 ton toploader rearends & power dividers for about the last 18 years, along with rebuilding 8-18 speed transmissions. I don't always have alot of time on my hands to do em but if you are not in a major rush get a hold of me and if ya wanna drop it off I will do it as quick as I can. I charge very reasonable and have never had anyone complain. Will setup specifically for offroad or on road.
                    ^^^OP. I can speak from first hand experience, this IS your best and most cost effective option. Jim taught me the basics and i've since been setting up gears myself.
                    1985 4runner "Redneck Gigalo"

Comment

Originally posted by bbtank45 View Post
                      ^^^OP. I can speak from first hand experience, this IS your best and most cost effective option. Jim taught me the basics and i've since been setting up gears myself.

Is your your junk almost ready for the wheeling season?

End hijack...

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post

Is your your junk almost ready for the wheeling season?

End hijack...
                        No doubt, you gonna be ready ?
                        No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

I wish i had some better pictures...

I have the majority of the parts on hand, just need to get busy. Ive had some delays in my build schedule relating to my daily drivers....o and i was in the Carribean on a family cruise for a bit too

I have the motor (sending harness & ECM to Jims performance next week), trans, all hydro steering components, everything for the front 3 link.

Still need to find: aluminum radiator and fan, gauges, CO's......time!!!

Wheeling this year is a personal priority....im going to make it happen. Billy has his rig ready to rock; he should be finished with his new gauges this week.

Ill keep you posted.
                          1985 4runner "Redneck Gigalo"

Comment

Originally posted by bbtank45 View Post
                            I wish i had some better pictures...

I have the majority of the parts on hand, just need to get busy. Ive had some delays in my build schedule relating to my daily drivers....o and i was in the Carribean on a family cruise for a bit too

I have the motor (sending harness & ECM to Jims performance next week), trans, all hydro steering components, everything for the front 3 link.

Still need to find: aluminum radiator and fan, gauges, CO's......time!!!

Wheeling this year is a personal priority....im going to make it happen. Billy has his rig ready to rock; he should be finished with his new gauges this week.

Ill keep you posted.
                            Well hurry up.

Comment

Working...
                            X