Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to think about

Sit back relax and enjoy a tale.

It was many years ago a group of 4x4's meet up at natural bridge to take a ride. 39" tires were huge and 33" were common. I think it was around year 2000. Seven vehicles running through some trails, and we approach a mud hole. First jeep goes through easy peasy. The second jeep blast through showering water in all directions. Then came a mighty samurai running 29" tires a new driver and a young family.

The driver's name was Brian. He was new to the group and was eager to go and to push the limits. That mud hole had other plans and stopped him dead in his tracks. Mud was slinging from the front and rear tires. The samurai dug deeper and deeper, all the while a huge smile mixed with angst and frustration grew on his face. Pushing mud forward, he went nowhere. 3 minutes passed, 5 minutes passed, 10 minutes passed. Other vehicles clawed around the bypass and drivers, co-drivers and families jumped out and watched as Brian never gave up hope.

A few instructions were hollered out. You know, the useful ones "Give it more gas!" "Turn side to side!" "Don't let that wee hole win!" Brian must have decided he was through trying. He grabbed reverse slinging that mud forward right where everyone was standing. Bodies dodged and jumped. Some succeeded, some did not. Backing out of the mud hole about 15 feet, Brian did the only thing a sane person could do.

He put it back into first gear and put the pedal to the floor. The little truck that could, it jumped up a bit and launched back into that now 3 1/2 foot deep hole. Wildly Brian turned right and left and right and left. The crowd cheered, Brian's wife screaming in his ear. If you've ridden in a samurai you know, it's awfully close quarters. Jeannie Screaming "GO GO GO GO GOOO" with a huge smile on her face.

In the backseat strapped down tight a 1 year boy tucked deep into car seat was zonked out and missing this excitement. That samurai caught some traction lifting the left side and then the right. The rear pumpkin struck the bank and pop. The vehicle was free and now sat ten feet in front of that obstacle. Brian and Jeannie jumped out of the vehicle excited and happy. That feeling when adrenalin is running and you just know you can conquer anything. That feeling that no mountain is too high and no hole is to deep.

Yes the baby woke, and the family celebrated.

Brian and I saw each other from time to time off-roading. A few years later we spoke at a Christmas party. Brian had cancer; it was a somber discussion while his son Tyler and my children Shelby, Jared and Fred rolled around on the ground and played. Like that mud hole he was going to take this as just another difficult challenge he was going to win and had already returned back to work a testament to his strength.

Even more time later around 2006 my son Jared joined boy scouts. Low and behold there was this young man I just couldn't put my finger on why or how I knew him. Several months later and I finally ran into his parents. Wow, it's amazing how people come and go and come back into ones lives. Brian and I would see each other from time to time talk about four wheeling even though neither of us had been in quite some time. Talk about how we wanted to get our children out there with us and even about concurring that mud hole of days passed.

For several years I watched Tyler grow from a young scout to a young man, with all the responsibilities of such, plus more. Brian had been dealing with additional surgeries, additional cancer and additional strife from being unable to work.

This story started out around the year 2000 and part of this story is ending soon. I have been told Brian Hitsman, once a CORE member and always a great person to be around, has decided to go to hospice, his wife Jeannie and son Tyler standing strong and unified as a family.

I told this story to the boy scouts last night, as I am now their scoutmaster. They laughed in the beginning, as I hope you did and recognized the gravity of life as I'm sure you will.

Hold close your families and friends and even those that come and go and come through your lives.

I assigned each scout and parent homework last night.
    When it's dark and before your eyes close, when your mind finally finds quiet, think about someone you are thankful for if it's God, your mother or your mentor or best friend. Tomorrow when you wake let them know how thankful you are.

My thoughts and prayers go to the Hitsman family. Thank you for sharing a small part of your lives with me.
    Last edited by Bear Chow; 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM.

That's a great story. I did this same thing a few months ago. It was the weekend right after thanksgiving. I had to work all week including on thanksgiving. We met with family ate and reminisced. I was at work on Sunday and my boss comes running out of the office telling me I need to leave immediately my wife's grandmother had passed. I froze in disbelief. So I ran out of work called my wife and she was in hysterics. Her beloved grandmother passed in her sleep. There was no illness or anything known to the family but it was a shock to all. I called everyone in my family told them how munched I loved them and hugged my wife and son a little tighter from that day on. Never take anything for granted in this life. It could all be gone in a blink of an eye.

My thoughts and prayers go to the hitsman family. I to was in boy scouts and am an eagle scout. I learned many good values and morals from the scouts.

Comment

That is a great story. I'm very sorry to hear about Brian
      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

I hope Brian finds the peace he has earned

Comment

When I read this it reminded me of my nephew Brian. He was diagnosed with brain cancer around his 1st birthday. He went into convulsions coming home from his birthday party. He fought as hard as he could, and met the Lord a week after his second birthday. All the way up to the day he died, he would always say, "I happy". I'll tell ya, carrying a 3' coffin was by far the saddest thing I've ever done. He would be in his late twenties now.
          Cancer knows no bounds. Live life while you have it.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read a snippet of my life as it crossed roads with another.

Brian Hitsman will no longer intersect another trail with mine, except for the stories to be told to future acquaintances and friends. There are no more roads for him to travel, there are no more bumps to jostle his bones. Today we make time for sadness.

Tomorrow we continue anew. I have had losses in my life, as all do. Ten plus years ago I had a revelation. It was a moment of thought I spat out of my mouth to prevent regression into more days of despair.

I was speaking with a friend about my sister Renee, She too has left while we must remain. My friend and I were talking of my sister and I as we had great adventures together and how we had affected each others lives. As I told my friend of her passing her immediate response was, "I'm sorry".

No! I said in a rather quick and harsh tone. I thought for a moment and then softened my tone. I told her, you need not be sad. I've just spent the last fifteen minutes sharing her life with you, I've spoken aloud of good times and bad. Those tales have entertained you, and allowed me to recall why I cherished her so deeply. I appreciate taking the moment to think about her again.

I was excited. I had released the disdain of death and grasped everything left in my memories. She was more vivid and alive than ever and now when the times are right I'll share some of those same stories with anyone interested in listening.

I don't want to detract from the seriousness of the moment. Today and tomorrow the family will continue to be resolve in silence. However; days after that when they least expect it that silence will end. Stories will be told and his name will be spoken. Brian Hitsman will continue to be. And the family will recognize he too is vivid and alive in their hearts and in their minds.
            Last edited by Bear Chow; 02-15-2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers are with the family. Nothing can ever prepare us or our loved ones when we're called upstairs to the big guy.

Comment

Working...
              X